The Student Room Group

Access courses under threat, help needed.

Scroll to see replies

No probs wizardtop, I re-read what I typed a bit earlier and realised it could have been taken in a different way to that intended :smile:
Original post by Heinz the German
No probs wizardtop, I re-read what I typed a bit earlier and realised it could have been taken in a different way to that intended :smile:

no problems Heinz the German :smile:
Reply 22
any chance of keeping this thread going so when any one finds out they can just drop a little line for everyone else :biggrin:
Reply 23
Just to add my two-penneth:

I have very little knowledge of the funding for Access courses, as it is currently or as it is being proposed for the future, but I do want to say that Access is not the only route into higher education for mature students.

I've applied this year with 120 Open University credits; 60 from a level one course (year one at a traditional uni) and 60 from a level two (year two at a traditional uni). Both of these courses were funded in full as my income has been below the threshold (which is approximately £16500 I believe) and I have also received a course grant of £265 for each course.

I applied to King's College London, Sheffield, Leicester, Queen Mary University of London, and UWE. The only rejection I received was from King's, and that was after I was interviewed - English is a competitive course and ultimately I feel this was as a result of my performance on the day. My best friend applied for Social Work this year with 120 Open University credits, and was accepted at her first choice, Bath.

The point I want to make is that it is possible to gain entry onto competitive courses at good unis with Open University credits and if you qualify, which a surprising number of potential students do, you needn't have to pay a penny for the courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending