The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Accommodation at Strathclyde University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imonlylittle
well i just emailed them and they sent a reply with my offer of accommodation attached to it! YAY!
got my first choice - just so you know it all needs to be done by the 9th of July according to the letter, paid and acceptance sent away - prior notice so you can organise it xD

maybe if you email them they'll send it to you too! :smile:

I guess I have a tad more time for the payment and such as I live abroad... Ah well I'll e-mail them tomorrow about it. Royal Mail hasn't really earned much trust with me. :tongue:
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by FinnLassie
I guess I have a tad more time for the payment and such as I live abroad... Ah well I'll e-mail them tomorrow about it. Royal Mail hasn't really earned much trust with me. :tongue:

yeah probably, would be a bit much asking you to do it that quickly haha!
lol royal mail hasnt really earned much trust with many people xD
I ALWAYS do first class and or registered delivery as proof of delivery, just in case!

I got James Goold as my first choice - out of interest what were your preferences? :smile:
yeah probably, would be a bit much asking you to do it that quickly haha!
lol royal mail hasnt really earned much trust with many people xD
I ALWAYS do first class and or registered delivery as proof of delivery, just in case!

I got James Goold as my first choice - out of interest what were your preferences? :smile:

Haha I had to dig up my early posts from this thread because I had no memory of the places I applied to... :tongue: I applied to James Blyth, Thomas Campbell and Garnett halls. Goold would've been waaaay too expensive for me. :biggrin:
Reply 163
Don't know how many answers this conversation has already gotten and if everyone has already booked and received a specified accommodation, but aanyways I stayed in Thomas Campbell last year with seven roommates - 7 GIRLS and it was definitely not my thing :biggrin: most of them were Scottish, and younger, so I didn't get along with them so well. But the flats are pretty much the same; james blyth is mostly people from China, Korea, Japan, Malaysia and so on, Murray Hall is pretty great if you're social and want to meet a lot of people since they have long corridors with plenty of people!

Personally I would not have paid the extra pounds for the en-suite bathroom; especially if you're lucky and end up living with only 3 more people instead of 7 :biggrin:

Birkbeck is the "party hall" and it definitely looks like it too - all the other halls are in a bit better condition :smile:

Goood luck and hopefully you'll get nice roommates! :smile:
Reply 164
Ja finnlassie - mitä meet/tuut opiskelee Strathiin? suomalaisia siellä ei paljoo ookaaa jote tervetuloo! :biggrin:
Original post by kkaattaam
Ja finnlassie - mitä meet/tuut opiskelee Strathiin? suomalaisia siellä ei paljoo ookaaa jote tervetuloo! :biggrin:

Remember to add translations if you say something not in English :smile:
(She's asking me what I'm going to study, there's not many Finns in Strath)

I'm going to the Primary Ed course.

Using the same nickname on the ISO ry forums, you there too?
Reply 166
I sent all my exam results and IELTS to them bout a week ago but they still haven't changed the UCAS thing to unconditional : P I'm a bit worried, any ideas?
Reply 167
Oh, so actually send stuff out already?
Great to know, I hope the translator gets a move on then. Strathclyde requested that I send in my Abitur translated once again .... I wasn't allowed to do it myself or ask my school to do it. So I had to ask a sworn translator :s-smilie: Hopefully they change it afterwards then, so that I get my place in accomodation secured as travelling is surely not an option. Do you know if they update your status to unconditional now? Or do they wait till people geet their A-level and Highers results in August?
Haha I had to dig up my early posts from this thread because I had no memory of the places I applied to... :tongue: I applied to James Blyth, Thomas Campbell and Garnett halls. Goold would've been waaaay too expensive for me. :biggrin:

yeah the en-suite ones are expensive! but i'm lucky cause i'm getting the maximum loan amount and bursary (low household income), so end up being able to afford it (although have more to pay back due to the additional loan xD)
but yeah, being an international student you dont get any help from the likes of SAAS for costs of living do you? If I didnt get that support I wouldnt be going to university, so i'm lucky really :smile:

Hopefully you'll get your first choice :smile:)
yeah the en-suite ones are expensive! but i'm lucky cause i'm getting the maximum loan amount and bursary (low household income), so end up being able to afford it (although have more to pay back due to the additional loan xD)
but yeah, being an international student you dont get any help from the likes of SAAS for costs of living do you? If I didnt get that support I wouldnt be going to university, so i'm lucky really :smile:

Hopefully you'll get your first choice :smile:)

I'm going to get something like 520€ per month from Finland as student benefits that I don't have to pay back - but that's only going to cover my rent and food per month, so I also have to take a wee loan to cover all the other costs...

I'm really hoping that too! I sent an e-mail to the office yesterday and asked for the documents... If I don't get the letter this week I'm going to have a bit of a panic as I won't be home at all from that day onwards. :s-smilie:
I'm going to get something like 520€ per month from Finland as student benefits that I don't have to pay back - but that's only going to cover my rent and food per month, so I also have to take a wee loan to cover all the other costs...

