The Student Room Group

Introduction - coursework

I'm writing up a coastal investigation and although I'm not stuck, I have a feeling of insufficiency. There is a word limit for this coursework, and I'm trying to stick to it but can't help feeling I am meant to write more. I always have this problem with courseworks (word limits or not). I always seem to dive straight into the theory, methodology, data representation and analysis, without any real thorough introduction. I would be very glad if someone could give me in bullet form the main contents of a standard introduction. Thanks alot, sorry if any of this is unclear.
Reply 1
Just to let you know, I am about to start my AS coursework for EDEXCEL B Geography on Suburbanisation, and you can only get 6/15 marks for the quality of written communication section of the mark scheme.

As for an introduction...I would keep it fairly brief. The tendency would be, for me anyway, to write excessive amounts introducing and talking about the area i'm investigating. Try and keep it concise. Maybe, instead of writing about the area you are studying, you could introduce the investigation with maps and text boxes - as far as i'm aware text boxes and table format writing does not go towards the wordcount.

Introduction:
a) Introduce the question (talking about area of investigation also)
b) Do some key questions that will help answer the main investigation.
c) Details of the area and include an annotated map.

These Introduction Guidelines are suggested by an exam board so are worth following.
Hope this helps a bit.

Latest

Trending

Trending