Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drugs aren't illegal because they're harmful

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    Well, to be fair it's pretty rare for acid to be impure, but a bunch of people (including the vendor himself) overdosed and died after a batch of bromo got sent out mislabeled as 2c-b-fly. The unregulated grey market for legal 'research chemicals' is probably one of the more dangerous consequences of the war on drugs. People have concocted some pretty nasty **** trying to get around the drug laws. That said, the fact that these substances are available yet deaths remain relatively rare tells me drug users are a lot more responsible than people like to think. Still a lot of potential for disaster, though.
    I think we all know it's dangerous. But isn't everything? Even getting in your car is a risk.

The funny thing is tho- there are soo many drug aware people out there - htat have tried them or use them recreationally you'd think that I'd have hit home by now - legalising it is the best way to avoid un-necessary deaths, deaths due to impurities and dealers cutting their ****.

I've finally managed to find a good acid dealer here, on that doesn't sell bromo ****. Took a long time to come across....
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneAnna)
    Funny but I find that I'm a lot more productive when high. I am of course talking when on amphetamines, downers obviousley not.

I think the main argument FOR legalisation should be that then we could control the ingredients, make sure they're pure and hence cause less damage due to unknown constituents.

For example -
    acid. If it were legal we'd know that every tab or bottle we bought is indeed acid, and a trip will be fairly mellow and last 8-12 hours.

At the moment when you buy a tab - it's more than likley to be bromo, hence a trip is intense and lasts anything upto 36 hours.
    But concerning mescaline, which you can buy legally (of sorts) in it's cacti form, you know what you're getting because you have to order it from the Internet, not your average street dealer. Depending on how much you take depends on how intense the trip is, but it lasts roughly the same amount of time as acid.

It's all about finding alternatives, and I'd much rather that than take something which isn't what someone says it is (unfortunately legalisation will never be an option because the government simply aren't adventurous enough :sad: ).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Heroin is one of the least physically harmful drugs around. Granted its addictive but no more so than nicotine and going cold turkey wont kill you like doing so with an alcohol addiction could. Risk of overdose is not much higher than with alcohol and is unlikely unless done purposefully. The harms heroin use causes come almost entirely from its illegality.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cannabis has been found to help prevent some types of cancer:

http://rinf.com/alt-news/latest-news...t-cancer/1784/

“We also know that Id-1 has also been found at higher levels in other forms of cancer. So what is exciting about this study is that if CBD can inhibit Id-1 in breast cancer cells, then it may also prove effective at stopping the spread of cancer cells in other forms of the disease, such as colon and brain or prostate cancer.”

Also, some of the most famous people in the world have been known to take drugs, and many pivotal scientific discoveries, such as DNA, were discovered because of the effects of drugs.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bacforever3)
    I always believed they were banned due to potential affect on society they would have.
    So it's about the effect on society more than harm to the individual?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous drugs are illegal, ignoring all the other reasons it should be legal for a second, then the fact is it doesn't harm anybody but the user, so therefore if I want to get ****ed off my titties on ecstacy or whatever then as an adult I should be allowed to make that decision.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    I don't believe that cannabis can treat cancer as effectivley as drugs specifically designed for that. How on earth is cannabis going to treat cancer? It might releave some symptoms of stress etc etc but its not going to kill fast-growing cells like chemotherapy does!
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news...s-brain-cancer

http://bighealthreport.com/1407/gove...-cancer-cells/

http://digg.com/news/science/science...er_cells_video

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/05/...cer-cells.html

http://www.rense.com/general93/canna.htm
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bacforever3)
    I always believed they were banned due to potential affect on society they would have.
    Yes this is obviously the reason why, OP. Alcohol is part of our culture and fits in to it, people use it to let off steam after another ****ty week at the office. Other drugs, especially psychedelics, would substantially alter society if more people did them, more often.

(Original post by Stefan1991)
    Maybe, however their predictions were pretty wrong as we can see society hasn't collapsed due to people being high all the time.
    tbh, the segments of society that are into drugs have pretty much collapsed. I used to be all pro-drugs and ****, but then I got into the real world and encountered groups of junkies (whether it's weed, party drugs, harder stuff, whatever) and I saw what filth they invariably were. Lying, cheating, thieving scum, all of them. Not delightful hippy, loving, cloud-skipping saints who only want to help everyone. They're dirty ****ing tent-dwellers whose hobbies include shoplifting and smashing car windows.

