The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Accommodation at Strathclyde University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by alaska.
I'll be 21. Even older. So I am really interested how it will work out with people who might be 4 years younger than me. The degree I'd like to do would be 5 years, so when I finish I'll be 26 (I think that counts as a mature student in the UK :biggrin:). Haha, lucky I didn't put in down. My boyfriend put it that way: If you like to party, you like to be invited to those parties, not giving them and cleaning all the mess up afterwards :biggrin:. He has a point :biggrin: Is your boyfriend a Scot as well? :smile: how interesting!

It's funny how starting uni at 20/21 is considered kind of old in Scotland, my bf says there's not many locals that do it, they're usually "well matured" if they're older than the school leavers haha. In Finland it's completely normal though, is it the same in Germany?

Yep, I've decided never to hold a party because there's no way I'm cleaning up after all the guests. Or then I have to create an after party with a cleaning theme... :colone:

He's a Scot as well, going to Strathy. I find it odd that he's now doing his 4th and second last year when he's only 2 years older than me. He'll finish uni when I've done my first year. Damn. :tongue: But, he's been an angel for me for the past year, helping me with applying to uni and passing all the uni halls horror stories over to me from his mates. :biggrin:
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 81
Original post by FinnLassie
It's funny how starting uni at 20/21 is considered kind of old in Scotland, my bf says there's not many locals that do it, they're usually "well matured" if they're older than the school leavers haha. In Finland it's completely normal though, is it the same in Germany?

Yep, I've decided never to hold a party because there's no way I'm cleaning up after all the guests. Or then I have to create an after party with a cleaning theme... :colone:

He's a Scot as well, going to Strathy. I find it odd that he's now doing his 4th and second last year when he's only 2 years older than me. He'll finish uni when I've done my first year. Damn. :tongue: But, he's been an angel for me for the past year, helping me with applying to uni and passing all the uni halls horror stories over to me from his mates. :biggrin:

Yeah, in Germany it is very normal to leave school with 20. It was very strange how my boyfriend was just 17 when he started Uni while I was slowly beginning to learn for my Abitur exams :biggrin:

We're in a bit better situation, as he repeats a year because he changed his course. So when I will come into first year, he will come into 2nd year. He is also more than a year younger. But you don't notice the age difference too much. I envy you for being at the same Uni - even if it is only for a year. Does he plan to work in Glasgow afterwards? My boyfriend studies at the University of Edinburgh (that is where I wanted to go initially, but they rejected me twice :frown: ) But travelling between Glasgow and Edinburgh will be a lot easier than managing Germany and Scotland. I am actually quite interested to see how it will work, because we nearly got used to a LDR after 4 years.
But, overall I am only excited and happy that we will be close to each other :love: How long have you guys been together?

Mhh, Cleaning-Up party. I do not know how many people would actually turn up to such a party if being invited. Especially when having a bad conscience from the last night where they have broken furniture :biggrin: Oh well, let's hope that won't happen! :smile: Tell me when you hear of the Residence Service, I am really excited how they will select roommates and where they end up putting everybody.
Original post by alaska.
Wow, I should tell my boyfriend! :biggrin: I think he is too shy to try to speak and use the german language! It is great you put so much effort into learning a language all by yourself.
Ah good to know, I am also in contact with a lady from the Undergraduate office. So I know my documents have been received.
I am from North-Rhine-Westphalia, maybe you've been there? :smile: Whereabouts is your girlfriend from?

Haha, I keep that in mind! :biggrin: I guess I will agree after my first year at Glasgow (my boyfriend studies in Edinburgh, so the discussion will be heated up all the time :biggrin:)

Never been to NRW, only been to Baden-WΓΌrttemberg last year. But I'm hoping to travel a lot in the summer while I'm there so maybe :awesome: And she isn't my girlfriend ah. There's a question for you, how do I distinguish "girlfriend" and "girl who is a friend"? She has a boyfriend too, so I probably shouldn't go around referring to her as "meine Freundin" :lol: She lives near Karlsruhe. I loved all the towns around there when I visited, loads of them looked all rustic :biggrin:

Was wirst du an Strathy studieren?
Reply 83
Original post by alaska.
Yeah, in Germany it is very normal to leave school with 20. It was very strange how my boyfriend was just 17 when he started Uni while I was slowly beginning to learn for my Abitur exams :biggrin:

We're in a bit better situation, as he repeats a year because he changed his course. So when I will come into first year, he will come into 2nd year. He is also more than a year younger. But you don't notice the age difference too much. I envy you for being at the same Uni - even if it is only for a year. Does he plan to work in Glasgow afterwards? My boyfriend studies at the University of Edinburgh (that is where I wanted to go initially, but they rejected me twice :frown: ) But travelling between Glasgow and Edinburgh will be a lot easier than managing Germany and Scotland. I am actually quite interested to see how it will work, because we nearly got used to a LDR after 4 years.
But, overall I am only excited and happy that we will be close to each other :love: How long have you guys been together?

Mhh, Cleaning-Up party. I do not know how many people would actually turn up to such a party if being invited. Especially when having a bad conscience from the last night where they have broken furniture :biggrin: Oh well, let's hope that won't happen! :smile: Tell me when you hear of the Residence Service, I am really excited how they will select roommates and where they end up putting everybody.

His area of work could be located anywhere after he graduates and he will go work wherever he gets in to, so after one year of LDR, then one year of "normal" relationship we could go back to LDR. But nothing is certain so I'm not going to worry or think about it. :smile: Your four years of LDR sounds like absolute madness to me - I told my boyfriend in the very beginning that if we have to go back and forth for more than this one year, I'm not going to do this anymore. I hate having a LDR.

I still find it funny how you applied to the exact same halls as me - I mean, a lot of people have applied to those halls, but to kind of know someone who has haha. :biggrin:

What's your biggest fear in a roommate? I would hate to be with someone who is either an absolute slob or an utter cleaning maniac! Extreme ends, bleh. Another horror image which will most likely happen is that after doing the dishes, they won't rinse off the soap. :afraid: Everyone seems to do that there...
Reply 84
Original post by GingerGoat
Never been to NRW, only been to Baden-WΓΌrttemberg last year. But I'm hoping to travel a lot in the summer while I'm there so maybe :awesome: And she isn't my girlfriend ah. There's a question for you, how do I distinguish "girlfriend" and "girl who is a friend"? She has a boyfriend too, so I probably shouldn't go around referring to her as "meine Freundin" :lol: She lives near Karlsruhe. I loved all the towns around there when I visited, loads of them looked all rustic :biggrin:

Was wirst du an Strathy studieren?

Baden-WΓΌrttemberg is supposed to be very very nice though :wink: NRW only got loads of cities to offer, not so much of beautiful landscapes. Yeah, if you need any suggestions where to go, incase you come to NRW let me know :smile:
Ahh, she isn't your girlfriend :K: oops. I misunderstood that :h: Ehm, to be honest there is not much of a difference. I guess I would refer to my boyfriend as "Mein Freund" and to friend who is a boy as "Ein Freund". That is how many people avoid those mistakes, however it still happens. Even when we use it :giggle:
Rustic, interesting :biggrin: I guess quite a lot of German cities are rustic then.

If I am lucky I can transfer my course to IMBL (International Business with Modern Languages). I originally applied for Business Enterprise but IMBL sounds a lot more interesting, especially because I love languages :love:
Reply 85
His area of work could be located anywhere after he graduates and he will go work wherever he gets in to, so after one year of LDR, then one year of "normal" relationship we could go back to LDR. But nothing is certain so I'm not going to worry or think about it. :smile: Your four years of LDR sounds like absolute madness to me - I told my boyfriend in the very beginning that if we have to go back and forth for more than this one year, I'm not going to do this anymore. I hate having a LDR.

I still find it funny how you applied to the exact same halls as me - I mean, a lot of people have applied to those halls, but to kind of know someone who has haha. :biggrin:

What's your biggest fear in a roommate? I would hate to be with someone who is either an absolute slob or an utter cleaning maniac! Extreme ends, bleh. Another horror image which will most likely happen is that after doing the dishes, they won't rinse off the soap. :afraid: Everyone seems to do that there...

Yeah, madness is a good word to describe it. I won't say it was easy. Because it was not. However you get used to it to a certain extent. The first two years were hard, I mean we were only 15 and 16 at the time... Everyday phonecalls and seeing each other at least once a month made us last :^_^: But I can understand you, if he goes away much further than Scotland it will be extremly difficult.

Yeaaah, same for me :biggrin: First I wanted to put down something else, but I thought having your own sink (Garnett) might be good if you have drunk flatmates who might misuse it after a party .... (don't want to think about it :yucky:) And James Blyth/ Thomas Campbell just looked nice in general :smile:

I think what you described is kind of similar for me. I do not like extremes too much either, also I like to become good friends with my flatmates but if they start to tell me how I should do my stuff I will get very annoyed :biggrin: I do not get on too well with people who like to be in a huff. So I hope there won't be too much trouble with that :wink:
Biggest fear? Can't imagine sth. right now, that might change after the first two weeks in halls :unsure:
I'm filling in the application, but I feel so weird filling in what qualities I'm looking for in flat mates.
Obviously I don't want to share with weirdos who'll steal my food and/or break my stuff..
This is really difficult.. What did you fill in?
Reply 87
Original post by KiaraMarissa
I'm filling in the application, but I feel so weird filling in what qualities I'm looking for in flat mates.
Obviously I don't want to share with weirdos who'll steal my food and/or break my stuff..
This is really difficult.. What did you fill in?

I put that I want to share my flat with people who share the same qualities I've put down, someone I could share some of my hobbies with. :smile: I also wrote that no slobs or cleaning freaks haha.

If I end up having an annoying flatmate, I won't keep it in me. I'm rather straightforward... We'll see if that's bad or not. :tongue:
I put that I want to share my flat with people who share the same qualities I've put down, someone I could share some of my hobbies with. :smile: I also wrote that no slobs or cleaning freaks haha.

If I end up having an annoying flatmate, I won't keep it in me. I'm rather straightforward... We'll see if that's bad or not. :tongue:

That's a good idea. I wrote that they shouldn't be too messy, but clean freaks may be even worse! I'm definitely stealing that from you.

Also, being straightforward is very good. I live in an area where most of the girls are always gossiping behind others back while being nice to your face. I feel that it would be much better to just tell people what irks you about them, so they could try and change or maybe explain why they did certain things.
Hopefully people at uni will be a little more mature?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 89
That's a good idea. I wrote that they shouldn't be too messy, but clean freaks may be even worse! I'm definitely stealing that from you.

Also, being straightforward is very good. I live in an area where most of the girls are always gossiping behind others back while being nice to your face. I feel that it would be much better to just tell people what irks you about them, so they could try and change or maybe explain why they did certain things.

Haha feel free to steal that idea, I think a lot of people agree with me. Extreme ends are never good. :biggrin:

Well, when you're doing your first year at uni, majority of the Scots will be 17 to 18 so I wouldn't count on that... Not saying everyone's a childish mess, but unfortunately so many are but it's not difficult to find like-minded mates to hang out with. :smile:
Reply 90
I heard that they like to put International students in a flat together, so it would't suprise me if we ended up alltogether :biggrin: They also have a look at one's age, so that might be another factor. I really hope that the people I will end up with will lots of fun but mature enough, if you know what I mean.
I really hope Strathclyde updates my offer soon, I wanna know where in halls I end up!!

A bit offtopic maybe, did you apply for SAAS yet?

On your first point: I wrote the same, basically, still ended up with four slobs :tongue:
I was the cleanest in the flat, which probably says a lot... :lol:

Secondly: That's a bit of a lottery, unfortunately. But the vast majority of people are straightforward and mature, especially some of the Scots (that can faze a few people, I remember speaking to a Canadian in a hostel in Edinburgh. He said that he couldn't get over how blunt some of us were with each other :tongue:). Living with other people means it's very easy to see the worst in people and it can be very easy to think you dislike your flatmates at times. It pays to remember that they're not all bad and you're not a saint also at times. Is it your first time away from home? Or am I preaching to the converted? :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by alaska.
I heard that they like to put International students in a flat together, so it would't suprise me if we ended up alltogether :biggrin: They also have a look at one's age, so that might be another factor. I really hope that the people I will end up with will lots of fun but mature enough, if you know what I mean.
I really hope Strathclyde updates my offer soon, I wanna know where in halls I end up!!

I applied to SAAS about three weeks ago and got the response last Friday. It's really easy to apply, Finland would've demanded me to send a big pile of paperwork and would've taken at least 2 months with the decision. Bureaucracy. :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong people, but I put on my halls application that I would like to share my flat with locals just with the pure thought of integration. But, all the things we've put on the applications are just requests, I know a guy who applied to the same halls as I did a year ago and ended up in Birkbeck. :yes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by alaska.

