The Student Room Group

help me correct this bit of information

‘Of Mice and Men’, written by John Steinbeck, was first published in 1937. The novel is set in Soledad, California in 1930, soon after the Wall Street crash. This was the beginning of the Great Depression that would affect the whole world during the 1930s.

English is my second language which makes it really difficult to write 'proper' English. Feel free to correct any mistakes etc, thanks.
Reply 1
I cannt see anything wrong with that.
You want a comma after California. But other'n that it's fine.
Reply 3
Reply 4
its fine u just need a comma after Califoria
Reply 5
Add a comma after California, and perhaps change the colon after 1930 to a semi-colon ';'.
Reply 6
‘Of Mice and Men’, written by John Steinbeck, was first published in 1937. The novel is set in Soledad, California in 1930, soon after the Wall Street crash. This was the beginning of the Great Depression that would affect the whole world during the 1930s.

This seems to be generally secure. It makes sense. I would use the phrase ''during this period or during this time'', so that you avoid using the reference to the 1930's twice. However, yout structure is coherent and logical, so there are no problems. You will also need a comma after California. You could perhaps eliminate the use of the word written, but it does show awareness of the genre. You might include a semi collan between ''Wall Street Crash'' and ''This was the beginning'' as these events are linked.

Latest

Trending

Trending