Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Drugs aren't illegal because they're harmful

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're illegal because people are prejudiced against the idea of being "high".
    The goverment would rather let you take dangerous medicines with harmful side effects, rather than let you take a medicine which is more effective but gets you high.

Take cannabis for example, it has been found to be more effective at treating cancer than chemotherapy, whilst at the same time far less harmful and with less side effects.

It's also found to be more effective at preventing Alzheimers than commercial drugs prescribed by doctors, and can treat things like multiple sclerosis.

Believe me cannabis is just one of many many examples (albeit the best known) of medicinally superior drugs which are banned simply because they get you high, not because they are harmful.

For example hydrocone is used for post-surgical pain relief, however they add acetaminophen to prevent people taking enough hydrocone to get high off. However acetaminophen is toxic and causes serious liver damage leading to thousands of emergency room visits and deaths per year and less dangerous than taking just Hydrocone.

If psychoactive drugs are illegal because they're harmful, then why is it legal to take more harmful non-psychoactive drugs?

This leads me to the conclusion that the government would rather kill you or force you to take far more dangerous medicines than let you get high...

Read more here:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-the-war-drugs
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not in the case of alcohol
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    They're illegal because people are prejudiced against the idea of being "high".
    The goverment would rather let you take dangerous medicines with harmful side effects, rather than let you take a medicine which is more effective but gets you high.

Take cannabis for example, it has been found to be more effective at treating cancer than chemotherapy, whilst at the same time far less harmful and with less side effects.

It's also found to be more effective at preventing Alzheimers than commercial drugs prescribed by doctors, and can treat things like multiple sclerosis.

Believe me cannabis is just one of many many examples (albeit the best known) of medicinally superior drugs which are banned simply because they get you high, not because they are harmful.

For example hydrocone is used for post-surgical pain relief, however they add acetaminophen to prevent people taking enough hydrocone to get high off. However acetaminophen is toxic and causes serious liver damage leading to thousands of emergency room visits and deaths per year and less dangerous than taking just Hydrocone.

If psychoactive drugs are illegal because they're harmful, then why is it legal to take more harmful non-psychoactive drugs?

This leads me to the conclusion that the government would rather kill you or force you to take far more dangerous medicines than let you get high...

Read more here:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-the-war-drugs
    I always believed they were banned due to potential affect on society they would have.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yea being high is potentially harmful though, as people realise how good it feels and are less productive members of society. A balance needs to be struck.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bacforever3)
    I always believed they were banned due to potential affect on society they would have.
    Maybe, however their predictions were pretty wrong as we can see society hasn't collapsed due to people being high all the time.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    Yea being high is potentially harmful though, as people realise how good it feels and are less productive members of society. A balance needs to be struck.
    I'd argue only heroin or crack potentially has the ability to make people less productive members of society, ironically two drugs which were invented because drugs were made illegal. However there are people who take heroin who are upstanding functioning members of society.

Alcohol I guess too for some people, but strangely that's legal nonetheless?

I guess we're just worker ants, only valued in relation to how useful we are to the capitalist economy. But getting high every so often in reality doesn't affect this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sally12379823)
    Not in the case of alcohol
    Alcohol is one the biggest contradictions when ti comes to drugs. It kills more people than other drugs yet it is perfectyl legal - and taxable.

I'm not saying it should be made illegal, or all drugs should be made legal but this blanket view that all recreational drugs are bad except alcohol is blinkered and outdated.
    To be honest the government, if they legalised cannabis for example could make a fortune out of tax on it and solve the debt crisis!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Funny but I find that I'm a lot more productive when high. I am of course talking when on amphetamines, downers obviousley not.

I think the main argument FOR legalisation should be that then we could control the ingredients, make sure they're pure and hence cause less damage due to unknown constituents.

For example -
    acid. If it were legal we'd know that every tab or bottle we bought is indeed acid, and a trip will be fairly mellow and last 8-12 hours.

At the moment when you buy a tab - it's more than likley to be bromo, hence a trip is intense and lasts anything upto 36 hours.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe in terms of weed and such but I think heroin is illegal because of the harm it causes.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneAnna)
    Funny but I find that I'm a lot more productive when high. I am of course talking when on amphetamines, downers obviousley not.

I think the main argument FOR legalisation should be that then we could control the ingredients, make sure they're pure and hence cause less damage due to unknown constituents.

For example -
    acid. If it were legal we'd know that every tab or bottle we bought is indeed acid, and a trip will be fairly mellow and last 8-12 hours.

At the moment when you buy a tab - it's more than likley to be bromo, hence a trip is intense and lasts anything upto 36 hours.
    Me too, incredibly more productive. No wonder Freud wrote so much.

But not many people take stimulants to be more productive, they take them for lesiurely reasons.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's because the government doesn't get any tax from them.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    They should at least legalise medical cannabis. It's absolutely ridiculous that it's still illegal while being legal in most of western Europe & parts of the USA...

To be fair I haven't done much research but if I felt cannabis might get me through cancer I would take it anyway. Screw the law, when it's something as bad as cancer you should try everything to beat that bitch.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I find this hard to belive.

I would rather canabis be legal than alcohol - it would make people more mellow and sleepy rather than violent and stupid etc etc. Alcohol is a stupid drug but its been in our culture for thousands of years, so its hard to make illigal.

By my opinion that alcohol should logically be illigal, I dont think we should introduce canabis as legal. As for more hard-core drugs, they really mess up peoples lives and I dont want that to be any easier...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Me too, incredibly more productive. No wonder Freud wrote so much.

But not many people take stimulants to be more productive, they take them for lesiurely reasons.
    I do agree, if I take anything I take it for leisure BUT I often find myself cleaning up my house, picking up and finishing work or etcetera...

Plus psychedelic drugs are great for artists and creative people.
    Derren Brown was a huge acid user back in the day, and has actually said that that's where many of his ideas stem from - from when he was tripping.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneAnna)
    I do agree, if I take anything I take it for leisure BUT I often find myself cleaning up my house, picking up and finishing work or etcetera...

Plus psychedelic drugs are great for artists and creative people.
    Derren Brown was a huge acid user back in the day, and has actually said that that's where many of his ideas stem from - from when he was tripping.
    Yea acid made me trip balls. Talk about opening the doorways of perception! Wow.

I just think there are so many things to think about with making all drugs totally legal, as wonderful as they can be.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    I find this hard to belive.

I would rather canabis be legal than alcohol - it would make people more mellow and sleepy rather than violent and stupid etc etc. Alcohol is a stupid drug but its been in our culture for thousands of years, so its hard to make illigal.

By my opinion that alcohol should logically be illigal, I dont think we should introduce canabis as legal. As for more hard-core drugs, they really mess up peoples lives and I dont want that to be any easier...
    Which drugs would you say are "hard-core"?

Of course it's hard to believe when it is drummed into you that it's harmful, but the science behind it is quite clear, cannabis can treat cancer and has a multitude of real medical benefits to such people as suffering AIDs and other diseases.

MDMA/Ecstasy is a class A drug, this would lead you to believe it is extremely harmful. You can go to jail for 7 years for possessing it. But there is research being done on ecstasy for treating eating disorders, anxiety and post-traumatic stress. Plus there is very little harm in taking it, and it's not addictive.

LSD and magic mushrooms are class A drugs, yet they are perfectly healthy for you, much healthier than fast food. They can be used to treat anxiety disorders.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Plus forgot to mention LSD and magic mushrooms are non addictive.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

a source for these claims?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Which drugs would you say are "hard-core"?

Of course it's hard to believe when it is drummed into you that it's harmful, but the science behind it is quite clear, cannabis can treat cancer and has a multitude of real medical benefits to such people as suffering AIDs and other diseases.

MDMA/Ecstasy is a class A drug, this would lead you to believe it is extremely harmful. You can go to jail for 7 years for possessing it. But there is research being done on ecstasy for treating eating disorders, anxiety and post-traumatic stress. Plus there is very little harm in taking it, and it's not addictive.

LSD and magic mushrooms are class A drugs, yet they are perfectly healthy for you, much healthier than fast food. They can be used to treat anxiety disorders.
    I don't believe that cannabis can treat cancer as effectivley as drugs specifically designed for that. How on earth is cannabis going to treat cancer? It might releave some symptoms of stress etc etc but its not going to kill fast-growing cells like chemotherapy does!

You are naming the least harmful drugs. I know some of those you named are relativley safe chemically. But drugs like heroin etc etc (can't remember all their names and don't want to go on the internet to find them because I'm at work) just destroy peoples lives - If you think they don't you have lived a very sheltered life.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    They should at least legalise medical cannabis. It's absolutely ridiculous that it's still illegal while being legal in most of western Europe & parts of the USA...

To be fair I haven't done much research but if I felt cannabis might get me through cancer I would take it anyway. Screw the law, when it's something as bad as cancer you should try everything to beat that bitch.
    Cannabis won't beat the cancer?? Just relieve the pain associated with MS and certain cancer treatments.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 8, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.