The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by student777
*subscribes* :smile:

I haven't started my revision for this yet, am concentrating more on my chemistry. I actually really like this unit though, it's a lot better than the last one :biggrin:

Yeah. Definitely better than Unit 4. Although I am resitting Unit 4 :frown:
How did you do in Unit 4?
Original post by INeedToRevise
Yeah. Definitely better than Unit 4. Although I am resitting Unit 4 :frown:
How did you do in Unit 4?

Erm... I didn't like the unit content, but I found the questions alright, which meant by some fluke I got 100 UMS xD Takes the pressure off this exam at least! And makes up for my terrible ISAs :colondollar: How about you?
Erm... I didn't like the unit content, but I found the questions alright, which meant by some fluke I got 100 UMS xD Takes the pressure off this exam at least! And makes up for my terrible ISAs :colondollar: How about you?

Wow. Thats crazy :smile: Well done!

Can I ask how you prepared for Unit 4? Did you use the Nelson Thornes book?
I'm struggling to get a C and I need at least a B at the end of this year.
I learn all the content, but its pretty much irrelevant in the exam. I just cannot answer the application questions tbh.
(edited 13 years ago)
Wow. Thats crazy :smile: Well done!

Can I ask how you prepared for Unit 4? Did you use the Nelson Thornes book?
I'm struggling to get a C and I need at least a B at the end of this year.
I learn all the content, but its pretty much irrelevant in the exam. I just cannot answer the application questions tbh.

Thanks :smile: I made notes from the NT book, and copied out stuff that I found difficult over and over again. For me, that was the biochemistry section. I'm quite a visual learner, so I used colours, made posters etc. I also made revision cards on definitions- they're easy marks if you get them right. Then I did past questions and the exam questions in the book.

But you might learn differently, for a lot of people just copying the textbook isn't enough. People learn in different ways, and you have to find your style :cool:

I know what you mean though, just knowing the topics isn't enough. I'm not really sure how you can revise the application questions, bar just doing lots of past questions- that way you get an idea of what they're looking for. I also tended to make the answers quite complicated, when sometimes they were looking for the obvious stuff.
Thanks :smile: I made notes from the NT book, and copied out stuff that I found difficult over and over again. For me, that was the biochemistry section. I'm quite a visual learner, so I used colours, made posters etc. I also made revision cards on definitions- they're easy marks if you get them right. Then I did past questions and the exam questions in the book.

But you might learn differently, for a lot of people just copying the textbook isn't enough. People learn in different ways, and you have to find your style :cool:

I know what you mean though, just knowing the topics isn't enough. I'm not really sure how you can revise the application questions, bar just doing lots of past questions- that way you get an idea of what they're looking for. I also tended to make the answers quite complicated, when sometimes they were looking for the obvious stuff.

Thanks for that :smile: I think I'm just going to revise the content again, and then do loads and loads of past paper questions. So annoying having to do this one again :frown: Especially with Unit 5 as well.
I've started revising, even though the exam isn't until late June :biggrin: It promises to be a beast of an exam, especially with the mammoth essay at the end.

One thing I want to check about the essay: apparently you get up to 4 marks for saying stuff that's extra to the syllabus? Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, does anyone have examples of what we could say for an essay that isn't covered by the spec.?
Original post by Seasick Steve
I've started revising, even though the exam isn't until late June :biggrin: It promises to be a beast of an exam, especially with the mammoth essay at the end.

One thing I want to check about the essay: apparently you get up to 4 marks for saying stuff that's extra to the syllabus? Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, does anyone have examples of what we could say for an essay that isn't covered by the spec.?

Yea its true. We've been told to read articles (Biological sciences review etc.)
Reply 87
I am in a very similar position as i think you can learn the whole course fact perfect but you must do past paper questions. For me it just helps me think around the question and read into it and understand what is the right thing to write and what isn't related to the question at all.
Does oestrogen inhibit the release of LH as well as FSH?
I thought it stimulates LH production.
Reply 89
Does oestrogen inhibit the release of LH as well as FSH?
I thought it stimulates LH production.

Low oestrogen levels inhibit LH and FSH production
High oestrogen levels stimulate FSH and Lh production
So depressed that my school refused to let any yr13 take January modules this year...so I've got Unit 4 and 5 this June :frown: So not only do I have to do Ecology (stupid stupid topic) but I have to study for that essay too...and unit 4 and 5 chemistry on top of my other 2 A Levels!!!
Original post by Calimboness
So depressed that my school refused to let any yr13 take January modules this year...so I've got Unit 4 and 5 this June :frown: So not only do I have to do Ecology (stupid stupid topic) but I have to study for that essay too...and unit 4 and 5 chemistry on top of my other 2 A Levels!!!

Same.
Reply 92
^ same, i have both biol4 and biol5 in june as i never did biol4 in january! i have a total of 11 exams... going to be tough!!!
Original post by cobra2k10
^ same, i have both biol4 and biol5 in june as i never did biol4 in january! i have a total of 11 exams... going to be tough!!!

A bit off the topic..

Is any ATP produced in link reaction?!

CGP > NO ATP is produced int this reaction

But 2 NADH= 2* 2.5= 5 ATP!!?
Reply 94
Hi

Depends how you look at it.

No ATP is produced as a direct result ( ie at substrate level as in glycolysis ) but reduced NAD is formed which is then used in oxidative phosphorylation to produce ATP

Hope this helps

DB
Reply 95
hey everyone
for revision instead writing out all the essays ive made a plan for every title theres been in the past
would you suggest i practice writing out the essays as well
i have just finished revising all of unit 1 and unit 2 synoptic

need over 100 in unit 5 for an A! :frown:
****ting myself about this exam. our teacher is practically non existant :frown:
Reply 97
does anyone have the paper for januray 2011 BIOL4
thanks
Reply 98
Thank you so much guys :d
Reply 99
so no jan 2011 paper?, but there would be a JUNE 2010 paper as well as the specimen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending