The Student Room Group

Messed up big time

I flunked AS with terrible grades but managed to get into A2, hoping that I'll pull myself together and revise right away to get better results. I kept my resolution and I still failed a majority of my exams in January A2. Now I'm keeping my few C grades and retaking the rest in summer but that ****ed up too. My English teacher incorrectly confirmed a coursework retake but I want to do the actual written examination from AS in summer. Now I have to pay another £18 to withdraw and enter the correct exam. I'm absolutely demotivated to do anything because of all this let down, I cannot adjust at all. I'm interested in doing something in media/film/creative writing/English/journalism. I hate my college, the journey, the teachers, the students (even thuogh I have some mates they aren't really friends, they are just people I talk to we share no common interests or anything). The college has an above average reputation on paper and seemed like an excellent choice when applying, but it's full of pretentious philistines. I don't even know why I'm in college, it feels as if I'm doing this to please someone else, or just to fulfill other people's expectation that college to uni is the only way to become sucessful. What do I do? Should I go to uni? Should I apply for an apprenticeship? Should I start all over?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by wtf
I flunked AS with terrible grades but managed to get A2, hoping that I'll pull myself together and revise right away to get better results. I kept my resolution and I still failed a majority of my exams in January A2. Now I'm keeping my few C grades and retaking the rest in summer but that ****ed up too. My English teacher incorrectly confirmed a coursework retake but I want to do the actual written examination from AS in summer. Now I have to pay another £18 to withdraw and enter the correct exam. I'm absolutely demotivated to do anything because of all this let down, I cannot adjust at all. I'm interested in doing something in media/film/creative writing/English/journalism. I hate my college, the journey, the teachers, the students (even thuogh I have some mates they aren't really friends, they are just people I talk to we share no common interests or anything). The college has an above average reputation on paper and seemed like an excellent choice when applying, but it's full of pretentious philistines. I don't even know why I'm in college, it feels as if I'm doing this to please someone else, or just to fulfill other people's expectation that college to uni is the only way to become sucessful. What do I do? Should I go to uni? Should I apply for an apprenticeship? Should I start all over?

School doesn't work for everyone :console:
If you want to go into creative writing/journalism you don't actually need a degree (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
What you do need is dedication and persistence. Try and get some work experience and talk to journalists about their work/how to start up, see if that's what you want to do- and then go for it! Good luck
Reply 2
wtf
OP
Original post by frequent_flyer
School doesn't work for everyone :console:
If you want to go into creative writing/journalism you don't actually need a degree (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
What you do need is dedication and persistence. Try and get some work experience and talk to journalists about their work/how to start up, see if that's what you want to do- and then go for it! Good luck

Thanks for your response. I think a degree is not absolutely necessary for journalism and experience is highly sought after. I should get work experience, but I can't help but think that my parents would frown upon me for not going uni and failing A levels (most likely). Where would the most appropriate place be to start? An apprenticeship seems promising. Everything is shambolic at the moment, I hate the feeling that I've just wasted two years achieving absolutely nothing. I just want this time to pass.
Original post by wtf
Thanks for your response. I think a degree is not absolutely necessary for journalism and experience is highly sought after. I should get work experience, but I can't help but think that my parents would frown upon me for not going uni and failing A levels (most likely). Where would the most appropriate place be to start? An apprenticeship seems promising. Everything is shambolic at the moment, I hate the feeling that I've just wasted two years achieving absolutely nothing. I just want this time to pass.

Nothing bad lasts forever, and you never know, this might be the way to bigger and better things :smile: You can always apply to uni later but do try and focus on your A levels while you can. There is still Extra or Clearing?
For work experience, try and see if you have any family or friends with connections, but if that fails email people asking if you can shadow them.
Don't give up!! :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Finish your A Levels to the best of your ability now, you've come this far don't waste it, from then on research possible other routes, they're might be a great vocational course out there for you, and you can go to uni later on in life anyway if it turns out like something you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest