Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Female Rugby Player's Fight Back To Fitness ..

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Background
    I have 3 brothers so it was inevitable that I would never be the girliest of girls (although that doesnt mean I cant be .)
    Im 17 and studying Biology, PE, Psychology and Maths at college.
    I played rugby league from an early age with lads, and had to play a year up from U9s to U12s. I was tiny and skinny too, but really enjoyed it. When I was told I couldnt play with the lads anymore I thought that was the end of my rugby playing days as there were no womens teams near me.
    ... Until 2 and a half years ago when I was introduced to a womens Rugby Union team. Now I havent looked back and thanks to my knowledge from league I have represented my county and region twice, and was nominated for divisional trials this year which I unfortunately missed through injury. I have played a variety of backs positions - mainly outside centre this season but may be working towards fly half for next season.
    In October I suffered a bad sprain to my ankle in a match and took 5/6 months to recover! <-- this is the main reason for the blog

Aims
    I'm very happy with my body and any changes I plan to make are purely to help with my sport and to get that killer arse :ninja:
    The blog is going to include lifts and keep track of my achievements so I can look back and see how my lifestyle has changed.
    I am currently playing matches again but I still have a while to go to get my pre-season fitness back!

Feel free to offer advice as the blog progresses
    (i dont mind any silent stalkers )

Stats
    Height: 173cm
    Weight: 67kg
    BMI: 22.5
    Body Fat % (if I can get it measured):

Main Starting Lifts (I am a massive wimp)
    Squat: 12.5kg 5x5
    Deadlift: 22.5kg 3x5
    Bench Press: 12.5kg 3x5

Routine

day 1
    squat 5x5
    bench press 3x5
    Straight Leg Deadlift 3x8

day 2
    power clean 3x5
    Deadlift 3x5
    Tricep Dips 3x8

day 3
    OHP 3x5
    Squat 3x5
    Bentover Barbell row 3x8

Also occasionally attempt chin ups, pull ups, dips and press ups + core work + Rugby and cycling
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Training tonight ... A lot of contact work with the forwards, bad times when youre not exactly 'big'. Absolutely battered and bruised! Also all the girls moving up to u18s are forwards so that leaves me and 1 other back
    T+P pretty boring.

On a brighter note, the 5 mile uphill bike ride there must have done me some good, 5 miles of downhill back was more fun though

Time for a bath and some protein then an early night for college in the morning
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good. Welcome.

You really want to talk to Matt (Powerlifter) here. He's very helpful and a wealth of knowledge. He will probably ask you how much you are currently squatting, deadlifting and pressing. We always ask everyone that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Sounds good. Welcome.

You really want to talk to Matt (Powerlifter) here. He's very helpful and a wealth of knowledge. He will probably ask you how much you are currently squatting, deadlifting and pressing. We always ask everyone that.
    Thank you

I've been lurking a bit and noticed he knows what he's talking about, thanks for the advice
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    So... how much are you currently squatting, deadlifting and pressing?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to be able to tell you that, but I havent done any serious weight training yet, I did a bit over summer but cant remember. I dont have access to decent facilities really I'll let you know when I find out though
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does your gym have an Olympic barbell and plates?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think so, but because my frees are the 'sports frees' the weights area is always full. I normally just use the dumbells and work my core. I dont really have a set routine so I may look at organising one soon
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLightyear)
    Training tonight ... A lot of contact work with the forwards, bad times when youre not exactly 'big'. Absolutely battered and bruised! Also all the girls moving up to u18s are forwards so that leaves me and 1 other back
    T+P pretty boring.

On a brighter note, the 5 mile uphill bike ride there must have done me some good, 5 miles of downhill back was more fun though

Time for a bath and some protein then an early night for college in the morning
    I hate contact work too and i'm 'big'

What position you play?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    I think Matt would like helping out fellow rugby players.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    I hate contact work too and i'm 'big'

What position you play?
    Outside centre, possibly making a move to fly-half next season
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stick to outside centre, it's the best position.

Good luck with it, I returned last season after 3 years out and broke my arm last April too, so I've 'been there, done that' with the getting back to fitness and can sympathise.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Outside centre, possibly making a move to fly-half next season
    get used to taking contact then!

What is womens rugby like in comparison to the mens? (out of interest)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    get used to taking contact then!

What is womens rugby like in comparison to the mens? (out of interest)
    I know, thats why im trying to build up my strength

Id say its more backs based than forwards, and there's not as many 'big hits' to be honest. I prefer watching the mens but I still find womens good to watch. I think its more that once youve watched mens, womens seems a lot slower.

Still the same kill each other on the pitch, act like best mates off it style though
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know, thats why im trying to build up my strength

Id say its more backs based than forwards, and there's not as many 'big hits' to be honest. I prefer watching the mens but I still find womens good to watch. I think its more that once youve watched mens, womens seems a lot slower.

Still the same kill each other on the pitch, act like best mates off it style though
    Sounds like it would be fast then? As its more backs dominated. I love making the big hits though

You should think about playing 7s.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like it would be fast then? As its more backs dominated. I love making the big hits though

You should think about playing 7s.
    Yeah pretty fast.

We went down South (where the womens game is far more developed) last year for the National 7s and I enjoyed it, theres just not much opportunity.
    I know the PE assistant at college played 7s for Great Britain when she was at uni so I may try it then
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with it and hope you regain full fitness

I'm currently doing the same as you as I got injured last year (broke tibia and fibula) and have been recovering since. I put on quite a bit of weight too which I've now lost some of and hopefully I can be back closer to my ideal rugby weight by the time I go to university in September.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    Good luck with it and hope you regain full fitness

I'm currently doing the same as you as I got injured last year (broke tibia and fibula) and have been recovering since. I put on quite a bit of weight too which I've now lost some of and hopefully I can be back closer to my ideal rugby weight by the time I go to university in September.
    Thank you

That sounds pretty painful, good luck yourself.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I watch a fair bit of ladies rugby and know a fair few players, used to play in the 1st division myself.

Any questions about rugby in general or training for various things, explosive speed, powerful contact, stamina, speed etc just ask.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    outside centre, great position. how do you find union coming from a league background?

i went the other day, brought up with union, found league at uni.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.