The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The Ultimate Southampton University Accommodation Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobertWhite
Can you get halls, catered and ensuite? It looks like you can't anymore? :frown:

En-suite isn't really worth it.

Going enhanced will be much cheaper, and in addition you'll have your own cleaner 4 days a week instead of having to look after your own bathroom when inspection-time comes.

Not sure what the catered food is like, imagine it's probably similar to SUSU Cafe standard, which is actually pretty decent.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by marcusmerehay
En-suite isn't really worth it.

Going enhanced will be much cheaper, and in addition you'll have your own cleaner 4 days a week instead of having to look after your own bathroom when inspection-time comes.

Not sure what the catered food is like, imagine it's probably similar to SUSU Cafe standard, which is actually pretty decent.

Probably a really stupid question, but is toilet roll provided or not? :confused:
Original post by chaz1992
Probably a really stupid question, but is toilet roll provided or not? :confused:

For en-suite I don't think so, in the same way cleaning products aren't provided.

For other rooms the toilet roll is supplied and replenished by the cleaner.
Reply 43
For en-suite I don't think so, in the same way cleaning products aren't provided.

For other rooms the toilet roll is supplied and replenished by the cleaner.

YAY! That's gonna save me £3 per week probs!

I agree that enhanced rooms are the way to go.
I hope I get an ensuite. I dunno, I just feel more secure knowing I'll be the only one using my toilet :/

With the rooms that require an electricity top up card, how much are they please? (The cards). On my department open day they said it wasn't a lot but I forgot to make a note of the price.
Reply 45
Just to be sure, a postrad with conditional offer wont know if he gets offered an accomodation until august???
Reply 46
We don't recieve an offer for accomodation until we get our official place in speptember right? What are the chances that i will get my ensuite room in Wessex Lane/Glyne Eyre?
Reply 47
Hello I am going to be studying at Southampton for Economics which is located on the Highfield campus. I have a few questions which I hope could be answered.

I want an en-suite room, self catered, near to highfield campus and very socialble (as i will be going alone)...any reccomendations? Also out of wessex lane, glen eyre and small halls which is closest to highfield campus as i am doing econ!!

Much appreciated if someone could get back to me =D ...
Reply 48
does anyone know if highfield halls is any good? are there many undergraduates there? or mostly post grads?
many thanks!!
Reply 49
Okay, so now that I have actually firmed Southampton, I need to research accommodation...

Which halls are best for social life and sport? I'll be joining the American Football and Athletics clubs, which I'll be pretty dedicated to, so easy access to those training grounds would be nice. But in my down time I want to have lots of fun obviously, so perhaps it'd be best to keep some distance from the science/engineering buildings? I generally get on better with people who aren't scientists...
Is it only postgrads who receive accommodation replies after results come out, or do new undergrads too? I'm an undergrad and I applied about 5 weeks ago - still no response.
Reply 51
Original post by THEALB10N
Is it only postgrads who receive accommodation replies after results come out, or do new undergrads too? I'm an undergrad and I applied about 5 weeks ago - still no response.

Do you have unconditional? I couldn't really find anything about unconditionals. If you have a conditional then logically you have to wait for the results.
(edited 12 years ago)
OP - You should put a link in your post to the private rented society for people to be aware of!

It will be more difficult than usual for applying post-grads to get guaranteed accomodation with the absence of Chamberlain Halls for next year. Not sure on the exact number, but it removes about 150-200 rooms that would normally be available.

All undergraduates are guaranteed accomodation, however - even if it means being twinned for the first few weeks while they work out who hasn't turned up.

Actually, the conditions under which first year undergrads are guaranteed accommodation are quite strict. You need to have applied by the deadline (which I believe is 1st Aug) and have firmed Southampton on UCAS. If Soton is insurance then the student isn't guaranteed accommodation but is likely to get it.
Can anyone reccomend which accomodation would be best for nursing students? :smile:
Original post by tomandsnow2
Can anyone reccomend which accomodation would be best for nursing students? :smile:

Hi mate, my gf currently goes to soton and through her i know a few nursing students down there. They all live on wessex lane in the monte complex. Ive been told that most nursing students live in those halls and the Monte complex is especially good as the buses go every 10 mins.
Original post by kresius
Do you have unconditional? I couldn't really find anything about unconditionals. If you have a conditional then logically you have to wait for the results.

I've got a conditional. I am guaranteed a place, right? I'd be rather concerned if I didn't as I would then be arriving in soton with my bags but no place to stay! :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Original post by THEALB10N
I've got a conditional. I am guaranteed a place, right? I'd be rather concerned if I didn't as I would then be arriving in soton with my bags but no place to stay! :s-smilie:

Don't worry, anyone that applies before 1st August and has firmed Soton is guaranteed accommodation, you are not guaranteed you will get your choice though (But very likely there were stats in the accommodation leaflet about how many % of applicants got their 1st choice and top3 choice, I think).
Reply 57
i've gone for Glenn Eyre as it seemed nice and green :biggrin: put down a variety of rooms, so don't know what I'll get - just as long as the people are fun I don't mind tbh :biggrin:. O and also I don't think (so I've been told) that anyone hears about accomodation until after all exam results are out - so late August; this means everyone has fair chance of accomodation they want I guess :/
Reply 58
Highfield counts as small halls, as does Bencraft. They can't be specific, since they've got fewer rooms than the individual sections of Glen Eyre/Monte.

Ahh so you can't choose highfield specifically?
Original post by shygirl135
Ahh so you can't choose highfield specifically?

Not as far as I remember.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending