The Student Room Group

Leeds Met will not charge £9000, but £8,500 fees

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by wdywuk
Remember though, if you charge £9k you only need to "give away" fee waivers of 10% of the difference between £9k and £6k ...ie £300 quid. So if you charge £9k you end up getting £8.7k net

I'm uncertain what you mean. Oxford published its exact plan a few weeks ago viewable here. Fees go as low as £3500 and the minimum 'waiver' is £1000.
Reply 41
Original post by Bektas
Doesn't anyone get it? It's psychological pricing.

It might not be, if you'll read my conversation with wdywuk (not the one immediately above).
Reply 42
Original post by Bektas
Doesn't anyone get it? It's psychological pricing.

How can you be so sure? They do have to cover their costs in some way. What is the actual cost (teaching and overheads) of a university degree? Do you know? (I don't.)
Reply 43
Original post by llys
That is indeed interesting... maybe they are planning to let in some students without paying fees to meet potential "access agreements" ? They already seem to be doing something similar to this if their average tuition income per student currently is that low. If so, based on these numbers, the projected number of "free" students would have to pretty high though.

Well like i said they get about £50 million from 31,000 students - that works out as a maximum of £1650 per student.
Reply 44
Original post by nexttime
To clarify (as you seem to be in a position to know) - you genuinely believe this is a measure for financial security and no consideration of image went into these figures?

Do you think there is any chance this fee charge will be blocked?

I've got no ties whatsoever with Leeds Met, but their figures will mean they will have a higher income than they currently do (assuming all other factors remain the same - which is quite unlikely!)

THe governemt has various things it can do if the average fee goes over £7.5k. I would not like to guess which route they will then go down.

Before I forget, the figures that people have put up, do they include overseas students (5-10%) or not ? (If they do then factor the government grant per student upwards, and the fee paid per EU/home student down)
Reply 45
£8.5k makes very little difference to £9k, is it supposed to be a bargain ?
Original post by ZizziHikaru
What a shame since it was one of the cheaper ones before.

At this rate its still going to be....by £500.
Reply 47
This reminds me of shops charging 99p to make it seem cheaper than £1, they may as well be charging the full 9k if they are going that far with it.
Reply 48
Original post by nexttime
I'm uncertain what you mean. Oxford published its exact plan a few weeks ago viewable here. Fees go as low as £3500 and the minimum 'waiver' is £1000.

Imagine you get 93 students and your fee is set at £9k. You need to give out bursaries (or fee waivers) of 10% of all income between £6k and £9k. So at one extreme you could get 97 students paying £9k each and approx 3 students paying no fees at all (effectively £300 from each of the paying students goes towards the fee waivers of 3 students). Of course there are all sorts of fees/bursary structures you can come up with, but does the above make it a bit clearer?
Original post by inksplodge
a lot of people i know are at leeds met, it doesn't sound like they get a lot of contact time, they spend most of their time partying.
£8.5k a year to party? I'd rather go on a round-the-world trip or something with the debt I'd get...

Isn't that the same with every uni though? :dontknow:
Doesn't surprise me to be honest. Didn't the fees get raised to 3000 grand odd first for Oxbridge and then the rest followed? I give it a couple of years and the rest of the unis will be charging full price.
Reply 51
This is pretty stupid, a uni where you probably get very little contact time, charging nearly £9000 a year. On an article I read, it says it still has to be approved by OFFA, is there any chance it will get rejected?
"oh dw, you won't pay it back till you earn over 21k"

What graduate goes to university planning to earn less?
Reply 53
Original post by f00ddude
leeds met at 8.5k? no chance
i swear they were doing 2k fees last year?

Spot on. I'm paying £2500 less for THREE years than some will be for ONE.

Also I feel ripped off with that, so what's the point of anyone going to Leeds Met?
Reply 54
Original post by llys
How can you be so sure? They do have to cover their costs in some way. What is the actual cost (teaching and overheads) of a university degree? Do you know? (I don't.)

I don't know about other degrees or other universities but I've been told that my degree (Biochemistry at Surrey) costs £8000 per student per year. At the moment they get £3000 from the student and £5000 from HEFCE. They are planning on charging £9000 when the fees go up so I guess they will be getting extra funding then.
Reply 55
Original post by emi_sarb
I don't know about other degrees or other universities but I've been told that my degree (Biochemistry at Surrey) costs £8000 per student per year. At the moment they get £3000 from the student and £5000 from HEFCE. They are planning on charging £9000 when the fees go up so I guess they will be getting extra funding then.

nope, unis have to do this as they have to provide alternative finance for poorer students in the form of bigger grants and even part scholarships
this means everyone pays more to provide for poorer students fees

i really wish people would realise no matter how rich or poor you are, the fees don't have to be payed up front, and shouldn't be that big an issue when deciding if you want to go to uni... you only pay the new ones back after 25k which is more than reasonable
Reply 56
Given that funding for most courses has been entirely removed - this is no surprise. It is either this or bust.

Those in government knew full well this would happen.

Original post by L i b
An endowment in the billions is unusual - and is restricted to Oxford and Cambridge. I believe the third largest endowment of a university in the UK is Edinburgh with around £200 million.

I was under the impression that it was Imperial College, but Edinburgh would be plausable.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 57
I did my first degree at Leeds Met (hated it) and paid £2k a year - no way is my course worth £8.5k a year!! It was poor quality and the uni has a bad rep. Why not pay an extra £1500 and go to a university with better prospects and teaching? :confused:
Reply 58
Original post by TikiTiki
I did my first degree at Leeds Met (hated it) and paid £2k a year - no way is my course worth £8.5k a year!! It was poor quality and the uni has a bad rep. Why not pay an extra £1500 and go to a university with better prospects and teaching? :confused:

Because many students won't have this option, either because they have to go to a local university (for personal reasons), because their course is not offered elsewhere, or because they don't meet the entry requirements for a "better" university.

You say you did your "first degree" there. Are you now doing a second undergraduate degree elsewhere? How do the two universities compare in your experience? I.e. with respect to contact time, teaching, facilities, .. ? Do you think that at your new university you are really getting MUCH better value for money?
Original post by inksplodge
a lot of people i know are at leeds met, it doesn't sound like they get a lot of contact time, they spend most of their time partying.
£8.5k a year to party? I'd rather go on a round-the-world trip or something with the debt I'd get...

Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

I lol'ed when I saw this. And yeah, for £500 more you can get to Oxbridge?

I predict Leeds Met closing down soon. :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending