The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Accommodation at Strathclyde University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Catta
Fair enough then :smile:

Haha, there's not many things that you should take to uni. You can just buy things here if you need them :smile:

Well, I'll be travelling to Scotland with two suitcases plus my hand luggage. :tongue: I'm just going to take the stuff that'll save me money by bringing them from home (which isn't much as I live in one of the most expensive countries in Europe...). Not going to do the same mistake as my friend did last year when she moved to England for uni - she took everything she had in her wardrobe with her... And has ended up using almost nothing she took haha.

Bah, it'd be nice if I got the letter next week as I won't be home much in July, but I doubt it. :|
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 141
Two suitcases is a lot for me :biggrin: Haha, if I were you, I would take only those clothes that are too expensive to give away and are very high quality. Because clothes and shoes in Britain are cheap (at least compared to my country :biggrin: ).

I would definitely take some books written in my native language, just for those moments when I want to relax.

I had one suitcase and hand luggage :smile: That was enough. If you use vacuum bags for clothes, that's definitely enough :biggrin:
Reply 142
Original post by alaska.
Oh wow, I am more worried about SAAS .... Luckily, I phoned them up. After 45 min in the waiting line i was told that they have sent me two documents already, first deciding that I get my tuiton fees covered, but then they told me that they can only finance my last year.... :s-smilie: ? I was absolutely angry and confused because the reason was that I got "public funding". However I didn't receive any public funding, and neither did I gain any qualifications .... After another 36 min in the waiting line I could talk to another person from SAAS who seemed to understand me, but they have to review my case again.... AAAAHHH! Why can't it be all easy? :frown:

Aw, I'm sure it'll be alright in the end though. Kind of the same happened to me! My first award letter stated that they'd only fund my honour years and I just sent a formal appeal and I finally got my second award letter today stating that they'd cover my tuition fees. In my experience contacting them via snail mail is actually quicker. (Although their award letters take AGES to arrive)
Reply 143
Original post by perlsh
Aw, I'm sure it'll be alright in the end though. Kind of the same happened to me! My first award letter stated that they'd only fund my honour years and I just sent a formal appeal and I finally got my second award letter today stating that they'd cover my tuition fees. In my experience contacting them via snail mail is actually quicker. (Although their award letters take AGES to arrive)

Did you also start studying in Vienna?! I started studying in Münster but hardly really studied. I only have like 14 ECTS out of this 2 semesters.... and only 2 of them are part of my degree.... they have to understand :biggrin: :biggrin: I just have to find a way to get hold of a note saying I got 2 ECTS. :biggrin:
Yeah, they have sent me two awards letters already but neither of them arrived yet :biggrin:

What exactly did you tell them? They want me to give them some evidence of how many points I got, so I have to get my current university to print sth. or so :/

offtopic: do you still see my flag as being the german one? I see something else there (if it is even a normal flag) and I am a bit worried because some people managed to hack into TSR :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by alaska.
Did you also start studying in Vienna?! I started studying in Münster but hardly really studied. I only have like 14 ECTS out of this 2 semesters.... and only 2 of them are part of my degree.... they have to understand :biggrin: :biggrin: I just have to find a way to get hold of a note saying I got 2 ECTS. :biggrin:
Yeah, they have sent me two awards letters already but neither of them arrived yet :biggrin:

What exactly did you tell them? They want me to give them some evidence of how many points I got, so I have to get my current university to print sth. or so :/

offtopic: do you still see my flag as being the german one? I see something else there (if it is even a normal flag) and I am a bit worried because some people managed to hack into TSR :/

Yep, I started in Vienna. And I hardly did anything in second semester either :P I've got like 15 ECTS points I think.
Well, I got the first letter saying that I got public funding/a qualification. And then I sent of a formal appeal stating that I did not get public funding nor a qualification and that I have stated that in my application and asked them to reassess my case. Apparently they did fairly quick and sent off the second award letter on June, 1st - I didn't receive it until yesterday though.
Don't you have a "Sammelzeugnis"? Here in Vienna we can even print that out ourselves with our account.

And yep, I see a german flag.
Reply 145
Original post by perlsh
Yep, I started in Vienna. And I hardly did anything in second semester either :P I've got like 15 ECTS points I think.
Well, I got the first letter saying that I got public funding/a qualification. And then I sent of a formal appeal stating that I did not get public funding nor a qualification and that I have stated that in my application and asked them to reassess my case. Apparently they did fairly quick and sent off the second award letter on June, 1st - I didn't receive it until yesterday though.
Don't you have a "Sammelzeugnis"? Here in Vienna we can even print that out ourselves with our account.

And yep, I see a german flag.

