The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Needing help re: Leeds accommodation.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by dmz
this is why i've ruled it out :tongue: can afford it for a year or two but not rich

Haha :tongue: I'm trying to convince myself that all of the rahs will be in Dev anyway - mostly so I can just get this application over and done with! I've changed my mind too many times now.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
Original post by rachl
I'm sure it will be fine :smile: ... I'm not rich or snobby and I want to be in Charles Morris (although I'd prefer one of the cheaper rooms tbh) I guess it's just luck who you end up with and which ever halls you pick you could end up with people you dont get along with so I think it's best to just pick one you like. Plus CM has quite a lot of people in 1 flat block thing so I'm sure it will be sociable and people will want to be friendly so they has people to go for dinner with :biggrin: haha

this is very well put :smile: it will definitely be the people who you're with that will have the most impact (anywhere).

to be honest i hadn't even thought about the snobby arrogant thing :colondollar: , i was literally going on what i liked most and how it would be best for me.
i just imagined everyone would be friendly and go for their meals together :h: .
Reply 22
Original post by HappyMeal
i know what you mean, that won't be fun.

just so you know at least one person won't be like that there, i'm not snobby or private schooled.
because i'll be living quite far from home my parents prefer me to be on campus as i'm unfamiliar with the city too. s.j also has the bonus of being right next to the buildings i'll be needing, so it just seems ideal in more than one way.

yeeeey!!! Thanks makes me feel alot better about it XD
If i end up in s'j ill probs be seeing you there then =) Yeah, being on campus is very useful. Id wanna be on campus so i could roll out of bed last min to go to my lectures XD you looking forward to finding out what the nightlifes like and stuff? since youre from far away and im guessing havent been up leeds before? :smile:

Rachl and abnegation: im so glad to find out you guys are considering it, cos that says to me it isnt only a target for rahs :biggrin: Couldnt stand to live somewhere where the people looked down their noses out me :s-smilie: Im pretty yorkshire you see :biggrin: Dont have a classy voice at all. lmao
Reply 23
Original post by Abnegation
Haha :tongue: I'm trying to convince myself that all of the rahs will be in Dev anyway - mostly so I can just get this application over and done with! I've changed my mind too many times now.

I'm black, most rich people i've come in contact with have been kind of racist towards me, lol. I'm not the type to blame things on my colour cos that's pathetic but i really don't want to have to worry about that
Reply 24
Original post by Lunalocket
yeeeey!!! Thanks makes me feel alot better about it XD
If i end up in s'j ill probs be seeing you there then =) Yeah, being on campus is very useful. Id wanna be on campus so i could roll out of bed last min to go to my lectures XD you looking forward to finding out what the nightlifes like and stuff? since youre from far away and im guessing havent been up leeds before? :smile:

Rachl and abnegation: im so glad to find out you guys are considering it, cos that says to me it isnt only a target for rahs :biggrin: Couldnt stand to live somewhere where the people looked down their noses out me :s-smilie: Im pretty yorkshire you see :biggrin: Dont have a classy voice at all. lmao

okay, cool. :smile:

the 'bed roll to lectures' is just what i'm after! lol
i'm definitely looking forward to all that jazz :tongue: . i live in london and i've only been to leeds for my interview and the accommodation open day, so i don't actually know how leeds really is, just what i've researched/heard.

what's a 'rah'? :colondollar: sounds like i wouldn't want to be living with them either!
Reply 25

Yeah same, i'm from Leeds anyway so i'm pretty yorkshire haha :smile: My friend at the uni recommended CM to me, even though she stayed at clarence dock, she said charles morris is one of the best accomodations and people she knows there love it :biggrin: I'm sure we will all have a laugh there, and a few parties obviously :biggrin:
Reply 26
okay, cool. :smile:

the 'bed roll to lectures' is just what i'm after! lol
i'm definitely looking forward to all that jazz :tongue: . i live in london and i've only been to leeds for my interview and the accommodation open day, so i don't actually know how leeds really is, just what i've researched/heard.

what's a 'rah'? :colondollar: sounds like i wouldn't want to be living with them either!