The only people who do/have done drugs who I approve of are those with a handful of experiences in their past, who then adopted a fairly normal life, OR people who isolate themselves and live in a cave somewhere eating shrooms and reflecting on existence.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    Yes this is obviously the reason why, OP. Alcohol is part of our culture and fits in to it, people use it to let off steam after another ****ty week at the office. Other drugs, especially psychedelics, would substantially alter society if more people did them, more often.
    Yes, but they'd probably change society for the better. Not worse.

tbh, the segments of society that are into drugs have pretty much collapsed. I used to be all pro-drugs and ****, but then I got into the real world and encountered groups of junkies (whether it's weed, party drugs, harder stuff, whatever) and I saw what filth they invariably were. Lying, cheating, thieving scum, all of them. Not delightful hippy, loving, cloud-skipping saints who only want to help everyone. They're dirty ****ing tent-dwellers whose hobbies include shoplifting and smashing car windows.

The only people who do/have done drugs who I approve of are those with a handful of experiences in their past, who then adopted a fairly normal life, OR people who isolate themselves and live in a cave somewhere eating shrooms and reflecting on existence.
    What segments of society are these? Sounds like you are tarring everyone with the same brush. Who are these tent dwellers? And why are you basing all your opinions on drugs on these strange people I've never heard of?

Just because bad people take drugs doesn't make all drug users bad. Nice people take drugs too. They're probably in the majority.

Also I don't understand this obsession with a "normal lifestyle". So if people don't conform to what your idea of a "normal" lifestyle is, then you don't like them? :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This thread is over a year old, why drag it back from the dead?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had a mate with MS, he had to use a frame to walk, his nan grew cannabis for him in her conservatory as it helped buckets with his illness which nothing else did.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

your a bit of a prick mate with this post, thats the biggest snottiest generalisation I've ever seen and it is also false. You think because you've met a few people that must be what they are all like?

what if I said, I have met many groups of muslims, and I saw the filth they actually are. They are ignorant, bigoted, intolerant and stupid. They all blow up things and beat their wives.

See how stupid that sounds? Get off high horse not everyone who takes drugs is a junkie and lies...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just think how many business sectors would be undercut if cannabis was made legal. You have your answer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badcheesecrispy)
    your a bit of a prick mate with this post, thats the biggest snottiest generalisation I've ever seen and it is also false. You think because you've met a few people that must be what they are all like?

what if I said, I have met many groups of muslims, and I saw the filth they actually are. They are ignorant, bigoted, intolerant and stupid. They all blow up things and beat their wives.

See how stupid that sounds? Get off high horse not everyone who takes drugs is a junkie and lies...
    Sounds reasonable to me, actually.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but they'd probably change society for the better. Not worse.
    It would have to be completely different, overhauled. I'm not sure how it would work, but I'm certainly interested in alternative forms of society because our current strategy of "let's make our planet uninhabitable ASAP" doesn't really appeal to me.

What segments of society are these? Sounds like you are tarring everyone with the same brush. Who are these tent dwellers? And why are you basing all your opinions on drugs on these strange people I've never heard of?

Just because bad people take drugs doesn't make all drug users bad. Nice people take drugs too. They're probably in the majority.

Also I don't understand this obsession with a "normal lifestyle". So if people don't conform to what your idea of a "normal" lifestyle is, then you don't like them? :confused:
    I object to most normal lifestyles, but most people who adopt them are "just trying to get along" and basically quietly passing time before they die. The average drug user, I venture, is usually a bit more of a disturbance to this peace. Not all, no - as I was obliged (TSR) to note - but "most". I'm thinking of a certain sort of person who is very common indeed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're illegal because...
    why do you think
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/200...n-cfief-claims
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion keeping any drugs illegal have not done any good for anybody and in a "free" country you should be able to do anything to yourself if you are not hurting anybody else

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 8, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.