Wow, you don't know how helpful you've been. I could generate something like that as well, I just didn't know it existed. But yeah, I only got 2 ECTS for one exam, the other stuff is language courses :biggrin: so I guess things are looking up for me! :smile: Thanks again for the hint! :biggrin: That saves me a lot of hassle :P

I should send it to them via email, because both of the old award letters have been sent off already and none got here :/ So SAAS said they contact me via email :smile:
Reply 146
Original post by alaska.
Wow, you don't know how helpful you've been. I could generate something like that as well, I just didn't know it existed. But yeah, I only got 2 ECTS for one exam, the other stuff is language courses :biggrin: so I guess things are looking up for me! :smile: Thanks again for the hint! :biggrin: That saves me a lot of hassle :P

I should send it to them via email, because both of the old award letters have been sent off already and none got here :/ So SAAS said they contact me via email :smile:

Glad I could help :smile:

What are you going to study at strathclyde? And what did you study in Münster if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 147
Original post by perlsh
Glad I could help :smile:

What are you going to study at strathclyde? And what did you study in Münster if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Same thing basically. In Münster I studied "Business Administration" .... I didn't like it too much. Far too mathmatical and languages weren't involved at all. They also had quite an elitist attitude :s-smilie: Also you can't pick your modules as freely as in Strathclyde. In Strathclyde I am going to study either a regular Business BA Honours degree or International Business with Modern Languages still - still not entirely sure :biggrin:. I applied for a normal BA (Business Enterprise). But they let you change quite easily. :smile: I see you are transferring to St. Andrews? What made you decide to transfer?
Reply 148
Original post by alaska.
Same thing basically. In Münster I studied "Business Administration" .... I didn't like it too much. Far too mathmatical and languages weren't involved at all. They also had quite an elitist attitude :s-smilie: Also you can't pick your modules as freely as in Strathclyde. In Strathclyde I am going to study either a regular Business BA Honours degree or International Business with Modern Languages still - still not entirely sure :biggrin:. I applied for a normal BA (Business Enterprise). But they let you change quite easily. :smile: I see you are transferring to St. Andrews? What made you decide to transfer?

Hm. Is Münster the "prestigious Wirtschaftsuni"? Or is that München? The courses sound great though! Especially the IB with modern languages :smile:

I always wanted to study International Relations, but it's just not so common in the german speaking area. I tried at St. Gallen and didn't get in - which in hindsight I'm really glad about :smile: So yeah, I started Politikwissenschaften in Vienna and just tried it in the UK :smile:
I won't be in student accommodation in Strath, I'll be sharing a flat with my mate.
Kinda wish I could go in the halls though :frown:
Reply 150
Hey, does anyone know any good websites for cheap flights to/from Glasgow? ^^
Reply 151
Original post by Lotfil

I see you are from Bulgaria (so am I :biggrin: ) so maybe you should check Thomas Cook, they offer direct flights from Bourgas to Glasgow :biggrin: though they can't be described as cheap :s-smilie:
Original post by Lotfil

I don't know if they fly to Bulgaria, but EasyJet is pretty affordable. They fly from Glasgow to the Netherlands twice a day, might be the same for Bulgaria.
Reply 153
Original post by Lotfil

Try airlines like Flybe, EasyJet, Wizzair, Ryanair :smile:
Reply 154
have a quick question. I have a laptop but none of its documents has my name on it. Do I have to declare it while travelling through the EU (my country - Bulgaria is a part of the EU) I've heard that personal items such as laptops,mp3 players,etc. do need to be declared in order to bring them back home without any problems. I know the "money rule" but what else is to be declared when leaving/coming back?
Original post by Lotfil
have a quick question. I have a laptop but none of its documents has my name on it. Do I have to declare it while travelling through the EU (my country - Bulgaria is a part of the EU) I've heard that personal items such as laptops,mp3 players,etc. do need to be declared in order to bring them back home without any problems. I know the "money rule" but what else is to be declared when leaving/coming back?

Eh, imho I think that's false information but what do I know. :dontknow: I've never declared anything while travelling inside or outside EU and could never think of declaring my laptop. What documents does a laptop even have? Mine was bought by my father so I think my dad's name is all over it in a sense. I think you should ask this somewhere else in the forum and make a completely new thread about it.
Reply 156
Original post by Popppppy
Blackfriars is quite popular. I would avoid that new one (fresh student living or something like that). They have 600 bedrooms and only 4 tv rooms and 1 laundry room!

Thanks just saw your comment... I managed to get a place in private acommodation... hahaha

Cheers
has anyone heard back about their accommodation yet? I thought we were meant to here back mid/end of june if you had an unconditional and sent away the application early enough? :smile:)
Original post by imonlylittle
has anyone heard back about their accommodation yet? I thought we were meant to here back mid/end of june if you had an unconditional and sent away the application early enough? :smile:)

I phoned the accommodation office this morning and the lady said they have sent out everything last Friday and today. :smile: So I guess this week we'll get the info!
Original post by FinnLassie
I phoned the accommodation office this morning and the lady said they have sent out everything last Friday and today. :smile: So I guess this week we'll get the info!

well i just emailed them and they sent a reply with my offer of accommodation attached to it! YAY!
got my first choice - just so you know it all needs to be done by the 9th of July according to the letter, paid and acceptance sent away - prior notice so you can organise it xD

maybe if you email them they'll send it to you too! :smile:

Quick Reply