The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Postgraduate and/or mature students

Hi all, I'm off to Leeds in September to study a full time MSc in Transport Planning and Engineering. I'm 32, so I'll be both a mature student and a postgraduate. I wanted to see how many more like me there were and wondering where people were planning to live? I'd definitely like to be somewhere quieter than when I was an undergrad as I'm here to study this time! But I'm not a recluse and I enjoy a good night out and want to make new friends. Any tips on how to strike that balance when choosing where to live?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Transportation Planning and the environment. cu there
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Hiya, are you going to the open day on 6th May? And where are you looking to live?
Reply 3
I'm 35, coming from Canada to do my MA in Political Communications. Currently looking for an apartment (self-contained) with the same criteria - walkable to school, but not necessarily in the student district. Looking a bit south of the City Centre currently but not sure how far I want to go.

Is Unipol the best place to find a place or are there good reputable sites? I'm not able to get to Leeds to see the flats in person so I've got to trust the photos to give me a good idea of what I'm getting into. Thoughts?
Reply 4
Original post by N.Monkey
Hiya, are you going to the open day on 6th May? And where are you looking to live?

Well, I may or may not, it depends. I'm planning to come with a friend or two so it must be a date that is convenient for all.
I will probably stay at the uni accommodations but I'm still not sure.
Something off topic. I'm not a mature student, still 23
Reply 5
Original post by CdnPRGal
I'm 35, coming from Canada to do my MA in Political Communications. Currently looking for an apartment (self-contained) with the same criteria - walkable to school, but not necessarily in the student district. Looking a bit south of the City Centre currently but not sure how far I want to go.

Is Unipol the best place to find a place or are there good reputable sites? I'm not able to get to Leeds to see the flats in person so I've got to trust the photos to give me a good idea of what I'm getting into. Thoughts?

Canada! I'm from Greece. Some websites offer videos and seem pretty much like the photos so I guess you get what you see. Still don't rush
(edited 13 years ago)
edit
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
This is a test. Can't seem to post replies at the moment
Reply 8
It worked!

CdnPRGal - What I've been trying to write for the past 2 weeks is... I've been looking at Unipol too and from what I can see they have the majority of private places on there, plus it's the reputable place to go to from what I can gather.

Have you tried looking at Kexgill (they have various properties) or Mary Morris? (If you Google them both it brings up their sites.) They seem to have a lot of studios at good prices (though so good I think there must be a catch!! Trying to work out if there is one!)

What brings you all the way from Canada to (not so) sunny Leeds?
Reply 9
Hi there! :smile:
I found a place on Unipol and have firmed it up already - the landlord came highly recommended, had a few 5-star unipol rated properties, a good website and clear photos of the apartments. The rent is reasonable too - 475 a month for a spacious one-bedroom apartment with a backyard and secure bicycle shed. It's in Holbeck/Beeston area, about a 25 minute walk from campus, and I've been touring the neighbourhood on Google streetview and am quite pleased with it. It's a large Victorian house with 5-6 flats, all rented by single post-graduate mature students, so I'm happy. (I'm just crossing my fingers for no surprises once I actually arrive to move in!)

As for why I'm going to Leeds - it's been a longstanding dream of mine to study abroad and take advantage of the travel opportunities available in the UK, as it's obviously very expensive to travel frequently from Canada. I work in mid-level management for the City of Toronto municipal government, and they've offered me a leave of absence to pursue my Masters with the understanding that I'll come back and take on a senior role - so it was a great opportunity! Plus, Leeds is known internationally as a strong communications school, and it's WAY cheaper than living in London, with what appears to be similar amenities/culture etc.... and I've always wanted to see Northern England so it was a perfect fit. Here's hoping the reality lives up to the dream (sun or not!)
Original post by CdnPRGal
Hi there! :smile:
I found a place on Unipol and have firmed it up already - the landlord came highly recommended, had a few 5-star unipol rated properties, a good website and clear photos of the apartments. The rent is reasonable too - 475 a month for a spacious one-bedroom apartment with a backyard and secure bicycle shed. It's in Holbeck/Beeston area, about a 25 minute walk from campus, and I've been touring the neighbourhood on Google streetview and am quite pleased with it. It's a large Victorian house with 5-6 flats, all rented by single post-graduate mature students, so I'm happy. (I'm just crossing my fingers for no surprises once I actually arrive to move in!)

As for why I'm going to Leeds - it's been a longstanding dream of mine to study abroad and take advantage of the travel opportunities available in the UK, as it's obviously very expensive to travel frequently from Canada. I work in mid-level management for the City of Toronto municipal government, and they've offered me a leave of absence to pursue my Masters with the understanding that I'll come back and take on a senior role - so it was a great opportunity! Plus, Leeds is known internationally as a strong communications school, and it's WAY cheaper than living in London, with what appears to be similar amenities/culture etc.... and I've always wanted to see Northern England so it was a perfect fit. Here's hoping the reality lives up to the dream (sun or not!)

That sounds great, Unipol is always a good bet for postgrads. Also living in Holbeck/Beeston there aren't so many students in general so you will get to experience the 'real Leeds'.

Good to hear that ICS at Leeds is well known. Last year I went to a really good seminar they put on after the General Election, reflecting on the 2010 campaign in the media and how it differed from previous ones, with Stephen Coleman and Judith Stamper (who is well known round here as she used to be the newsreader on local TV for many years before becoming a lecturer).
Reply 11
Hey ya
Im 23 from Thailand and I will be doing MSc International Marketing Management as Leeds this year , thinking about to stay at Broadcasting Tower , anyone interested in BCT ????

anyone who's going to do the same course with me , please send me some msg :biggrin: it would be great to know some class mates before course starts :smile:
I've just set up a mature students fb group, if anyone is interested. I thought it'd be interesting to pass on info about mature students' events etc.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_216579741702623

Please join! It's just me and my husband at the minute, and he's not even going to university! :P
I'll be staying at BCT (hopefully) and am also a postgraduate! :smile:
Original post by jeffercake
I've just set up a mature students fb group, if anyone is interested. I thought it'd be interesting to pass on info about mature students' events etc.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_216579741702623

Please join! It's just me and my husband at the minute, and he's not even going to university! :P

Just joined! Hi everyone Im hoping to study Environment and Buisness and will be 24 in September just hoping I will not be freaked out by how young everyone is! :smile:
Reply 15
At 24, I'd still count you as a youngster! :smile:
Original post by N.Monkey
At 24, I'd still count you as a youngster! :smile:

Yey! :smile: Just hope I get now, 18th of August is going to be a scary day!
Reply 17
I joined the group a while ago. It's funny how you have information that I didn't hear from the university until a few weeks later!

But at 23 [24 in November] I'm not really that mature ;D And I consider myself to be extremely childish anyway, so I hope it's not going to be a big problem other than me feeling old... haha!
Reply 18
Mary Morris is a nice accom for those who like quiet place to live. I live in the flat for a whole academic year with my girlfriend. And we really love it. But they only offer an academic year contract and summer contract, so if you cannot sign a whole year contract, you have to leave in 1st September.

The fee there is quite cheap compared with other student accom.

The staff there are also quite friendly, they wouldn't charge you any fee. Because in some student accom, when you receive a parcel, you have to pay admission fee to the office.

Unfortunately, if you are a student in LMU Headinley Campus, it is not far. but if you are a student from University of Leeds or LMU City Campus, you have to take bus every day (about 10-20 mins). you can also ride bike or walk, lots of students in marymorris have bikes. And they offer free car park area which is also very helpful if you buy a car there.

Now I move to the city centre due to the previous reason. It is quite nosiy. I think I miss the days in marymorris
Original post by vief
I joined the group a while ago. It's funny how you have information that I didn't hear from the university until a few weeks later!

But at 23 [24 in November] I'm not really that mature ;D And I consider myself to be extremely childish anyway, so I hope it's not going to be a big problem other than me feeling old... haha!

I'm 31 and i feel incredibly immature :colone:

I'm kind of worried that I will be stuck in the middle - too old for the cool young kids and too ridiculously immature and childish for the oldies!

Quick Reply

Latest