The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Qns for devonshire hall - help!!

I went to the accomodation viewing day yesterday and loved DH, private parties arnt allowed (which was a plus, i'm a light sleeper), the enviroment, the bar etc, but i've been reading a few bad comments about it on here :s-smilie:

things like;

- posh people choose that residence
- and rich people
- they only like like art/music/drama
- they keep to themselves

i live in london so i'll be far away from home; is the stuff about DH true or are students just exaggerating?

and what are "rah" people/girls???
Reply 1
Rah = Someone who went to private school (or wish they had), likes rugby (not football), probably a member of a rowing, sailing or yachting club, refer to their parents as "Mummy and Daddy". Boys: often seen to be wearing a lemon (or any pastel shade) sweatshirt slung casually over their shoulders and deck shoes.
Girls: Dress similar to that of boys along with pearls, numerous shopping bags and Daddy's credit card.
Names often include: Rupert, Will, Guy, Jeremy, Emily, Alexandra, Henrietta, Harriet. Followed by a double/triple barrelled surname, e.g. Harrington-Smythe.

Say Urban Dictionary.

Basically rich, privately educated, Jack Wills and Uggs wearing, posh, think they're above everyone else. Generally one to avoid.
(edited 13 years ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by tuma19
I went to the accomodation viewing day yesterday and loved DH, private parties arnt allowed (which was a plus, i'm a light sleeper), the enviroment, the bar etc, but i've been reading a few bad comments about it on here :s-smilie:

things like;

- posh people choose that residence
- and rich people
- they only like like art/music/drama
- they keep to themselves

I've been staying in Dev this year so I'll try and answer your questions based on my experiences

On the private party thing, I think it may differ from block to block on how strict they are with that rule, the sub warden is the person responsible for stopping them, so it depends on him/her - pre-drinks in the hallway before going out is fine in our block.

Environment is nice, not many people use the bar though, unless its an open mic night or something similar

On the posh people/rah/rich thing, yeah there are a few of them around, some of them are nice enough and some are a little snobby to say the least :s-smilie: I guess wherever you go though you're going to meet people you do and don't get on with. The art/music/drama part is completely wrong (in my block at least). Keeping themselves to themselves is not really accurate either, usually when we go out we go as a block

Don't let the whole posh thing put you off, yeah there are a few of them around admittedly but not everyone is like that - obviously there will be with different people staying here next year so I can't tell you exactly what its going to be like but hopefully you've got a general idea :smile:
Reply 3
thanx for telling me about DH :smile: im glad their not all like that, there are enough of these ppl where i am now :|

- hmmm you'd think 'rah' ppl were from american shows like 90210 :s-smilie:

thanx again !!
Reply 4
hi whats the social scene like a DH ive applied but have recently come accross negative feedback. i like to go out alot drink and party but will their be others around with the same attitude as me!!
Reply 5
There are always stereotypes of people at the different accommodations.
As with many stereotypes, it can be true to a certain extent but by no means applies to everyone at Dev!
Dev does claim to have a 'strong musical tradition', and so there may be a few more music students there in comparison with some other residences but I really haven't noticed it. I'm a medic and there seemed to be quite a few of us, as well as a whole mixture of others.

As for the posh/rich thing, I would say it's much more true of the catered than self catered students at Dev. I was self-catered and found everyone to be really lovely and down to earth. I'm friends with lots of the catered people as well (although there can be a slight divide) and I know they find catered to be a bit 'rah' and some people to be a bit up themselves.

One drawback to Dev is the reception - only open 8-10am and 4-6pm which can be inconvenient depending on your course. You're supposed to be able to call the subwardens at other times but they're a bit rubbish!

Don't be put off by the posh reputation Dev has. It doesn't apply to everyone. I had the time of my life there, it's beautiful and wherever you are you'll meet lovely people!
If you want to ask anything about the accommodation or Leeds in general let me know! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest