The Student Room Group

Advice Needed Please! Mature app

Hi all,

I'm currently working in the 'real world' but would like to get back into education. I'd like to start uni in Sept 2011 and am currently in email conversation with a few uni's over my application. I'll be classed as a mature student at the grand old age of 23 and don't really know what I should be looking out for!

I'm thinking of doing Sociology because I enjoyed studying it at uni and am looking at uni's local to where I'm living so that I can communte rather than move into halls. I think my questions are:

Will I miss out on loads by not living on the campus?
Is a sociology degree worth the time and expense? - I've heard that people dismiss it as an easy option.
Are the league tables important? Is it better to study at a uni that is high on the league table for the subject or just generally high standard?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Confuz-eled oldie!:smile:
Original post by Mature Student
Hi all,

Are the league tables important? Is it better to study at a uni that is high on the league table for the subject or just generally high standard?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Confuz-eled oldie!:smile:

Hi there.

In my experience it very much depends on the type of career you want after you graduate, and at what level you want to practice.

For example, if you want to work for one of the Big Four they prefer to recruit people with a good degree (Firsts) from one of the top universities (Oxbridge, Durham, Warwick, etc.) It is possible to get in with a 2:1, or from a lesser university but that's what they tend to prefer.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending