The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Well, this is for all you Medic applicants who have decided/are considering applying/reapplying to the:

BM6- 6 year foundation Medicine course at Southampton for 2012 entry.

Just for general discussion, help, advice, support, questions ect..

Last years thread was pretty emotional and became like a family so feel free to ask anything..

:^_^:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nice one!! its great that u made this thread :smile: x
its great to see this.....will probably lurk close to applying time to help anyone who needs it
Reply 3
I am also reapplying got three b at at alevels but should I enrol on a degree or take a second gap year advice anybody ?
Reply 4
Depending on what results day brings, You might see me back on here pretty soon.
Good luck xcoral23, I really really hope things go your way this time round! :yep:
Reply 5
Happy to see this! :smile:
Original post by Roller
all u lot r dumb ****s

**** off you worthless piece of crap....

you haven't even applied here and you aren't worthy of talking to these people....all of whom are much better than you will ever be

no-one talk to this troll.....he has been doing this on various other threads as well
Reply 7
Original post by infernalcradle
**** off you worthless piece of crap....

you haven't even applied here and you aren't worthy of talking to these people....all of whom are much better than you will ever be

no-one talk to this troll.....he has been doing this on various other threads as well

bludddddddddclattttttttttttttttttt sai dat 2 ma face init,,,,,,,,,,,, thouggt so bruv. like ur propa talkin 2 me an dat but tell ova man not ot tlak 2 me
like wots up wiv u, u got sutitn up ur ass?
Reply 8
Original post by imranzeb
I am also reapplying got three b at at alevels but should I enrol on a degree or take a second gap year advice anybody ?

retake them if you can. i dont think it's a good idea to go through the postgraduate route. far more competitive and there is no guarantee of a place. there are people on here who have taken 2 or three gap years and finally gotten into the course myself included. trust me, its worth the effort. Get involved in a lot more volunteering and work experience. healthcare work helps both financially and in terms of experience so it's worth looking into. but definitely think twice about the graduate entry.

i hope this helps
Reply 9
you see they posted letters to explain why we ddnt get in...its kinda annoying cz they dnt write specifically to u tellin u what was wrong with ur app :/ im guessing it was my ps and not enough volunteering! we can resit ukcats ryt?
Reply 10

its great to see this.....will probably lurk close to applying time to help anyone who needs it

thats real sweet of u :smile: I hope u get the grades and defo go soton and enjoy ur time there!!!
Reply 11
Original post by luvsongz
nice one!! its great that u made this thread :smile: x

Thank you, I think it's nice to be thinking abit fresher and to see what lovely people we may be trying to help get through the application process this time around - including ourselves ofcourse :smile:

Yeah that would be excellent - let us know how the course goes ect?

Original post by carl_senior
Depending on what results day brings, You might see me back on here pretty soon.
Good luck xcoral23, I really really hope things go your way this time round! :yep:

Don't be silly - you will be fine! Have faith in yourself, if you truely thought you weren't good enough or couldn't get the grades, you wouldn't have applied or been accepted at Leeds.. if you believe you can do it, you can..

One thing that kind of helps me but also puts me down is that I always do REALLY badly in like college module tests (always been like it) and get really crap predicted grades because of it - it makes me feel like ****e, but at the same time it makes me work harder so that I prove them all wrong.. try something like this to help.. prove yourself wrong!!

Thank you, I truely respect that statement alot. I hope so aswell, but since when did anything in life come easy lol

Original post by Aiboz
Happy to see this! :smile:

Mee to :biggrin: Are you reapplying?

Original post by Roller
all u lot r dumb ****s

Yes - that's why we are applying to Medicine - one of, if not the most demanding degrees in the World - clearly we are all dumb ****s

Sort your life out.

Original post by belle-a
retake them if you can. i dont think it's a good idea to go through the postgraduate route. far more competitive and there is no guarantee of a place. there are people on here who have taken 2 or three gap years and finally gotten into the course myself included. trust me, its worth the effort. Get involved in a lot more volunteering and work experience. healthcare work helps both financially and in terms of experience so it's worth looking into. but definitely think twice about the graduate entry.

i hope this helps

I agree. You need to sit down and weigh up the good points and bad points about each and see what is the best option for you. Only you can make this decision.

Original post by luvsongz
you see they posted letters to explain why we ddnt get in...its kinda annoying cz they dnt write specifically to u tellin u what was wrong with ur app :/ im guessing it was my ps and not enough volunteering! we can resit ukcats ryt?

I agree, but atleast they had the respect to send out letters - although they were a little harsh but honest. Also most universitites don't even do this.

You have to resit UKCAT anyway - it only lasts for that year that you are applying - thank god! This time I won't listen to anyone that tells me you can sit it more than once in one application period - they probably contributed to my rejections lol
Reply 12
yea thats true atleast they gave feedback of some sort :smile: i guess they were harsh cz of so much competition! i really do hope that we get in this time round if not me then u lot defo! really deserve it! and thanks i ddnt that abt the ukcat..hope i do alot better this time round then! lol
Reply 13
wow this thread has died.. most people are on the '2012 medicine applicants (hopefulls)' thread..

Hopefully later in the year those who have decided where they want to apply will comment on here and we can get the thread up and running..
Until then..

Good luck with exams and revision everyone! :smile:
Reply 14
Apart from the 'background' criteria. Is there anything else specific you need to meet in order to apply?
Reply 15
Original post by TheHeart
Apart from the 'background' criteria. Is there anything else specific you need to meet in order to apply?

"you should demonstrate that you have initiative, are self-motivated, literate and articulate. You must show that you are able to interact successfully with people, particularly in health and social care settings (for example, through personal/family experience, paid or voluntary work or work shadowing).

A levels: BCC, to include chemistry and biology. In addition, five GCSEs at grade C or above are required, including English, mathematics and double award science (or equivalent)"

Southampton are usually hot on personal statement, reference and (although no cut off for the BM6) a good UKCAT.

What are your academics and work experience if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 16
Original post by xcoral23
"you should demonstrate that you have initiative, are self-motivated, literate and articulate. You must show that you are able to interact successfully with people, particularly in health and social care settings (for example, through personal/family experience, paid or voluntary work or work shadowing).

A levels: BCC, to include chemistry and biology. In addition, five GCSEs at grade C or above are required, including English, mathematics and double award science (or equivalent)"

Southampton are usually hot on personal statement, reference and (although no cut off for the BM6) a good UKCAT.

What are your academics and work experience if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you for that :biggrin:
Work Experience - 3 months abroad in a hospital last summer. And hopefully more this summer. 1 A* 2 As 4 Bs 3Cs for GCSE's. I reckon I've not done so well in my AS exams though :/ Ha! Do I really even stand a chance :s-smilie:
How about yourself? :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Original post by xcoral23
Well, this is for all you Medic applicants who have decided/are considering applying/reapplying to the:

BM6- 6 year foundation Medicine course at Southampton for 2012 entry.

Just for general discussion, help, advice, support, questions ect..

Last years thread was pretty emotional and became like a family so feel free to ask anything..

:^_^:

Hello!
I am planning on applying here! but my alevel predictions will range from AAB-AAA, is that a problem do you reckon?
Also, how competitive is this course? Are all applicants guaranteed an interview?
And thanks for this thread! hopefully help me alot!:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by TheHeart
Thank you for that :biggrin:
Work Experience - 3 months abroad in a hospital last summer. And hopefully more this summer. 1 A* 2 As 4 Bs 3Cs for GCSE's. I reckon I've not done so well in my AS exams though :/ Ha! Do I really even stand a chance :s-smilie:
How about yourself? :rolleyes:

No problem :smile: Try and get some more experience in the UK this summer e.g. hospitals, GP.. try getting some in a different area of the NHS such as a GP surgery or perhaps mental health just to show you have considered areas of the NHS and that you have work experience within the UK NHS.. :smile:

How did your AS exams go? What are your predicted grades.. Seriously very few people ace their AS exams, most retake them during their second year so I wouldn't worry too much about that aslong as you have predicted A2 grades of BCC you have got a shot on the academics side..

Just study hard and get a load of work experience behind you.. you'll be fine!! :smile:

Original post by Honey:)
Hello!
I am planning on applying here! but my alevel predictions will range from AAB-AAA, is that a problem do you reckon?
Also, how competitive is this course? Are all applicants guaranteed an interview?

Hello :smile:

You're predicted grades are higher than required (BCC) can I ask why you are applying for this course wiith such high predicted grades? - I'm asking because the university is very strict on applicants for the BM6, if you have such high predicted grades you must have a good reason to be applyin for the BM6 and not the BM5..

The course is extremely competitive.. and no, there is no garantee of an interview especially considering there are only 30 places on the course it's far more competitive compared to the average 5-year course taking in about 250 students per course..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Honey:)
Hello!

Hey :smile: As said above you probably will have to have a good reason for applying as you could apply to normal medical school. But, people on here applied to both BM5 and BM6 this year, and I think one of them that I know got on the BM6 :smile:

Always worth a shot :smile:

If you guys need any help with anything nearer the time, i'm sure most of us will lurk around to help you guys with applications and what not. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending