The Student Room Group

Design

I'm required to include the following in the design section:

1- The type of design you used (e.g. between, within, mixed or matched subjects)

2- The independent variable(s) including the conditions you selected to represent different levels of the IV

I understood the idea of point (1), but, what does point (2) mean?

Thanks.
You need to seperate your independent variable into levels. Eg a low stressful, medium stressful, high stressful and no stress conditions.
Reply 2
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
You need to seperate your independent variable into levels. Eg a low stressful, medium stressful, high stressful and no stress conditions.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

In my experiment I used one level, which you can say high stressful. Is that fine if I use one level?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SWEngineer
Thanks a lot for your reply.

In my experiment I used one leve, which you can say high stressful. Is that fine if I use one level?

Of course not. That's not an experiment.

What would you compare that result to in order to show that stress caused the headache? You need a control.
Reply 4
Of course not. That's not an experiment.

What would you compare that result to in order to show that stress caused the headache? You need a control.

I used somthing like a scale to rate the headache at the beginning of the task and at the end. Is that acceptable to be a control?

It is a 0 (no headache)-5 (severe headache) scale, should I change it to 0-4 scale?
Original post by SWEngineer
I used somthing like a scale to rate the headache at the beginning of the task and at the end. Is that acceptable to be a control?

It is a 0 (no headache)-5 (severe headache) scale, should I change it to 0-4 scale?

You still really should be using a control group that goes through time 1 and time 2 measurements. Give them a non stressful task to do.

Changing the arbitrary numbers of your scale makes no difference to the issue that I posted (either in this thread or one of your many others).
Reply 6
You still really should be using a control group that goes through time 1 and time 2 measurements. Give them a non stressful task to do.

Changing the arbitrary numbers of your scale makes no difference to the issue that I posted (either in this thread or one of your many others).

I now made two conditions, stress condition and a neutral condition, and headache sufferes were distributed among the two conditions, while the headache-free only to the stress condition.

What do you think of this?

What will be the levels of the independent variable (stress) here?

And, what do you mean when you say: You still really should be using a control group that goes through time 1 and time 2 measurements?

Thanks a lot.
Reply 7
Any ideas?
Reply 8
Read a textbook?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending