The Student Room Group

A90 Slip Road Accident

Scroll to see replies

to add to this look at this photo:

its actually almost 1/2 mile from the slip road. Note the 2 clearly visible end of dual carriage way and two way road signs ive circled that wernt so clear on the pictures above.

shes also gone past several arrows in the lanes.

Even if she did not see any oncoming traffic during that journey, shed have to have been asleep to screw that up.
Reply 21
Original post by warrenpenalver
to add to this look at this photo:

its actually almost 1/2 mile from the slip road. Note the 2 clearly visible end of dual carriage way and two way road signs ive circled that wernt so clear on the pictures above.

shes also gone past several arrows in the lanes.

Even if she did not see any oncoming traffic during that journey, shed have to have been asleep to screw that up.

These are my thoughts too. Yes, the signage may be poor, but that doesn't excuse the terrible driving on her part. I would imagine that at some point there would be a green/blue board with the junction itself on it, which would be pretty hard to miss if it was there. It also begs the question, if she hadn't done it before, how did she know where she was meant to be going? Was she following a Sat-Nav? If this was the case then she's even more stupid than first thought. Was she doing a route her parents had done many times with her in the car, just she simply wasn't paying attention? If this is the case then she's also stupid. If she was following a map, surely she'd realise that she needed to go left rather than right (that said, what teenage girl knows how to/reads a map these days anyway? :rolleyes:) Either way it's a shocking bit of driving and I think she owes the lorry driver a letter of apology and thanks for having the quick reactions that saved her life.

On PistonHeads someone's saying they go to school with her and she was complaining about a broken nail the next day, totally oblivious to the upwards of half a million pounds worth of damage she's caused. With that in mind, I doubt the lorry driver will be getting any sort of apology or thanks from the self centred little brat :angry:
Reply 22
Yeh, I agree the driving was piss poor and dangerous, I was just saying there might be more to it than meets the eye.

And since when did I become a forum assistant!?
Reply 23
Interesting read on Piston Head forum apparently she was 17, driving two weeks and crashed into a bmw after her first week!

Not massively well sign posted and arrows on the road aren't always as well painted as google maps show. Part of me thinks surely it must have felt 'wrong' to be bending right approaching a dual carriageway, surely as she was coming round the road she must have seen it join onto another road, and if she followed it she'd be driving on the RH side = wrong? I mean I know you don't have chance for all that to go through your head but she must have known it was wrong before she saw the lorry.
the nail in the coffin IMO is she clearly missed 2 clear signs of end of dual carriageway and two way road. These are both signs she would have learned as part of her theory, let alone likely encountered in learning and possibly her test, so no excuses IMO.
Reply 25
Original post by warrenpenalver
the nail in the coffin IMO is she clearly missed 2 clear signs of end of dual carriageway and two way road. These are both signs she would have learned as part of her theory, let alone likely encountered in learning and possibly her test, so no excuses IMO.
When do learners actually learn anything from theory? This forum is full of threads asking where they can memorise answers, but they wouldn't know what to do with a real sign if it smacked them in the face.

As for road markings.. a lot of learners don't learn what they mean or how to actually respond to them; they ask their instructor - and posters on here - to show them test routes so they can pass easier and quickly with minimum lessons - not to mention actual ability.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by gbduo
When I went to Scotland I was met with this:

Damn fine road that was! Good signage, haha!

Looking at that road on google street view, I have to say it looks like one of the most epic drives in the country.
Reply 27
Original post by Lack of Creativity
Looking at that road on google street view, I have to say it looks like one of the most epic drives in the country.

Haha, it is brilliant, well worth the trip! It is busy during the summer but if you get a good time it is a great fun. The road has a good surface as well considering how high it gets. The view at the top is utterly breathtaking. Really worth going!
Reply 28
Original post by gbduo
Haha, it is brilliant, well worth the trip! It is busy during the summer but if you get a good time it is a great fun. The road has a good surface as well considering how high it gets. The view at the top is utterly breathtaking. Really worth going!

Will have to look into it for my next road trip. *googles*
Original post by Advisor
When do learners actually learn anything from theory? This forum is full of threads asking where they can memorise answers, but they wouldn't know what to do with a real sign if it smacked them in the face.

As for road markings.. a lot of learners don't learn what they mean or how to actually respond to them; they ask their instructor - and posters on here - to show them test routes so they can pass easier and quickly with minimum lessons - not to mention actual ability.

her stupidity doesnt remove her responsibility to know those signs and read the road so its still dangerous driving on her part

but yes you raise a valid point about the problems with the current learner driver system which needs to be reviewed and made much much harder if we are to improve general driving standards.
Reply 30
I think the major problem with the current driving test is the complete lack of any fast road driving, at all. You may not be taught how to use a motorway or major road, how to use slip roads, change lanes, anticipation etc. Its crazy given how quick things can go wrong on a motorway!
Reply 31
Original post by gbduo
I think the major problem with the current driving test is the complete lack of any fast road driving, at all. You may not be taught how to use a motorway or major road, how to use slip roads, change lanes, anticipation etc. Its crazy given how quick things can go wrong on a motorway!

I learned on a dual carriageway, and part of my test was on it. So I had plenty of experience with slip roads. I think most people do some of their learning on a dual carriageway.

You're not allowed on motorways, full stop. Given that my local motorways are pretty much dual carriageways with a hard shoulder, it was a pretty pointless distinction.
Reply 32
They really should make all driving test to be a drive from London to Oxford.

Too damn many idiots who drive in London coming from elsewhere that don't seem to know how to drive properly.
Reply 33
Original post by NeoNerd
I learned on a dual carriageway, and part of my test was on it. So I had plenty of experience with slip roads. I think most people do some of their learning on a dual carriageway.

You're not allowed on motorways, full stop. Given that my local motorways are pretty much dual carriageways with a hard shoulder, it was a pretty pointless distinction.

Yes I know, there are of course exceptions, hence in my OP, the "you may not be taught" rather than "you are not taught"

I'm saying that if you have a approved instructor sat next to you, there should be much more emphasis on how to drive up and down motorways safely. The amount of near misses on motorways and dual carriageways from young drivers is truly horrifying. Some training would go a long way to stopping this rather than focussing on city driver, like most test centres.
Reply 34
Original post by Iorek
They really should make all driving test to be a drive from London to Oxford.

Too damn many idiots who drive in London coming from elsewhere that don't seem to know how to drive properly.

Yeh, driving in London is a nightmare at the best of the times, worse if you have never done it before!
Reply 35
Where I lived doesn't have a motorway through the whole county at all I don't think. One partly passes through the top I think though. Don't really have any dual carriageways round there to go on before test either.

That same county has one of the worst UK road accident records I believe too. Go Lincolnshire.

So many boy racers round there end up in dykes its unreal. You really learn how to drive well on country roads. As a result I also think its important before test that instructors try to take pupils on country roads which are a 60 limit but you really shouldn't drive at 60 on. Round here lots of people only go on the 'proper roads' and have no concept of how to drive down teeny little lanes and steer round tight corners.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Tinsley
Where I lived doesn't have a motorway through the whole county at all I don't think. One partly passes through the top I think though. Don't really have any dual carriageways round there to go on before test either.

That same county has one of the worst UK road accident records I believe too. Go Lincolnshire.

So many boy racers round there end up in dykes its unreal. You really learn how to drive well on country roads. As a result I also think its important before test that instructors try to take pupils on country roads which are a 60 limit but you really shouldn't drive at 60 on. Round here lots of people only go on the 'proper roads' and have no concept of how to drive down teeny little lanes and steer round tight corners.

I totally, whole heartedly agree. :smile:
Reply 37
Looking at the bottom of the video there's what looks like accelerometer data, which shows a couple more big spikes well after the accident - I guess the truck must have been hit again. I also can't help thinking it's very lucky it wasn't raining - wouldn't fancy trying to clear up all that cement!
Reply 38
Doesn't look like it from the aftermath vids, it could be the load moving around in the back I guess, or the lorry going back onto its wheels again?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending