Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Female Rugby Player's Fight Back To Fitness ..

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Well done on conquering your fear! I can really recommend doing lifesaving. The training is really fun and good exercise!
    Thanks, have you done it yourself? I just need to learn to swim without goggles, it's impossible for me to open my eyes under water!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLightyear)
    Thanks, have you done it yourself? I just need to learn to swim without goggles, it's impossible for me to open my eyes under water!
    I did loads of life saving qualifications when I was younger and swam a lot. Was much more fun swimming in your clothes than normal training :p: never worked as a lIfeguard or anything though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I did loads of life saving qualifications when I was younger and swam a lot. Was much more fun swimming in your clothes than normal training :p: never worked as a lIfeguard or anything though.
    Thats pretty cool. Im thinking it will be useful as a part time job to get me through uni, whilst doing something interesting rather than the usual bar work etc.

Although I may do my level 1 rugby coaching and try to do some work with that, tough decision!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not done much in terms of weights this week, I did a kettlebell workout Saturday, had a match Sunday, had North Training Monday, A rugby assessment for college and my first training session with a womens team yeaterday and have training tonight! Then hoping to go swimming and possibly get some weights done tomorrow and rest Friday. Saturday I travel down south and have a training session with the North squad and play South West on the Sunday, travelling back the same day.

So although I havent managed to fit weights in, I have had/have planned an intense week.

Was great to train with the womens team, they are pretty much the best in the area and have ~12 North Senior players, and a few either international or very close to it. So great training, and I may get the chance to play in a development squad game for them. Theyre also just a great bunch of girls so hopefully i'll sign for them next season.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not done much in terms of weights this week, I did a kettlebell workout Saturday, had a match Sunday, had North Training Monday, A rugby assessment for college and my first training session with a womens team yeaterday and have training tonight! Then hoping to go swimming and possibly get some weights done tomorrow and rest Friday. Saturday I travel down south and have a training session with the North squad and play South West on the Sunday, travelling back the same day.

So although I havent managed to fit weights in, I have had/have planned an intense week.

Was great to train with the womens team, they are pretty much the best in the area and have ~12 North Senior players, and a few either international or very close to it. So great training, and I may get the chance to play in a development squad game for them. Theyre also just a great bunch of girls so hopefully i'll sign for them next season.
    I'm gonna take a stab at the club... either the Sharks or Waterloo?

Glad you enjoyed the women's training. It's a big step up - gotta get used to the pace of the game! The one thing I noticed is that (especially for fly halves/inside backs) decisions need to be made quicker and under more pressure.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    I'm gonna take a stab at the club... either the Sharks or Waterloo?

Glad you enjoyed the women's training. It's a big step up - gotta get used to the pace of the game! The one thing I noticed is that (especially for fly halves/inside backs) decisions need to be made quicker and under more pressure.
    Waterloo, good guess

Luckily I'm usually quite quick at making decisions, of course at a lesser intensity, so we'll see. Im hoping the development games will help me get used to it before next season.

It's amazing that in the first 20 minutes of the session I felt like I'd done more than in my usual hour and haf session! The coaching seems a very high standard too, so hopefully that'll be an advantage in me getting used tothe change in standards
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Waterloo, good guess

Luckily I'm usually quite quick at making decisions, of course at a lesser intensity, so we'll see. Im hoping the development games will help me get used to it before next season.

It's amazing that in the first 20 minutes of the session I felt like I'd done more than in my usual hour and haf session! The coaching seems a very high standard too, so hopefully that'll be an advantage in me getting used tothe change in standards
    Everything does seem to happen faster. Even at training - you move from one drill to another v v quickly. It's great stuff, and designed to get you training at game intensity.

Waterloo's a good club. Good buddy of mine goes there (you coudn't possibly miss her - scrum half/fly half).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Everything does seem to happen faster. Even at training - you move from one drill to another v v quickly. It's great stuff, and designed to get you training at game intensity.

Waterloo's a good club. Good buddy of mine goes there (you coudn't possibly miss her - scrum half/fly half).
    Trying to think who you mean, I know one fly half and one scrum half, but not sure whether either play the other positon, although they may do.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    okay, so the last week ...

Saturday - travelled down to rugby on the coach, was meant to have a 2 hour training session when we got there but the venue pulled out, so just food, relax and bed.

Sunday - played against South West, lost 29-5 but it was a lot closer than the score suggests. They were really physical so I felt it on monday.

Monday - rest

Tuesday - Trained with the womens team, wasnt too intense, mainly running through moves

Wednesday - Training. Rubbish session. Everyone was messing about, not putting the effort in and every time I tried to up the intensity or advise people it just didnt happen. Made me appreciate how good the training I get on a Tuesday is even more!

Thursday - plan was to go swimming but pool was shut. Did kettlebell workout

Friday - Circuit

Saturday - rest

Today - Played a match, no idea why this team are in the north league, it was in shropshire! Played 7s due to players not being committed. There were 6 fully fit players and one injured one that could barely run but offered to play so we dont have to concede and throw the league away, so a lot of running was done.
    The heat didnt help, and, as always, I was the idiot that got sunburned!

Divisional festival this weekend, should be good!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    OHP --> 22.5kg 3x5

Squat --> 40kg 3x5

Deadlift --> 50kg 1x5

Reckon I could have got higher on deadlift if I remembered to breath!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Been another busy week for me!

Monday - weights
    Tuesday - senior training
    Wednesday - U18s training

I've finally got in bed after a tough game of rugby! Played my first senior match, and scored the first try of the game the intensity was unreal compared to usual U18s matches. Didn't play the full game, but tbh I'm just glad they let me play at all!
    Learnt my pint downing isn't up to scratch though, I was an embarrassment!

Tomorrow will be a rest day then divisional festival at the weekend!

Feel bad for not being consistent with weight training, but I'm struggling to fit it in between college work and training! Going to have to sort a plan for that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Finally in the comfort of my own bed!

Yesterday I was up at 6 (who knew there were two six o'clocks in a day? ) to get the coach down south for the weekend.
    Had a team run through as soon as we arrived working on distance passing and decision making so this was perfect training session for me!
    After food all 4 divisions were split into forwards and backs, then we were mixed up so we weren't just with North and we did 2 skills sessions. These were really helpful and run by the odd England player.

After they were done we finished for the day training wise and watched the U15s before playing a few games to keep us entertained. Gotta say, after playing wink murder it became apparent that no one in our squad can die convincingly (some of the noises were disturbing.

Best game was manhunt, after both teams had been caught we went inside chatting for about 20 minutes and were just about to go for tea when one of the coaches gets a phone call from one of the players asking if we were still playing because she's been sat in a bush for ages! Can't believe none of us noticed she was missing!

Anyway, the legendary Maggie Alphonsi gave a presentation about careers and how to balance rugby with them, which was really useful. The it was just relax in the common room then bed.

Our kick off was 11 today, so after breakfast we went up to a classroom to prepare. The coaches decided to announce the team by getting a player up who then has to tell the rest of the team why this player deserves their shirt, and then hand it to them. Thought this was a great way to get everyone's confidence up. We then had half an hour of downtime so one of the girls brought her speakers in and we just all fully relaxed and had a laugh.

In the changing rooms we were blasting music and everyone was so focused and up for it, it was unreal!

So, North vs London South East. Everyone expected LSE to win. Every single North player stepped up their game and we dominated them first half, 15-0 at half time. Unfortunately we relaxed a bit too much in the second half and let a try in in the first few minutes, but we recovered, and made sure we showed the southerners that we werent just there to make up numbers! Won 22-14. It was an awesome feeling, so much adrenaline rushing through me at the end, we were all battered and bruised but the fact that we had won just took over!

Absolutely amazing weekend and result!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your win!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.