Just like someone from private school, but all snobby and arogant, or atleast really reserved, and have high living standards. You know, turn their noses up at alot of things they dont approve of. Not a sound sorta person to try and hang with :s-smilie: Thats the impression i got of what a rah is XD
Reply 27
Original post by rachl
Yeah same, i'm from Leeds anyway so i'm pretty yorkshire haha :smile: My friend at the uni recommended CM to me, even though she stayed at clarence dock, she said charles morris is one of the best accomodations and people she knows there love it :biggrin: I'm sure we will all have a laugh there, and a few parties obviously :biggrin:

hell yeah :biggrin:

what are you gonna be studying?
Reply 28
Social work, you?
Reply 29
Original post by rachl
Social work, you?

Philosophy and japanese XD wierd combo i know
Reply 30

Ohh, sounds complicated :smile: Bet it's interesting though
Reply 31
Just like someone from private school, but all snobby and arogant, or atleast really reserved, and have high living standards. You know, turn their noses up at alot of things they dont approve of. Not a sound sorta person to try and hang with :s-smilie: Thats the impression i got of what a rah is XD

lol, i getcha.
Two points,
1. If you're concerned about 'social mix' (eg rahs or whatever) the rule of thumb is the cheaper the halls, the broader the social mix, ie when I was at Lupton there were loads of people from state schools, northerners, Welsh, Scots etc and it was pretty down to earth and chilled out. At the more expensive halls, by definition, you will get more of the students from rich backgrounds. Most people are still going to be alright, but the spoiled princesses and gap-yah Ruperts who you will find at every uni, will be at the more expensive halls, they won't be at the likes of Lupton.
2. Regarding self-catering or catering, I did self catering. I can't comment on the quality of the food (although if you're on campus and being fed by the Refectory it will be pretty good). I am convinced now that self-catering is the way to go, you get more freedom and a few friends I had who lived in catered halls found it a bit of a bind having to be in at certain times to eat cooked meals. I suppose there are some totally dependent guys who have never boiled an egg who will just be too lazy to feed themselves, but in general I think girls prefer self-catering, because girls social activities involve more around food, they go off buying ingredients and cooking together, its the sort of social thing to do on a Sunday, and the ones who don't have a kitchen miss out on that.
Reply 33
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Two points,
1. If you're concerned about 'social mix' (eg rahs or whatever) the rule of thumb is the cheaper the halls, the broader the social mix, ie when I was at Lupton there were loads of people from state schools, northerners, Welsh, Scots etc and it was pretty down to earth and chilled out. At the more expensive halls, by definition, you will get more of the students from rich backgrounds. Most people are still going to be alright, but the spoiled princesses and gap-yah Ruperts who you will find at every uni, will be at the more expensive halls, they won't be at the likes of Lupton.
2. Regarding self-catering or catering, I did self catering. I can't comment on the quality of the food (although if you're on campus and being fed by the Refectory it will be pretty good). I am convinced now that self-catering is the way to go, you get more freedom and a few friends I had who lived in catered halls found it a bit of a bind having to be in at certain times to eat cooked meals. I suppose there are some totally dependent guys who have never boiled an egg who will just be too lazy to feed themselves, but in general I think girls prefer self-catering, because girls social activities involve more around food, they go off buying ingredients and cooking together, its the sort of social thing to do on a Sunday, and the ones who don't have a kitchen miss out on that.

Thankyou! :biggrin: Id never really considered Lupton before. How long ago did you go to leeds? Or if you're still there, what year are you in now? :smile:
Which accommodation do you think will be the most sociable and least rah-infested out of the halls which are en suite aswell?
Reply 34

That sounds so cool! are they separate or combined? don't really know how it works.
i know a few japanese words that i've picked up here and there, hardly anything really :colondollar: , but i wish i was fluent.
i'd love to go japan one day :biggrin: .
Reply 35
That sounds so cool! are they separate or combined? don't really know how it works.
i know a few japanese words that i've picked up here and there, hardly anything really :colondollar: , but i wish i was fluent.
i'd love to go japan one day :biggrin: .

seperate :smile: Its not like, the philosophy of the japanese language or anything XD
aha. Im more into japanese than philosophy but ive applied to both as a joint and got in, so....might aswell do it XD
Reply 36
seperate :smile: Its not like, the philosophy of the japanese language or anything XD
aha. Im more into japanese than philosophy but ive applied to both as a joint and got in, so....might aswell do it XD

ah makes sense. would have been weird if it was! :biggrin:
Reply 37
ah makes sense. would have been weird if it was! :biggrin:

Yeah :s-smilie: woulda been the most random degree ever. lmao

Quick Reply

Latest