How to get 100 UMS in GCSE AQA Biology, Chemistry, Physics

hi,
I have got my results back and they are terrible:
Biology 1 - A
Biology 2 - A
Chemistry 3 - A
Physics 2 - A
Maths - A
I would like to be getting A*'s in my sciences, because i really want to get in to medicine. I would like tips from people who have got 100 UMS in GCSE modules. I would like to know the exact way they have revised.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Terrible? I don't see a single D! I was going to reply to this seriously but now I won't. Pfft.
hi,
i'm sorry but i would really like to get into medicine and my family have high expectations for me.
I don't know what sort of planet you live on where an 'A' is considered terrible.
HAHAH!
You failed your GCSEs, you'll never get into oxford now haha!
You'll never be a doctor, or a vet, or a lawyer or any other great job so haha!
GTFO TSR, we don't need people with grades like yours polluting our over-achieving atmosphere.
If you're really desperate for 100UMS, just learn the AQA textbook inside out. You don't need 100UMS though, an A is a perfectly good grade, definitely not 'terrible' as you described.
sorry again, today i got told that a minimum of 6A*'s at GCSE are required for medicine
Reply 7
Well here's my revision schedule in my study leave:

One and a half hours (4 - 5 blocks per day) for each GCSE subject then at the end, I would go over the notes that I have taken to commit to long-term memory. During each one and a half hour, I would go through whatever resources related to the subject, make notes, sometimes reading aloud. I give myself 10mins rest plus lunch between blocks and having a strict time routine helps you remember as you strive to do as much as possible before the block is up.

Basically, this is quite intensive relative to what some other people may do (draw diagrams, etc.) but I personally love to just read and write so either this works well for you or its useless, it depends on your character.

And btw, I got 100 UMS in every single GCSE science exam (a total of 8 I believe) since you asked (and my streak for physics is still on in sixth form =) ).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
I did A2 bio, chem and physics got an A on each one and resat the gcse double science exams at the same time.

Got 100 ums in each one it was like killing 2 birds with one stone, I had to revise for my A2 exams and covered all the content of the gcse's so I just had to turn up for the gcse exams.
Reply 9
got like 95 ums in maths (A Level) by doing every maths paper for the last 6 years or so

The question i got wrong was a stupid mistake aswell :frown:
I got 95 ums,A* overall. I did past papers and learnt the book word for word. I took the attitude that the school dont teach you anything so just learn it from page 1.
Reply 11
What a joke, stop looking for ATTENTION and re-assurance
I find that people make notes or charts or mindmaps or whatever just so that they can think that they are working hard but not actually taking any of it in. It just seems like a waste of time. What I do is lay on my bed and read through the textbook, making a conscious effort to know everything, it is mentally exhausting and you may find yourself getting distracted, but it works if you stay focussed.
Reply 13
I didn't get 100 UMS in all my sciences, but in the additional module I got 100 UMS in biology, 98 in Chemistry and 95 in Physics. I did all the past papers the week before my exam so they were fresh in my mind. For Biology it's just a case of learning all the key information-I just handwrote notes from Bitesize. For Physics I learnt the formulas and practiced equations. Make sure you read the questions thoroughly in the exam so you don't get caught out by unit changes. Honestly though you should be really proud of your A grades, it's a fantastic achievement, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
Past papers.
hey

dont listen to all the people who are saying that you arent for real for thinking an A is a bad mark. it just means you have high expectations of yourself! i myself would feel the same way and i know its crazy but its just the way some people are motivated. i have achieved 100UMS on my physics, chemistry and biolody and i find that exam practice is whats really needed. i dont do much revision but i practice lots of exams and every weekend just refresh my knowledge on the topics im not 100% confident on. you will know if you know everything for your exam because you will walk in not nervous at all knowing you are prepared. good luck :smile:

heather
I got 100 UMS in B2, 98 in B1(50 in B1a, 48 in B1b) and similar in my Physics and Chemistry.
I did very little revision at home (I am naturally good at science, so didn't want to spend too much time on it), however we did quite a few past papers in the run up to these exams in lessons at school, and I can definitely say that past papers are helpful, they give you an idea of what the examiner is looking for in certain questions. Without doing these past papers at school, I don't think I would've got such high scores.
Thought it said GCE AQA Biology, Chemistry and Physics :sad: (I do AS AQA Biology and Chemistry)

But anyway, I did AQA at GCSE for the sciences and it's all about the past papers - AQA tend to repeat a lot of their questions, stuff like antibiotic resistance.
Get a good revision guide and learn it off by heart. GCSE is all about getting the phrasing of your answer right, so you need to learn the style of answering a question more than the actual knowledge itself.

Getting A*A*A* at GCSE is pointless though if you can't live up to the same high standards at A-level. I got 100 UMS in GCSE Biology and Physics and about 95 in Chemistry. It was a doddle, but one look at an AS Chemistry paper and I know I could never have continued it to the Sixth Form.
Hey, I want to go into medicine and the science subjects are my best for exams. I'm not genius and the whole 6-8 A* thing freaks me out. Considering I'm crap at English literature and geography :s-smilie:

Anyway, UMS doesnt mean 100% which a lot of people get confused. Depending on the difficulty of the test, 100 UMS can be gained by getting as low as 36 but dint get complacent.

To get pretty much all the exam right, you firstly need to learn the syllabus. Use a revision guide or sneak a textbook out. This isn't the whole thing though, you also need to practise exam technique so do lots of past papers.

Good luck, but I think you'll be fine as long as you have determination. Also, make sure you read the question calmly and check how many marks you get for each answer so you know how many points you need to put. It's generally 1 mark per point. :wink: good luck, I'm in the same boat. I've done:

B1: 100
B2: 72 (I had a retard moment so I'm retaking :wink: )
B3: 87
C1: 85
C2: 100
P1: 100
P3: 95

I also got 39/40 for my biology and physics ISAs and 36/40 for my Chemistry ISA although Im not sire what the conversion to UMS is for these :wink:

I'm not inhuman, I make mistakes *cough*B2*cough* but as a general rule, GCSE science is input in = grade out. I got cocky with B2 because I thought I knew the aft and didn't revise. The truth is, I did know the stuff and I actually knew enough before I started the lessons. I just couldn't apply it to the questions they asked. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending