The Student Room Group
I'd take a guess at maybe English Language A-level, foreign languages surely, and perhaps a science, like Biology? Not sure. Something that shows you have good analytical skills? (Geography?) Maybe drama, for expression?

Actually, having said that, probably the best thing for you to do is just to do the A-levels you want and would enjoy and would get the best grades at. Only include a subject you wouldn't have chosen otherwise if it's one required or preferrable by Linguistics courses at the better universities.
Reply 2
How would you consider my subjects for Linguistics? :frown: I haven't got a science...
Ooh hehe, sorry, i didn't see your subjects there in the spoiler bit. Not sure I know enough about Sociology to say, Philosophy and Economics seem like good ones (and English, of course) - show you've got a brain for analysing and open-minded thought and all that. Hehe, I don't really know :biggrin: I'm probably talking rubbish. ^_^
Reply 4
Thanks for your advice anyway :smile: Would you say this is a popular course?
Linguistics? Well I don't know anyone applying for it, but I don't know many people full stop, so that doesn't really tell you much. But I'd say it's one of the less popular ones, yeah = good news for applicants like you, woo! Good luck! Where are you (thinking of) applying?
Reply 6
UCL or Kings for English language and communications if I can't get into Law lol!

But I do like Linguistics, it sounds really interesting! :smile:

I'm going to email the universities and ask about my subjects, wish me luck! :biggrin:
oooh ok, wish you all the best! :smile:
Reply 8
Reply 9
i don't know much, but i'd assume that those subjects are absolutely fine, if not great, for linguistics. as long as you back up your application with plenty of background, and even in depth, reading, you'll be on the right path.
I'd guess Philosophy would be useful as you might do some work on language there, but I'm not up on the syllabus. I don't think any A-levels cover logic, but you'll have to analyse sentences into predicate calculus at some point, so doing Philosophy or Maths might be useful. A foreign language and English Lang or Lang/Lit would complement this nicely.
Reply 11
What exactly is linguistics?
Reply 12
Study of Language
Reply 13
What careers could you get with a degree in it?
Reply 14
I've applied for linguistics. I do English Language, English Literature, Geography and French. Last year I did Spanish too. English Language is the subject which prompted me to apply for linguistics as I fell in love with the subject but didn't want to do Eng Lang at degree level. The uni's I've applied for aren't subject specific, although UCL and Manchester have specified a foreign language as desirable.

I've read loads of linguistic related books as wider reading for English Language and it has definatly convinced me I've applied for the right degree!

Which unis are you applying to if you do go for linguistics?

Kirstinx- its basically the science of language, like how language relates to everything in our lives. Which is really good for most jobs really as you learn to read in between the lines of everything (I do that all the time and my friends hate it) to work out exactly what is being meant, not what it being said. I'm hoping to work for a NGO abroad, using French/Spanish too.
Reply 15
I might apply to UCL but I'm having doubts and might apply to law instead because it's easier to write the PS for 1 subject... not sure though.
Reply 16
thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 17
UCL's course looks brilliant... and you get to do a year abroad!

Yeah, I bet law is easier to write a PS for! In mine I have talked about how "I find language facinating" .... which is true, but when its all written out I sound really enthusiastic and obsessed with language...

Have you looked around for at law places and linguistics places? Your subjects look fine btw, don't worry! And the GCSE Chinese will probably make you stand out. I did Spanish AS in a year (started with basic Spanish knowledge in September, did GCSE in november time and did the AS in June) so it gave me something to write about in my PS.
Reply 18
After GCSE Chinese you could always do AS Chinese:p:
Reply 19
:p: maybe... but I've heard how difficult it is :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending