The Student Room Group

Tuition fees aaaarrghhhh

so who is not going to uni because of high tuition fees??

is it having an affect or do u not care about it??

i've been saving all my ema for the one year i've been getting not that its going to make any difference to what im gonna have to pay

so what are your views??
Reply 1
My views are that you should get a student loan to cover it. You don't pay up front dip****

Really don't get the neg.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jackf1337
My views are that you should get a student loan to cover it. You don't pay up front dip****

by the time i would finish my 5 or 6 year degree which i hope i get into i will be in a lot of debt
Reply 3
Original post by humairaa
by the time i would finish my 5 or 6 year degree which i hope i get into i will be in a lot of debt

Yes, and you pay it off in small chunks. Did you know that if you're earning the minimum salary above the threshold, you pay about £5 a week? If you don't pay off the debt in 30 years, it gets written off. Have you even looked into finance? :lolwut:
Reply 4
Original post by humairaa

So what you don't have to pay it off.

Anyway as long as you don't spend it you'd have more money after your degree than if you paid upfront after interest is applied to the savings and the loan.
You're looking at around 80K of debt for a course that long, it's definitely worth considering alternatives to uni.
Especially as that kind of course is likely to lead to quite a well paid job where you stand a real chance of paying all of it off throughout your working life.
Ask yourself, is this course really going to earn you 80K more over your lifetime by taking it?
Are there any shorter routes into the same profession?
Have you considered the possibility of studying abroad? For example..... tuition fees at Dutch universities are around £1.5K for EU students
Reply 6
well this was stupid... if you went to university this year you pay 3000+ a year for the full length of your course(the 5/6 years) not the 3000+ for this year then 9000+ the rest so....
The people that are saying 'oh you pay it off in small chunks' yes - but you still have a hell of a lot of debt. I would hate to have more than £50k debt hanging over me, plus more when I want to buy a house etc. It is pretty terrifying.
Reply 8
I wouldn't care, I'm never going to pay my loan back as it is. :mmm:
Reply 9
Original post by jackf1337
Yes, and you pay it off in small chunks. Did you know that if you're earning the minimum salary above the threshold, you pay about £5 a week? If you don't pay off the debt in 30 years, it gets written off. Have you even looked into finance? :lolwut:

If only it was THAT simple.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12767850
Reply 10
Yeah it's loads of debt, but the debt itself is "better" than debt you would run up on credit cards or stuff like that because you don't pay ridiculous amounts of interest (I KNOW no debt is good debt but it is good when you compare it to other types of loans and stuff). Put this way, is the degree you want to do a worthwhile degree? (I'm not going to start bashing "Mickey-Mouse degrees" that argument's been done loads!) If it is then the debt shouldn't put you off, the extra money you have the potential to earn in your life with a degree far out ways the debt you will run up at uni. You will be paying back 9% of your salary when you're earning above £21,000, which is nothing compared to money spent on food/electricity/gas/petrol/car insurance etc. I don't want to seem like I support the new fees- I don't, I think they should have approached the issue of further education in a completely different way, but it doesn't seem like you have the right perspective of student debt. I certainly wouldn't be concentrating saving money now to pay off the debts, saving money now for the living costs of going to uni is a good idea, but everyone gets the tuition fee loan so don't stress too much! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Tariq786

:shock: I didn't like the idea of the fees anyway but I didn't know they could be that bad! The thought of paying back twice the amount of the loan and still be paying back by the time I'm 44 just seems... not fun

It will be still the cheapest loan you will ever have. And it can't be called in, foreclosed or used to make you bankrupt.
http://www.delni.gov.uk/graduate_earnings__summary_report_.pdf

Some data (a couple of years old now) showing how graduate earnings vary with regard to gender, location, degree class, and university.
The average graduate earns around £150K more than a non graduate over their lifetime. You have to weigh up whether 80K student debt and 5/6 years of your life are worth the COST of that.
No'one is disputing that the student debt will be easy to pay off once earning, it's the sheer amount you'll have taken out of your salary over a lifetime of earning that gets to me. And with interest rates set to rise again soon, it may not be such cheap debt for too much longer.
Reply 14
Original post by kopite493
well this was stupid... if you went to university this year you pay 3000+ a year for the full length of your course(the 5/6 years) not the 3000+ for this year then 9000+ the rest so....

Who said this thread was about '11 intake? :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Original post by inksplodge
The people that are saying 'oh you pay it off in small chunks' yes - but you still have a hell of a lot of debt. I would hate to have more than £50k debt hanging over me, plus more when I want to buy a house etc. It is pretty terrifying.

How is it hanging over you?

Thats like saying paying national insurance hangs over you, but worse as you pay way more NI than you do on the student loan.
Reply 16

But the amount they would have got without uni would have been no where near as high.

At the other extreme they pay nothing back.
Original post by Quady
But the amount they would have got without uni would have been no where near as high.

At the other extreme they pay nothing back.

Not true for a lot of professions - they'd simply work their way up.
Reply 18
Original post by inksplodge
Not true for a lot of professions - they'd simply work their way up.

Go on, such as?

In any case, grads have to work their way up too, they just start higher up the greesy pole.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending