The Student Room Group

Again, about job prospects

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by shiny
Spring Weeks is a series of pre-internship events held by the big banks to introduce new undergraduates to the investment banking business (it involves a week or two of work shadowing, case studies, networking, etc). Obviously at this stage it is not so much high level qualifications they are looking for (although you would be expected to have done very well in your A Levels or equivalents as well as attending a strong uni) but enthusiasm for the business. These are held in the "Spring" so to participate this year you would have needed to apply last Oct/Nov -- if you missed it then you've missed it. It is not essential for a career in investment banking but it is a relatively new device being used by some of the big banks to help with their recruitment.

Now I see!! Really, thank you! I didn't know that! :smile: I must keep this in mind, too, I cannot miss it... but about this, I have a main question: if after this "event" you have been accepted, will you be "forced" to start working soon or can you wait until you finish your studies and then get in, without being afraid of losing your place? Or does it depend on what single banks who hold these kind of event decide?
Reply 21
Original post by FFC94

Original post by FFC94
Now I see!! Really, thank you! I didn't know that! :smile: I must keep this in mind, too, I cannot miss it... but about this, I have a main question: if after this "event" you have been accepted, will you be "forced" to start working soon or can you wait until you finish your studies and then get in, without being afraid of losing your place? Or does it depend on what single banks who hold these kind of event decide?

I doubt anyone is going to give you a job offer 6 months into your first year.... They almost certainly won't want you to drop out of uni. If they're impressed by you, the most likely thing would be they offer you a summer internship position.
Reply 22
Original post by alibee
I doubt anyone is going to give you a job offer 6 months into your first year.... They almost certainly won't want you to drop out of uni. If they're impressed by you, the most likely thing would be they offer you a summer internship position.

I see!! Thank you!! :smile:

So, to sum up, a maths degree is no bad at all for having good job prospects! :biggrin:
Original post by alibee

Right that's the point. Of course also you might decide you don't want to work in in a bank so you have ruled that out, same with an internship. But if you do want an internship in a bank spring week is the place to start, and it will make it much easier to land a graduate job if you have an internship.
Reply 24
Original post by BillLionheart
Right that's the point. Of course also you might decide you don't want to work in in a bank so you have ruled that out, same with an internship. But if you do want an internship in a bank spring week is the place to start, and it will make it much easier to land a graduate job if you have an internship.

Thank you too, that's clear now!

Quick Reply

Latest