Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR chess society

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidms001)
    Why have I just found out about this now? .. How do I join?

If any one fancies a game on chess.com , feel free to message me on there under the same name (currently around 1540 ish according to their rating system).
    added , I will pm you my chess .com username
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    Looking forward to it!

Yo don't mind correspondence play do you? I've just drowned myself in ~80 games that I can't keep up with
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to it!

Yo don't mind correspondence play do you? I've just drowned myself in ~80 games that I can't keep up with
    Gratz on firming Warwick, I guess Oxford didn't go well for both of us
    I'll sign up to chess.com, I used to play chess on the other online chess site.

If anyones up for a game then let me know
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.flyordie.com/chess/index.html

i play on this sometimes
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    1.d4-d5
    2.Nc3e6
    3.Nf3Bb4
    4.e3c6
    5.a3Qa5
    6.Bd2Bxc3
    7.Bxc3Qc7
    8.Bd3Nf6
    9.O-Oc5
    10.Bb5+Bd7
    11.Bxd7+Nfxd7
    12.Re1cxd4
    13.Qxd4Nf6
    14.e4Nc6
    15.Qa4Nxe4
    16.Bxg7Rg8
    17.Be5Qe7
    18.Nd4a6
    19.Nxc6b5
    20.Nxe7bxa4
    21.Nxg8f6
    22.Nxf6+Nxf6
    23.Bxf6

Here's my first game, I think I done ok, if anyone is bored can they go over this and let me know if I could improve? I'd be very grateful, I think my opponents move at 18 lost it for him. I was whites. He left after I took his knight

(Original post by Mr. Orange)
    http://www.flyordie.com/chess/index.html

i play on this sometimes
    That was the site I played on
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Man, you were tricky to find on there. I'll send you a friend request later when I decide to come out of vacation and catch you online to play. My ratings fall dramatically when we head into live .. What time limits do you prefer?

(Original post by Eloades11)
    Gratz on firming Warwick, I guess Oxford didn't go well for both of us
    I'll sign up to chess.com, I used to play chess on the other online chess site.

If anyones up for a game then let me know
    Hahaa! Naah.. I got utterly destroyed at my first interview, it was embarrassing. Second interview I was being interviewed by a Michael McIntyre look-alike (couldn't keep a straight face when making eye contact :teehee:). Third I forgot the word "standard deviation" and fourth I thought went okay .. How did yours go?

And congrats on firming Warwick yourself! Is that still for BioMed? My course is slightly away from the medical stuff and more into Chemistry of Biology (yet not biochemistry...) .. In fact, trying to write a PS for biomed at Oxford and Chemistry/Biology everywhere else was a pain :holmes:

Still, I'd love to play you! I can sign up to flyordie, or you can sign up to chess.com (which is probably easier to track when you're online)
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    1.d4-d5
    2.Nc3 e6
    3.Nf3 Bb4
    4.e3 c6
    5.a3 Qa5
    6.Bd2 Bxc3
    7.Bxc3 Qc7
    8.Bd3 Nf6
    9.O-O c5
    10.Bb5+ Bd7
    11.Bxd7+ Nfxd7
    12.Re1 cxd4
    13.Qxd4 Nf6
    14.e4 Nc6
    15.Qa4 Nxe4
    16.Bxg7 Rg8
    17.Be5 Qe7 -- BAAAD!
    18.Nd4 a6
    19.Nxc6 b5
    20.Nxe7 bxa4
    21.Nxg8 f6
    22.Nxf6+ Nxf6
    23.Bxf6

Here's my first game, I think I done ok, if anyone is bored can they go over this and let me know if I could improve? I'd be very grateful, I think my opponents move at 18 lost it for him. I was whites. He left after I took his knight

That was the site I played on
    I think his first mistake is on move 11 by taking with the wrong knight. He loses a tempo by moving off f6 (which is evident when you play Qxd4).

Then 15... Nxe4? .. Taking with the pawn is more effective defensively and threatens the f3 knight as it can't be taken with rook or queen since he then has Nxe4. But having the knight on e4 is targeting your kingside if he can get his queen over.

Spoiler:
    Show

17... Qe7? I would have gone Qd7 to protect the knight a bit more (but he's probably thinking his queen now has a route to kingside). When you play 18.Nd4, he can then play a6, as he's now no longer threatened. So while his move 18... a6 was bad, I think it came as a result of an inaccuracy at move 17.

Spoiler:
    Show

19.b4 is then forced by you. If you leave it and target his knight, he can play Nc5 and make it awkward for your queen.

Possible b4 scenario:
    Spoiler:
    Show

if you chase his knight:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Going back to the original game, after b5, you had it in the bag really

Yeaah... I love chess! :yep:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Man, you were tricky to find on there. I'll send you a friend request later when I decide to come out of vacation and catch you online to play. My ratings fall dramatically when we head into live .. What time limits do you prefer?

Hahaa! Naah.. I got utterly destroyed at my first interview, it was embarrassing. Second interview I was being interviewed by a Michael McIntyre look-alike (couldn't keep a straight face when making eye contact :teehee:). Third I forgot the word "standard deviation" and fourth I thought went okay .. How did yours go?

And congrats on firming Warwick yourself! Is that still for BioMed? My course is slightly away from the medical stuff and more into Chemistry of Biology (yet not biochemistry...) .. In fact, trying to write a PS for biomed at Oxford and Chemistry/Biology everywhere else was a pain :holmes:

Still, I'd love to play you! I can sign up to flyordie, or you can sign up to chess.com (which is probably easier to track when you're online)
    Oh right haha, I didn't even get to the interview stage, my BMAT was pretty average and my GCSE's weren't great But oh well, I should see you at Warwick then ;P

My username is Eloades11 on chess.com, I think I ruined my rating a bit when I failed the puzzles this morning hehe

I think his first mistake is on move 11 by taking with the wrong knight. He loses a tempo by moving off f6 (which is evident when you play Qxd4).

Then 15... Nxe4? .. Taking with the pawn is more effective defensively and threatens the f3 knight as it can't be taken with rook or queen since he then has Nxe4. But having the knight on e4 is targeting your kingside if he can get his queen over.

Spoiler:
    Show

17... Qe7? I would have gone Qd7 to protect the knight a bit more (but he's probably thinking his queen now has a route to kingside). When you play 18.Nd4, he can then play a6, as he's now no longer threatened. So while his move 18... a6 was bad, I think it came as a result of an inaccuracy at move 17.

Spoiler:
    Show

19.b4 is then forced by you. If you leave it and target his knight, he can play Nc5 and make it awkward for your queen.

Possible b4 scenario:
    Spoiler:
    Show

if you chase his knight:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Going back to the original game, after b5, you had it in the bag really

Yeaah... I love chess! :yep:
    Haha thanks a lot for that, just looking back at it, at 14 I should have taken the bishop with my queen instead? That would have been a much better move unless you can spot something
    Other than that I pretty much agree with you on about everything you said lol
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

yh I think that's becuse I have a very orignal username .. usually play 5 mins to 10 mins , havent played for a few days due to uni exams .So dont think Im ignoring you if I havent turned up for the game
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh right haha, I didn't even get to the interview stage, my BMAT was pretty average and my GCSE's weren't great But oh well, I should see you at Warwick then ;P

My username is Eloades11 on chess.com, I think I ruined my rating a bit when I failed the puzzles this morning hehe

Haha thanks a lot for that, just looking back at it, at 14 I should have taken the bishop with my queen instead? That would have been a much better move unless you can spot something
    Other than that I pretty much agree with you on about everything you said lol
    What accommodation have you/will you apply for at Warwick? And I'll see you for certain modules down at the Bio Science area, but I don't think we head to the medical center at all. Other than that, we do Chemistry modules slap bang in the middle of campus

And about your queen move, it was a dynamic move to get the piece active, so I quite liked it. If you took with the bishop you have space to develop the pawns over on the queen side

yh I think that's becuse I have a very orignal username .. usually play 5 mins to 10 mins , havent played for a few days due to uni exams .So dont think Im ignoring you if I havent turned up for the game
    And that's fine. My best live rating is 16 minutes +10 seconds, though I can play nearly as well at 8 minutes. When you hit the 5 minute game you just start playing off instinct

I sent you both a friend request on chess.com also
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    What accommodation have you/will you apply for at Warwick? And I'll see you for certain modules down at the Bio Science area, but I don't think we head to the medical center at all. Other than that, we do Chemistry modules slap bang in the middle of campus

And about your queen move, it was a dynamic move to get the piece active, so I quite liked it. If you took with the bishop you have space to develop the pawns over on the queen side

And that's fine. My best live rating is 16 minutes +10 seconds, though I can play nearly as well at 8 minutes. When you hit the 5 minute game you just start playing off instinct

I sent you both a friend request on chess.com also
    I haven't thought about it yet, I'm not looking for the most expensive accommodation, Westwood is a definite no go, too far away from Gibbits hill/hall(keep forgetting). Rootes is pretty close and cheap but I heard its noisy there as its next to the SU. Arthur vick is too expensive and a popular choice I think, at the moment I'm rooting for Tocil and Jack martin. I heard you're hoping to get AV right? Good luck, I think a lot of people want that one!
    I'll try and give you a game on chess soon, I don't think today though as I have a couple of maths papers to do, last minute panicking!
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't thought about it yet, I'm not looking for the most expensive accommodation, Westwood is a definite no go, too far away from Gibbits hill/hall(keep forgetting). Rootes is pretty close and cheap but I heard its noisy there as its next to the SU. Arthur vick is too expensive and a popular choice I think, at the moment I'm rooting for Tocil and Jack martin. I heard you're hoping to get AV right? Good luck, I think a lot of people want that one!
    I'll try and give you a game on chess soon, I don't think today though as I have a couple of maths papers to do, last minute panicking!
    Last minute panicking!? .. My first exam's not till the 13th June, so it'll be half term before I start worrying .. Do you have AS re-takes? or are you just thinking that 6 weeks isn't enough?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Last minute panicking!? .. My first exam's not till the 13th June, so it'll be half term before I start worrying .. Do you have AS re-takes? or are you just thinking that 6 weeks isn't enough?
    Well its last minute for me, homework due when we start again, I have a couple of re-takes which I'm worried about, but I think its a while before my exams in june. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to get ABB, I done terrible in january exams, which is not good at all
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well its last minute for me, homework due when we start again, I have a couple of re-takes which I'm worried about, but I think its a while before my exams in june. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to get ABB, I done terrible in january exams, which is not good at all
    Aww :jumphug: .. Do you get study leave? .. I can't wait to leave school, but we've got to go to next half term before we get study leave .. I think I've grown use to the holiday

And you'll do fine with the AS retakes. Since these last papers are partly synoptic (well, the Science ones anyway) then it will help you in those exams too
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    guys , sorry to be a dick , but can we actually keep the discussion to chess , otherwise other members wont find this very intresting
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aww :jumphug: .. Do you get study leave? .. I can't wait to leave school, but we've got to go to next half term before we get study leave .. I think I've grown use to the holiday

And you'll do fine with the AS retakes. Since these last papers are partly synoptic (well, the Science ones anyway) then it will help you in those exams too
    Thanks for the reassurance I think we're spamming this chess society a bit I don't know when study leave is, I'll find out when we go back.
    I've played a few more games on chess.com, you win some you lose some I guess. I need to work on the opening a bit more, I tend to lose some key points on the board
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reassurance I think we're spamming this chess society a bit I don't know when study leave is, I'll find out when we go back.
    I've played a few more games on chess.com, you win some you lose some I guess. I need to work on the opening a bit more, I tend to lose some key points on the board
    I can assure you, we may be spamming the society, but it happens in all of them

Back on Topic then:

Opening theory is great! All you need to do is experiment with a few. I was a 1.e4 player all my life, and have just started playing the 1.d4 opening. All others are a bit illogical. But on chess.com, you have a mahoosive opening database where you can just explore and find an opening that works for you.

As black, 1.e4 e5 just didn't work for me. I checked the database and started playing 1.e4 c5, which just seemed to work. And I haven't been back since .. (Mind you, it probably happened because 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 is called the Sicilian Dragon )

In the end, it just comes down to practice IMO. I have over 1,200 completed games on that website, so I've pretty much seen it all. (And the weird thing is, the higher raters play extremely similar openings to low raters for the first five or six moves.. Then they just seem to gain the advantage somehow )
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Screw the UK, I'm off to Armenia!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13140772
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Screw the UK, I'm off to Armenia!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13140772
    Brilliant! haha, I'm on chess.com from now until 22:00 if anyone wants a game or two?
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant! haha, I'm on chess.com from now until 22:00 if anyone wants a game or two?
    I'm in the live chess room. I'll challenge you if you come along

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2013
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.