I'm really hoping that too! I sent an e-mail to the office yesterday and asked for the documents... If I don't get the letter this week I'm going to have a bit of a panic as I won't be home at all from that day onwards. :s-smilie:

i'm guessing a lot of international students will be in the same situation I guess, its a shame you cant get as much help towards the cost of living as home students really...

have they not emailed you back already? they were really quick at getting in contact with me, if I emailed within office hours I got a reply within like 30 mins... she just emailed me an attachment with the occupancy agreement, I haven't had a letter through, so you might be quicker to print it off yourself and send it away when they email you back... I hope you get it on time!

would be a shame if you never, but I guess if you called and explained they'll give you extra time of course :smile:
i'm guessing a lot of international students will be in the same situation I guess, its a shame you cant get as much help towards the cost of living as home students really...

have they not emailed you back already? they were really quick at getting in contact with me, if I emailed within office hours I got a reply within like 30 mins... she just emailed me an attachment with the occupancy agreement, I haven't had a letter through, so you might be quicker to print it off yourself and send it away when they email you back... I hope you get it on time!

would be a shame if you never, but I guess if you called and explained they'll give you extra time of course :smile:

What I've understood is that I'm actually getting a lot more than most of the Scots get, especially because the loan isn't really a necessity for me - I just want to maintain my current lifestyle to some extent as a student, don't want to get on the noodle diet. :s-smilie:

I e-mailed within office hours but have heard nothing from the office yet! I've also checked spam box just in case but well, it only has spam there. :biggrin:
What I've understood is that I'm actually getting a lot more than most of the Scots get, especially because the loan isn't really a necessity for me - I just want to maintain my current lifestyle to some extent as a student, don't want to get on the noodle diet. :s-smilie:

I e-mailed within office hours but have heard nothing from the office yet! I've also checked spam box just in case but well, it only has spam there. :biggrin:

yeah thats cause it depends on parents income, parents with high income are expected to make a large contribution, never thought having low income parent would be an advantage, but it is for me in terms of loans and bursary amounts! :smile:

haha I think many students are going to scrimp on food for a noodle diet so they have more money to spend on alcohol, but theres going to be a minimum alcohol pricing put in place at some point, so there goes a chunk of many students incomes xD

Well all you can do is hope for the best... are you looking forward to coming to Scotland? :biggrin: have you visited before?
yeah thats cause it depends on parents income, parents with high income are expected to make a large contribution, never thought having low income parent would be an advantage, but it is for me in terms of loans and bursary amounts! :smile:

haha I think many students are going to scrimp on food for a noodle diet so they have more money to spend on alcohol, but theres going to be a minimum alcohol pricing put in place at some point, so there goes a chunk of many students incomes xD

Well all you can do is hope for the best... are you looking forward to coming to Scotland? :biggrin: have you visited before?

Yeah, when I was in upper secondary I got raised student benefits due to my mum's income. But, now that I'll go to university and will be over 20, my parents' income will not be affecting the sum and I'll get the full amount because I'm going to study abroad. Funny though, that the ones who go abroad get more money... Doesn't make sense in a way. :dontknow:

Haha alcohol in Scotland will still be butt cheap compared to Finland (a pint at a bar is approx 6,5€ and up). It's been funny following the news concerning that. I won't be having problems with the alcohol though because I'm really not into drinking... Maybe I'll grab a pint per week if even that. :tongue:

Yeah I'm really looking forward for the uni years to come... I've been to Scotland quite a lot.
Yeah, when I was in upper secondary I got raised student benefits due to my mum's income. But, now that I'll go to university and will be over 20, my parents' income will not be affecting the sum and I'll get the full amount because I'm going to study abroad. Funny though, that the ones who go abroad get more money... Doesn't make sense in a way. :dontknow:

Haha alcohol in Scotland will still be butt cheap compared to Finland (a pint at a bar is approx 6,5€ and up). It's been funny following the news concerning that. I won't be having problems with the alcohol though because I'm really not into drinking... Maybe I'll grab a pint per week if even that. :tongue:

Yeah I'm really looking forward for the uni years to come... I've been to Scotland quite a lot.

oh wow, well here it really depends where you go but its a lot cheaper than that haha, like you can get a half bottle of vodka for £5 from a supermarket... guess thats why scotland has such a high rate for under age drinking :redface:
well I wont be 18 by september, i'll be 18 in december so I dont think i'll be able to do a lot of drinking until I am 18! I'm more of a at a party have a few drinks, get a little drunk and then stop and be the one that looks after the wrecks and ends up the only sober one :colondollar:

oh so it wont be completely new to you :P
do you know anyone thats going to any other uni's in Scotland? :smile:
Reply 175
hey! finally got an unconditional offer, UCAS sent me THE email yesterday ^^^ however, I still haven't received ANYTHING from Strathclyde..
Reply 176
Original post by Lotfil
hey! finally got an unconditional offer, UCAS sent me THE email yesterday ^^^ however, I still haven't received ANYTHING from Strathclyde..

I guess it is going to change soon then, because Strathclyde has to forward the information to UCAS. So they probably send off the stuff to you soon. I hope I get my Unconditional soon aswell :frown:
Reply 177
I just received a letter from strathclyde and it looks like I'm going to forbes hall :biggrin:
Reply 178
I just booked my flight over for September. Even if they didn't change it to Unconditional yet or if I do not have any Accomodation Notice, it is still good to have that flight sorted :smile:

Flight was incredibly cheap :h:. When do you guys fly over? (if not Scottish :biggrin:)
Original post by alaska.
I just booked my flight over for September. Even if they didn't change it to Unconditional yet or if I do not have any Accomodation Notice, it is still good to have that flight sorted :smile:

Flight was incredibly cheap :h:. When do you guys fly over? (if not Scottish :biggrin:)

Ohhh exciting. I've yet to book my flight. I got my IB mark today which was a point higher than I needed! So yay. All I need now is to pass my physics which shouldn't be too difficult. But I just don't want to jinx it by buying a ticket. I might still miss my requirements.

Flights truly are a steal. If I book today it will cost me €50,- with EasyJet for a one way ticket. Did you buy a return ticket?
I will probably fly over on September 17th, but my parents want to go a couple days earlier so we can set up a Scottish bank account and phone plan and stuff like that. What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest