The Student Room Group

what should i do? (medicine all rejections)

i got A*AB (Maths,Chem,Physics: 1 mark off)

4A*s:Maths,Chem,R.e,Physics

3As: English Lit, Lan, Spanish

4Bs:I.T,I.T full,Business studies,Biology

1 yr hospital volunteering,6 months care home, taste of medicine course,football for school team,Christies hospital w/e with proffesor of oncology,passed O.U course molecules medicine and drugs,NHS scheme,ect...

i didnt take bio for A2 which killed my appl dramatically:
603 ukcat
keele intw rejection aft intw ( i didnt have a great time through yr 9,10,11 and wasnt very happy(friend betrayal) but i am much better socially now after i changed to college with a lack of chavs)
Soton waiting list (happened to be fake)
leeds rejection
Glasgow ''''

universites went up to 3A's suddenly which further killed my appl:
2011:
ukcat:575
Bristol-no intw
Abdn-no intw
Soton-not even waiting list

I dont know what do-should i just go for gem.I know its more competitive but if i had an intw this year i would definitaley have got in because of the number of job intws ive been to.
I DONT WANT TO TAKE ANOTHER DULL GAP YR (tuiton fees and eternal boredom)

edit:go on neg rep me,
its not like im depressed or anything
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
please only post if your going to help,it took me ages to write all that lol :smile:
Have you applied for one of those pre-med year thingys? I don't know much about medicine so I'm sorry for posting! But anyone I know who hasn't got into med either does a degree similiar with lots of chemistry in it and applies as post grad or applied to a uni with a premed year first or something. :dontknow:

I'm really sorry for not helping much! I really hope your situation is resolved!! x
Reply 3
Original post by ipulledhermione
Have you applied for one of those pre-med year thingys? I don't know much about medicine so I'm sorry for posting! But anyone I know who hasn't got into med either does a degree similiar with lots of chemistry in it and applies as post grad or applied to a uni with a premed year first or something. :dontknow:

I'm really sorry for not helping much! I really hope your situation is resolved!! x

thanks i cant do pre-med because i did science modules...
theres quite a few people in my school with the same issue...
one of the guys who has been rejected by all 4 is now applying to dubai however some people applied to another univerity as a 5th choice which wasnt medicine but courses such a biomed engineering or a course that is similar....if u applied for a 5th choice i guess u could go to that as well....
sorry im not much help but thats what people in my school are doing especially as taking a gap year would also mean they pay higher fees next year....
You're a perfect candidate!!!!, I would recommend you take a 1 year intensive A-level biology coarse and get at least a grade A, a lot of colleges do it, you can find a list of them on Google (I know Abbeys College offers this). If moneys an issue, purchase the appropriate books and enter yourself via private candidate, or alternatively you can get companies that do all the hard work for you (although they are a tiny bit expensive), but it's worth it because the whole private candidate process is a nightmare, I recommend you check this: (http://www.icslearn.co.uk/gcse-A-level/a-level/a-level-biology/), for private candidate entry.

Never give up. :smile:
Original post by alia
i got A*AB (Maths,Chem,Physics: 1 mark off)

4A*s:Maths,Chem,R.e,Physics

3As: English Lit, Lan, Spanish

4Bs:I.T,I.T full,Business studies,Biology

1 yr hospital volunteering,6 months care home, taste of medicine course,football for school team,Christies hospital w/e with proffesor of oncology,passed O.U course molecules medicine and drugs,NHS scheme,ect...

i didnt take bio for A2 which killed my appl dramatically:
603 ukcat
keele intw rejection aft intw ( i didnt have a great time through yr 9,10,11 and wasnt very happy(friend betrayal) but i am much better socially now after i changed to college with a lack of chavs)
Soton waiting list (happened to be fake)
leeds rejection
Glasgow ''''

universites went up to 3A's suddenly which further killed my appl:
2011:
ukcat:575
Bristol-no intw
Abdn-no intw
Soton-not even waiting list

I dont know what do-should i just go for gem.I know its more competitive but if i had an intw this year i would definitaley have got in because of the number of job intws ive been to.
I DONT WANT TO TAKE ANOTHER DULL GAP YR (tuiton fees and eternal boredom)

If I were you, I'd have a good hard look at science/engineering degrees. If you find one that you are interested in, and one which you could use in a future career, then apply for that.

Over the years you will develop your career ideas and if you realise that medicine is the only thing for you then go for GEM or apply for 5 year courses as a graduate. If you don't then hopefully you will have a good degree under your belt to do whatever you want :smile:
Reply 7
Your application is perfect except one thing. !!!THE UKCAT!!!! I don't want to sound harsh but with that UKCAT score you are going no where. If you want any chance of being considered (Even if you have all As and have been working in an operation room and wards for the last 10 years) you MUST do well in your UKCAT! They say 600 is average but thats just a dream :smile: Realistically speaking if you want to do medicine you have to get a UKCAT score of about 650 and above (even that is pushing it and depends on the Uni).

If you really want to do medicine, then do a BSc in a Biology field, and apply after three years to GEM. Yes it is tough but as I said if you get a First and do well in your UKCAT, theres a good chance! But as I mentioned so many times UKCAT UKCAT UKCAT!!!!

Good luck
Reply 8
I strongly recommend a pre med year ..... for instance ther one at Lancaster university guarantees all the pre meds and interview, so if you pass the course and are really as ace as you say you are at interview then it should work well for you.
Original post by karaduman
Your application is perfect except one thing. !!!THE UKCAT!!!! I don't want to sound harsh but with that UKCAT score you are going no where. If you want any chance of being considered (Even if you have all As and have been working in an operation room and wards for the last 10 years) you MUST do well in your UKCAT! They say 600 is average but thats just a dream :smile: Realistically speaking if you want to do medicine you have to get a UKCAT score of about 650 and above (even that is pushing it and depends on the Uni).

If you really want to do medicine, then do a BSc in a Biology field, and apply after three years to GEM. Yes it is tough but as I said if you get a First and do well in your UKCAT, theres a good chance! But as I mentioned so many times UKCAT UKCAT UKCAT!!!!

Good luck

For GEM perhaps. For undergraduate 5 year entry you do not need anything like that. Out of my group of friends at uni, I had the highest score at 662.5. One guy has 520.

You're right that a low UKCAT will significantly reduce the number of unis you can apply to, but it does not mean it is impossible.
Reply 10
Original post by iPthreefifthteen
You're a perfect candidate!!!!, I would recommend you take a 1 year intensive A-level biology coarse and get at least a grade A, a lot of colleges do it, you can find a list of them on Google (I know Abbeys College offers this). If moneys an issue, purchase the appropriate books and enter yourself via private candidate, or alternatively you can get companies that do all the hard work for you (although they are a tiny bit expensive), but it's worth it because the whole private candidate process is a nightmare, I recommend you check this: (http://www.icslearn.co.uk/gcse-A-level/a-level/a-level-biology/), for private candidate entry.

Never give up. :smile:

i make really bad decisions in life- iwas encouraged to do bio on my gap yr but i was a bit lazy and applied without it to universities that didnt need it....i think its too late now
Reply 11
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
For GEM perhaps. For undergraduate 5 year entry you do not need anything like that. Out of my group of friends at uni, I had the highest score at 662.5. One guy has 520.

You're right that a low UKCAT will significantly reduce the number of unis you can apply to, but it does not mean it is impossible.

i applied to abdn with 575 and they rejected me so clearly not.
You should either rethink doing medicine (bio science or similar an option) or get a biology A*

What were you thinking not doing biology when that is the basis of medicine?
Reply 13
Original post by HistoryRepeating
You should either rethink doing medicine (bio science or similar an option) or get a biology A*

What were you thinking not doing biology when that is the basis of medicine?

i changed college and i never initially wanted to do medicine
Original post by alia
i changed college and i never initially wanted to do medicine

In that case fair enough, although taking a gap year and not doing it then seems a bit rash.

Strongly consider doing something else - you are going to continue to struggle with med, unfortunately.
Reply 15
Original post by HistoryRepeating
In that case fair enough, although taking a gap year and not doing it then seems a bit rash.

Strongly consider doing something else - you are going to continue to struggle with med, unfortunately.

with my whole life ive always been on the edge....nearly there but still 1 mark off or 1 thing away...
Original post by alia

And I assume the rest of your application was perfect and there was absolutely nothing they could have rejected you for other than the UKCAT:rolleyes:

Edit: Anyway, advice for you is that it doesn't look like it's happening at the moment. More and more medical schools are going up to AAA so it's going to be harder to get in with a reapplication. Your best bet is probably to cut your losses and look at another degree you're interested in. If you're still certain that medicine is the only thing for you then apply to GEM after graduation, but chances are that 3 years in another science degree will have inspired you to do something else.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Rob da Mop
And I assume the rest of your application was perfect and there was absolutely nothing they could have rejected you for other than the UKCAT:rolleyes:

well i exceeded their req in everything else and redrafted my ps 46 times -i dont think its my ps but lets see what the feedback says :frown:
Original post by alia

If I were you I would go and find something in UCAS extra- there are many top universities with courses in there for Biomed/Biochem etc. Realistically, it's not worth the hassle of taking another year off to reapply- if you were unsuccessful again, you'd end up paying the 9k fees.
Reply 19
Original post by kbountra
If I were you I would go and find something in UCAS extra- there are many top universities with courses in there for Biomed/Biochem etc. Realistically, it's not worth the hassle of taking another year off to reapply- if you were unsuccessful again, you'd end up paying the 9k fees.

isnt 9k fees for next yr anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest