Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Is everyone biased?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone biased in one way or another?
    Is it possible for a person to be unbiased? And if so how?
    Would they need to be raised a certain way from birth? Raised to be completely impartial?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's biased.

You can't be totally unbiased.

Just look at British politics.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is biased due to the subjective method by which our objective reality is viewed. You can, however, be more or less biased comparatively within a framework that accepts that everyone has a certain amount of bias.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's biased even a little bit, although it can be minimised through certain factors.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can’t give you a definitive answer but I can offer a few thoughts on the subject. Scientific method attempts to avoid bias by only forming beliefs on the basis of testable hypotheses. So you could argue that scientists are inclined to think in the least biased way but then only about scientific subjects. However, many of the important decisions that need to be made in life have not got a scientifically available answer because personal values come into it. So, for example it would be impossible to state that one person was more attractive than another because “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” and varies from one person to another.
    The principals of law try to meld logic with judgement to arrive at the best / fairest decisions but there is always an element of choice involved. Also the legal system does not operate in a bubble, it is affected by pressure from politicians who are themselves often responding to public opinion rather than trying to be fair or unbiased.
    The biases people have in their thinking are often rooted in dishonesty, so a person who can be honest with themselves can often avoid some of the bias that so easily creeps into our thinking. This, together with an ability to think critically about subjects rather than just accept what others tell us is, I believe, the best way to reduce biased thinking.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it isn't possible to be completely unbiased, because we as humans have a subjective nature.
    whether we like it or not, our emotions, to some extent, guide our decisions. and since we can't really get rid of our emotions, we're always going to be biased to that certain extent.
    also, different people can perceive one thing in so many different ways, so we are biased because we make decisions based on what we know (and we don't know everything there is to know about any one thing), hence the bias.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I always laugh (or cry) at the idea that our 'top' universities like to think that they encourage objective thinking and yet they are biased against the serious study of certain art forms (and yet not other art forms).
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    You couldn't know, because if you're biased then you will say: Everyone is biased, which makes you biased.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Human's by their nature are biased, whether it be from simple friendships and rivalries to deeply ingrained political ideas of class. However, I believe it is possible to get somewhere near impartiality, through an understanding of applied ethics and philosophies. I have to say the idea of being wholly unbiased is dependant upon whatever is considered biased. Surely if a biased opinion is considered unbiased then an original unbiased viewpoint would have to be biased. To have an unbiased view on an opinion, which is by nature everything, whether scientific or artistic (the same thing?), is a seeming impossibility. This must lead to the conclusion that the state of being unbiased is subject to considerable bias, and is thus irrelevant.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le_Bow)
    Would they need to be raised a certain way from birth? Raised to be completely impartial?
    Yes you can.
    I am actually known among my friends for being totally unbiased
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limoncello)
    Yes you can.
    Has it occurred to you that your friends are biased?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limoncello)
    Yes you can.
    Technically, the fact you are known as unbiased makes you biased to answer this question "yes"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le_Bow)
    a logical argument from first principles cannot be biased. however much i might hate it, Pythagoras's theorem is still correct.

the only problem is that people do not think logically much of the time. welcome to the sorry state of humanity.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotte-rose)
    Technically, the fact you are known as unbiased makes you biased to answer this question "yes"
    hehe, good one
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Plus, being unbiased is being biased toward being unbiased or not?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think objectivity is achievable to a certain degree, but total impartiality is pretty much unobtainable due to our upbringing and experiences leading us to hold certains beliefs and opinions. But, practically, the less you know about a subject matter the easier it is to be objective - though the value of your judgement and decision obviously correlates with your knowledge of the topic, so it is hardly much use to be objective but not very well-informed. Inevitably, as we learn more about any topic, the more we become biased. To then return to a state of impartiality is very difficult indeed.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To some point, everyone is biased. You can be objective to a certain degree but based on your surroundings, upbringing and many other things, you're going to either sway one way or another for certain reasons.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it probably same reason some folks like one brand of any product over another. After almost 20 years of looking at the innerds of reels, we believe the Shimano parts are of higher quality and their reels have a close tolerance.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2011
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.