The Student Room Group

Sociology Homework Questions (Help)

Hiya guys & girls :smile: My sociology teacher gave us a little homework ( as shown below):
a)What are the alternatives to marriage? Why have they become more popular?
In this question, im planning to consider: different types of cohabitation, living on your own,legality, age of marriage, financial reasons, different norms, media and roles of females.

b)Divorce rate have rocketed. Does this necessarily mean there is a similar rate of marital breakdown & discord?
...I havent got a clue how to do this one... :redface:
Anybody willing to help me with the questions please, especially question b?
Thank you very much in advance guys & girls :redface: :tsr: xXx Francine
Anybody???...help...please??? :p:
What you're planning to talk about for question a) looks fine. Question b) looks a bit trickier, but I guess you could argue that increased divorce rates are due to divorce being more socially acceptable rather than more marriages breaking down.
For the second part, you could argue that it doesn't neccessarily mean there is a similar rate of marital breakdown. You could mention that in fact, divorce rates are dropping, mainly to do with the fact that marriage rates themselves are decreasing.
You could also say divorces are now more socially acceptable than, say, a hundred years ago, and more easily obtainable.
Try looking on www.statistics.gov.uk and look for divorce grounds, and it shows you reasons for divorce over the past 50 or so years.
Thankies:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending