The Student Room Group

Rank the sciences in order of "importance"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fibrebiz
Dude, you're forgetting GEOLOGY.

Geology is the greatest, best and easiest science, especially for those who want to be medics.
Why take maths, chemistry, biology and physics, when you could swap physics/maths for geology?
It's so much easier to get that coveted set of straight A grades.

It's also a great conversation starter if you're trying to pick up girls:
"Hey there: I'm a geologist"
"Isn't geology just looking at rocks?"
"It's so much more than that, let me explain..."

People only take Geology for A Level because there are plenty of field trips
Reply 41
Physics.

End of.

Seriously though, no one can really deny this. Everything boils down to physics in the end. Disagree? Prove me wrong....
the only useful maths is used in the scientists the other stuff isnt as important placing it at the bottom

without physics we would not have the technology for chemistry and biology so i guess physics is most important
Original post by tateco
People are going to come up with the Maths>Physics>Chemistry>Biology argument because it's obvious, roll on all the "you couldn't have chemistry without physics"

I personally think chemistry is the most important for modern society, developing alternative fuels and better medicines are two of the most important situations facing us at the moment

the alternate fuels we currently thinking off mostly use physics

wind power
fusion
solar power
hydro power
etc
They all compliment eachother

Physics

Chemistry

Biology

No question
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
[QUOTE="JayTeeKay;30583785"]Physics > Chemistry > Biology

Physics is the science of everything, chemistry can mostly be dealt with using the Schrödinger equation (physics) and biology either boils down to chemistry or stamp collecting -in my humble opinion :biggrin:.

Maths is not a (proper) science! It cannot be proven with experiment or observation. If you consider maths to be a science, then you're really doing physics.[/QUOTE]

That reminds me of what Feynman said :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by dnumberwang
People only take Geology for A Level because there are plenty of field trips

No argument there.
Reply 48
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
Well obviously Physics as the world would not exist without the laws of Physics.
Original post by kopite493
the only useful maths is used in the scientists the other stuff isnt as important placing it at the bottom

:lol: that's not true though...
Reply 51
Original post by kopite493
the alternate fuels we currently thinking off mostly use physics

wind power
fusion
solar power
hydro power
etc

Congratulations for listing the four most generic responses to alternative fuels. If you seriously think that alternative fuels isn't at the forefront of chemistry then you are mistaken.

For example, here are some of the targets currently facing chemistry:

Developing new catalysts to directly transform methane into longer-chain alkanes; perform other chemical conversions that hold promise for transportation and general energy-source use.
Scale up promising chemical fuels for combustion testing; optimize fuel composition and production characteristics. Work closely with research partners to commercialize promising chemical fuel technologies.
Reply 52
Original post by gradjobplease
Does everything in TSR need a ranking? Rank THESE sandwiches in order of prestige/taste/career prospects.

Tuna
Ham
Cheese
Bacon
Turkey

Turkey
Tuna
Cheese
Ham
Bacon
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by kasiasunshine
They all compliment eachother

No room for sensible answers here :wink:
Reply 54
Physics
Chem
Biology

but the order of how much I like them is exactly the opposite way round :biggrin:
Economics, Maths, Physics ....
Reply 56
Maths is simply logic. Advanced, 100%, universal truth.

Physics is applying those universal truths to try and figure out how everything works. Technically, physics is, "the study of matter, forces and energy". We don't know what matter is yet, nor do we know waht energy is. In reality, without physics we wouldn't have electricity, the wheel or telecommunications.

Chemistry is the study of matter and the way it behaves. It is normally practiced as the study of elemental atoms (anything smaller is left to physicists) and works its way up from there. From chemistry we gain what I would call the tools of the human race. This can include everything we produce, from metals to medicines and industrial chemicals to glass.

I won't comment on Biology other than to say it is simply chemistry applied to living things.

So, in my opinion:

Physics + Chemistry have an equal role to play in the development of the human race

BUT

Chemistry will always be the driving force in improving standards of living, after physics has laid the groundwork. (By groundwork I mean electricity, the lightbulb, nuclear power etc.)
Reply 57
Nothing to do with the question, but I thought I should just say:-

[INDENT]All science is either physics or stamp collecting - Ernest Rutherford[/INDENT]

:cool:
Reply 58
Original post by minimus777
I love your sig :colone:

:ninja:

it looks familiar :beard:
Original post by JRGC
Physics > Chemistry > Biology

Physics is the science of everything, chemistry can mostly be dealt with using the Schrödinger equation (physics) and biology either boils down to chemistry or stamp collecting -in my humble opinion :biggrin:.

Maths is not a (proper) science! It cannot be proven with experiment or observation. If you consider maths to be a science, then you're really doing physics.

That reminds me of what Feynman said :smile:

To be fair, that's probably where I heard it from :tongue: Feynman is amazing!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest