The Student Room Group

Cardiff Uni or KCL ? (physics)

I have no clue which one i should make my firm.
By the way i live in cardiff.

Any suggestions . . . .
Reply 1
Original post by williaint
I have no clue which one i should make my firm.
By the way i live in cardiff.

Any suggestions . . . .

Have you visited Kings, if not then go as soon as you can. Think about if you want to move away from home or would you rather be nearby? Look at the course content, this can differ wildly.
Reply 2
It definitely helps to know what course you are wanting to do...
Subject?

I think most people will be inclined to say King's, better reputation, chances are it'll be better in the course that you've chosen, better career prospects. If you're a city kind of person then you'll really enjoy London.

The one disadvantage I can think of is the relatively high cost in London but that's for you to decide.
Reply 4
KCL has more prestige, hands down.

However, the real question is where you'll be happy. Don't go on reputation alone
Reply 5
Original post by Panda Vinnie

If you're a city kind of person then you'll really enjoy London.

You clearly haven't seen Cardiff.
Reply 6
Original post by Panda Vinnie
Subject?

I think most people will be inclined to say King's, better reputation, chances are it'll be better in the course that you've chosen, better career prospects. If you're a city kind of person then you'll really enjoy London.

Chances are that it probably won't. They are both muchness, to be honest, still with significant variations department by department. But I certainly don't see King's as being more likely to have better departments.

Original post by fibrebiz
You clearly haven't seen Cardiff.

Are you suggesting the OP isn't a city person, as Cardiff is small?

Cardiff, albeit a relatively new capital, is still a major city. Its city centre is compact but I wouldn't say compact = small. Newcastle is another example of a compact city centre, but still the centre of a large conurbation, with the facilities and infrastructure of a major city.

Not to say that London isn't on a different scale and that there isn't a difference between living in the outer suburbs of Cardiff (if that is where the OP resides), and living in the centre of London.
Reply 7
SORRY GUYS I FORGOT TO PUT THE SUBJECT. . . .its for PHYSICS.

I dont think I like the fast life in London. But the only reason i would like to go Kings is cos of rep.
But then Cardiff is good city, not so big and just calm compared to London if you know what i mean.
Reply 8
Original post by River85
Are you suggesting the OP isn't a city person, as Cardiff is small?

Cardiff, albeit a relatively new capital, is still a major city. Its city centre is compact but I wouldn't say compact = small. Newcastle is another example of a compact city centre, but still the centre of a large conurbation, with the facilities and infrastructure of a major city.

Not to say that London isn't on a different scale and that there isn't a difference between living in the outer suburbs of Cardiff (if that is where the OP resides), and living in the centre of London.

No, I meant that Cardiff is fantastic for city people. I went to Cardiff on an open day and it's almost unreal how close the Uni is to the city centre, 'specially for the sciences, which are in the main building, just outside the SU (which is epic, by anyone's standards)

Sure London's bigger, but Cardiff is as you say, quite compact which gives even more of a city atmosphere in my opinion.
Reply 9
I'm studying physics at Cardiff and absolutely love it. Seriously, seriously good city for student life. (@ above; physics building isn't actually just outside the SU - that's chemistry. Physics is a a little way from the union - only about 5 minutes though) I've spent a fair bit of time in london aswell and I personally much prefer Cardiff. Can't really comment on the uni's, so that's just based on the cities. Cardiff just has a better atmosphere imo.

The Cardiff physics department is generally pretty good too.

And... If you come this year; guarantee you some good socials haha, me and my friend are organising them.
Reply 10
Original post by danzino
I'm studying physics at Cardiff and absolutely love it. Seriously, seriously good city for student life. (@ above; physics building isn't actually just outside the SU - that's chemistry. Physics is a a little way from the union - only about 5 minutes though) I've spent a fair bit of time in london aswell and I personally much prefer Cardiff. Can't really comment on the uni's, so that's just based on the cities. Cardiff just has a better atmosphere imo.

The Cardiff physics department is generally pretty good too.

And... If you come this year; guarantee you some good socials haha, me and my friend are organising them.

I see, yeah I live in cardiff too but wanted to move to london, but i've made my mind now and i will stay in cardiff.

Can you comment on the accomodation, i mean is it good are the people friendly?
Reply 11
KCL

Quick Reply