The Student Room Group

Finance for nursing courses.

Hi everyone,

I'm starting a nursing course this coming september, I was just wondering if any one knew what type of loans student nurses are entitled too. I am aware that I will be able to apply for an income assesed NHS bursary, but I was wondering if I could also apply for a maintenence grant and a standard student loan to help with living costs.

Any information would be much appreciated. :smile:

Lauren x
Reply 1
You can apply for a student loan, the grant isnt usually applicable due to the fact you get a bursary.
Original post by Lauren-Taylor7
Hi everyone,

I'm starting a nursing course this coming september, I was just wondering if any one knew what type of loans student nurses are entitled too. I am aware that I will be able to apply for an income assesed NHS bursary, but I was wondering if I could also apply for a maintenence grant and a standard student loan to help with living costs.

Any information would be much appreciated. :smile:

Lauren x

Are you going to study in England or Wales? Are you doing diploma or degree?

Your entitlement depends on these factors,
Oh, sorry for the lack of detail. I'm studying at degree level in England.
I've found some information on student finance but thanks anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by Lauren-Taylor7
Oh, sorry for the lack of detail. I'm studying at degree level in England.
I've found some information on student finance but thanks anyway.

You'll get the basic student loan of £2324, your tuition fee paid for by the NHS and you can also apply for the means tested NHS bursary. Your uni will forward your details to the NHS who in turn will send you your reference number with which you will need to apply. Your SLC ML 1st term instalment will be paid the first week of uni (usually) and the NHS bursary (1st month) will be paid about 2 weeks into your course.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by glf2110
You'll get the basic student loan of £2324, your tuition fee paid for by the NHS and you can also apply for the means tested NHS bursary. Your uni will forward your details to the NHS who in turn will send you your reference number with which you will need to apply. Your SLC ML 1st term instalment will be paid the first week of uni (usually) and the NHS bursary (1st month) will be paid about 2 weeks into your course.
Hope this helps :smile:

Thankyou for the information. It's helped me a lot, I don't feel as anxious about the whole finance situation now x

Quick Reply

Latest