I did make an account at the SAAS website, but haven't applied yet. I'm still trying to figure out if the students grants from the Netherlands will amount to more money than the tuition fee, because I'm not allowed to have students grants if SAAS pays for my tuition. Problem is, I can't find the costs of tuition anywhere. So, I'll probably apply for SAAS.

On your first point: I wrote the same, basically, still ended up with four slobs :tongue:
I was the cleanest in the flat, which probably says a lot... :lol:

Secondly: That's a bit of a lottery, unfortunately. But the vast majority of people are straightforward and mature, especially some of the Scots (that can faze a few people, I remember speaking to a Canadian in a hostel in Edinburgh. He said that he couldn't get over how blunt some of us were with each other :tongue:). Living with other people means it's very easy to see the worst in people and it can be very easy to think you dislike your flatmates at times. It pays to remember that they're not all bad and you're not a saint also at times. Is it your first time away from home? Or am I preaching to the converted? :smile:

It makes sense that it is possible to end up with slobs. If I were messy I'd probably lie and say I was clean, just to be put in a flat with clean people.
And I love blunt people! At least you know where you stand with them and what they think about you. So it's nice to know that Scots are like that!
It will be my first time living away from home. I'll be 18, so I haven't had time to move out yet.
That was some pretty good advice and I'll try to be accepting of my flat mates annoying features, I don't like confrontation anyway so will probably just ignore the little things.

Did you like living in halls? Would you say the people are bearable? :wink: What halls are you even in?
Reply 94
I applied to SAAS about three weeks ago and got the response last Friday. It's really easy to apply, Finland would've demanded me to send a big pile of paperwork and would've taken at least 2 months with the decision. Bureaucracy. :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong people, but I put on my halls application that I would like to share my flat with locals just with the pure thought of integration. But, all the things we've put on the applications are just requests, I know a guy who applied to the same halls as I did a year ago and ended up in Birkbeck. :yes:

Oh, maybe I should have done that too... No, I understand that, makes it easier to bond with Scottish folk. It will probably be difficult if you stay with people who are only exchange students. Oh, Birkbeck, I hope I won't end up there :biggrin:

really? My boyfriend was saying it would be so much work :redface:I guess I will apply next weekend then, should probably get it over and done with.
Reply 95
Original post by alaska.
Oh, maybe I should have done that too... No, I understand that, makes it easier to bond with Scottish folk. It will probably be difficult if you stay with people who are only exchange students. Oh, Birkbeck, I hope I won't end up there :biggrin:

really? My boyfriend was saying it would be so much work :redface:I guess I will apply next weekend then, should probably get it over and done with.

Haha well I just stated the uni & course I'll be doing, when I'll be studying etc etc... Honestly I don't remember much anymore. :tongue: Just start doing it, I got it done in 15 minutes or less. :smile:

Yeah, I don't mind getting to know for example exchange students and other internationals, but I just find it a lot easier for my sanity if there's only my culture and one other culture clashing. :biggrin:
I did make an account at the SAAS website, but haven't applied yet. I'm still trying to figure out if the students grants from the Netherlands will amount to more money than the tuition fee, because I'm not allowed to have students grants if SAAS pays for my tuition. Problem is, I can't find the costs of tuition anywhere. So, I'll probably apply for SAAS.

It makes sense that it is possible to end up with slobs. If I were messy I'd probably lie and say I was clean, just to be put in a flat with clean people.
And I love blunt people! At least you know where you stand with them and what they think about you. So it's nice to know that Scots are like that!
It will be my first time living away from home. I'll be 18, so I haven't had time to move out yet.
That was some pretty good advice and I'll try to be accepting of my flat mates annoying features, I don't like confrontation anyway so will probably just ignore the little things.

Did you like living in halls? Would you say the people are bearable? :wink: What halls are you even in?

Be warned there are only two things more useless than SAAS: the chocolate teapot and non-stick cellotape :tongue: Seriously though, apply early as possible as there are often loooooong delays that stretch into the first semester where you still don't have your loan...

I was in Chancellors last year, I'm now in a private flat as I'm in 2nd year (so I survived halls anyway :wink: )

I liked living in halls. Loved it even. My flatmates and I got along really well but we didn't hang about much outside halls. Like we all had our own friends and night outs mainly. However, they were all great fun to live with. If REALLY messy during the first semester (not as bad as one Birkbeck flat though...a friend was actually contemplating washing all the dishes in the shower... ingenious if strange...). But during the second semester we were all a lot tidier as we had more of a system and didn't want it to be manky. Bare in mind it was 5 guys :tongue: You'll find as a collective you'll have all these rituals that you'll grow to love too. Definitely bonds you all, living together does.

And Birkbeck isn't quite as bad as we all make out either, but it does deserve its reputation

If you have any more specific or general questions, then feel free to ask. I remember how exciting/terrifying it all is! At least you'll get your own room, I'll have to share in Singapore from someone who could be from anywhere in the world.

What excites you about moving out? :smile:
Original post by alaska.
Baden-WΓΌrttemberg is supposed to be very very nice though :wink: NRW only got loads of cities to offer, not so much of beautiful landscapes. Yeah, if you need any suggestions where to go, incase you come to NRW let me know :smile:
Ahh, she isn't your girlfriend :K: oops. I misunderstood that :h: Ehm, to be honest there is not much of a difference. I guess I would refer to my boyfriend as "Mein Freund" and to friend who is a boy as "Ein Freund". That is how many people avoid those mistakes, however it still happens. Even when we use it :giggle:
Rustic, interesting :biggrin: I guess quite a lot of German cities are rustic then.

If I am lucky I can transfer my course to IMBL (International Business with Modern Languages). I originally applied for Business Enterprise but IMBL sounds a lot more interesting, especially because I love languages :love:

Thanking you, will definitely harass you for places to visit at some point :wink:
And cheers for the wee language tip. (My friend in Germany said she misses the word "wee" :tongue:)

Sounds good though, Strathy's business department seems to be quite well known anyway. What languages can you speak then? :smile:
Be warned there are only two things more useless than SAAS: the chocolate teapot and non-stick cellotape :tongue: Seriously though, apply early as possible as there are often loooooong delays that stretch into the first semester where you still don't have your loan...

I was in Chancellors last year, I'm now in a private flat as I'm in 2nd year (so I survived halls anyway :wink: )

I liked living in halls. Loved it even. My flatmates and I got along really well but we didn't hang about much outside halls. Like we all had our own friends and night outs mainly. However, they were all great fun to live with. If REALLY messy during the first semester (not as bad as one Birkbeck flat though...a friend was actually contemplating washing all the dishes in the shower... ingenious if strange...). But during the second semester we were all a lot tidier as we had more of a system and didn't want it to be manky. Bare in mind it was 5 guys :tongue: You'll find as a collective you'll have all these rituals that you'll grow to love too. Definitely bonds you all, living together does.

And Birkbeck isn't quite as bad as we all make out either, but it does deserve its reputation

If you have any more specific or general questions, then feel free to ask. I remember how exciting/terrifying it all is! At least you'll get your own room, I'll have to share in Singapore from someone who could be from anywhere in the world.

What excites you about moving out? :smile:

I wouldn't call SAAS useless if I were you, they do pay for your tuition which is quite nice of them. I know it's tax money.. but still!

I can imagine that 5 guys would make a mess of their appartment. You must've been happy you had your own bathroom! Girls should be much better at keeping the place clean. It's just that I've been reading horror stories about flat mates on here. Truly freaks me out.

Are you going to Singapore for your industrial placement? Or don't you have that with your course? I've only heard great things about Singapore though, it's supposedly very modern and awesome :wink: Sharing a room with someone does seem a bit scary tbh.. but I'm sure you'll get along.

I'm most excited for being away from my parents. It's not that I don't love them ,they're great, but I think I'd love them even more if I didn't live with them :wink: I also love that I will be meeting all new people. I've never stepped out of my comfort zone and aways hung out with the same group of people, so I think it is great that I will be forced to really make an effort and meet new people. If that makes sense?

If I have any more question I'll definitely ask! Thanks :smile:
Reply 99
Thanking you, will definitely harass you for places to visit at some point :wink:
And cheers for the wee language tip. (My friend in Germany said she misses the word "wee" :tongue:)

Sounds good though, Strathy's business department seems to be quite well known anyway. What languages can you speak then? :smile:

Haha, you can :smile: I love the word "wee" as well. It is such a great word, similar to wonky :biggrin: haha, also great word.

Yeah, it does, I hope the whole changing-subject thing will work. I can speak English fluently and French well. I also learnt Latin at school for 5 years but that was not of much use, understandably. Might try to learn Italian or Spanish at Strathclyde :h:

Quick Reply

Latest