The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loopy786
Rg has made me really sad.

gold was worse
Original post by chemistinthemaking
gold was worse

I'd say Gold was easier considering I've always been crap at half lives and stuff like that, lol. :tongue: Especially when I'm this tired. :frown:
Reply 502
I'd say Gold was easier considering I've always been crap at half lives and stuff like that, lol. :tongue: Especially when I'm this tired. :frown:

I also need a hand with this, they should have taken the same amount of time, I tried (log_2(50-(50*0.99275))*7.038*10^8) for Uranium-235 to figure out how many years it took to get to... I don't know, help me.
I thought Chemists had hearts,

Clearly, they're a rare breed.

I could've made some good puns here but my heart is too broken. :frown:
Reply 504
I thought Chemists had hearts,

Clearly, they're a rare breed.

I could've made some good puns here but my heart is too broken. :frown:

I agree.. nobody is helping :<
Original post by Lutski
I agree.. nobody is helping :<

I think being so close to exams does this to people. :frown:

I seem to have promised to tell the answer to Rg to about 6 or 7 people so far. NOW TO FIND THIS ELUSIVE ANSWERRRRRRR I'm not doing myself favours by being so tired that I can't even turn my calculator on properly anymore. :frown: So ridiculous. :frown:

Maybe I should give up all dreams of ever being a Chemist.

Maybe I should just go and live in an hole and be an Historian or something because I bet I'm just an Historian in denial wanting to be a Chemist.
Reply 506
I think being so close to exams does this to people. :frown:

I seem to have promised to tell the answer to Rg to about 6 or 7 people so far. NOW TO FIND THIS ELUSIVE ANSWERRRRRRR I'm not doing myself favours by being so tired that I can't even turn my calculator on properly anymore. :frown: So ridiculous. :frown:

Maybe I should give up all dreams of ever being a Chemist.

Maybe I should just go and live in an hole and be an Historian or something because I bet I'm just an Historian in denial wanting to be a Chemist.

Or we could just take the easy way out and become mad chemists in our self-invested laboratory. That could work.
Reply 507
still SO lost on gold, can someone please message me the answer?
Original post by Lutski
Or we could just take the easy way out and become mad chemists in our self-invested laboratory. That could work.

Let's do it. :biggrin: Okay, we can figure this out. I am determined to make this happen. We will have our own breed of true Chemists!!!

Okay I keep think it's something to do with 2^~6 x 7.04x10^8 or something

which gives 4.5056x10^10 (which isn't the answer) but my gut says this works in somewhere so any :smug: smug Chemist laughing at our despair, tell me I'm on the wrong track.. :frown: if that's the least you can do :frown:
Reply 509
Let's do it. :biggrin: Okay, we can figure this out. I am determined to make this happen. We will have our own breed of true Chemists!!!

Okay I keep think it's something to do with 2^~6 x 7.04x10^8 or something

which gives 4.5056x10^10 (which isn't the answer) but my gut says this works in somewhere so any :smug: smug Chemist laughing at our despair, tell me I'm on the wrong track.. :frown: if that's the least you can do :frown:

Okay, so.

Half Life of U-235 = 7.038*10^8 years
Half Life of U-238 = 4.468*10^9 years

And we need to get the ratio from equal to a stage where U-238 constitutes for 99.275% of the total... I'm so stuck..
Original post by Lutski
Okay, so.

Half Life of U-235 = 7.038*10^8 years
Half Life of U-238 = 4.468*10^9 years

And we need to get the ratio from equal to a stage where U-238 constitutes for 99.275% of the total... I'm so stuck..

I've decided that sleep is my best friend. If you plough away at this through the night, I really admire you, Lutski, but I'm going to bed because I reckon I will be a safer Chemist first thing tomorrow in my lesson if I don't go too insane just yet.

Keep that idea of the mad Chemists open though, please :frown: -dies inside-
Reply 511
I've decided that sleep is my best friend. If you plough away at this through the night, I really admire you, Lutski, but I'm going to bed because I reckon I will be a safer Chemist first thing tomorrow in my lesson if I don't go too insane just yet.

Keep that idea of the mad Chemists open though, please :frown: -dies inside-

I shall! I'll speak to you soon ;P
LOL :biggrin: last month's challenge was worse
For your information, all those who are stuck on RG (including me). Do not despair about being a rubbish chemist because you can't do it. This is not a chemistry question in any sense of the imagination. This is physics and maths at at least A2 level.

Its a nasty question that needs a very specific skill set, so don't worry! :smile:
I seem to notice that the numbers in Rg do not exactly add up to 100, but is instead 99.995. Was that intentional or a mistake on C3L6's part? Because I used 99.275 in my calculations and it worked just fine....but would 0.720 work just the same for others?

Although many of you find Gold evil, and Rg eviler if you aren't a big fan of maths, I'd have to say, copper level last month was worse. (who even knows about the E number controversy besides anybody else in the EU?)
Reply 515
I've tried this again today and even saw my physics teacher for help, nothing much came of it... ugh..
Original post by Randophera
I seem to notice that the numbers in Rg do not exactly add up to 100, but is instead 99.995. Was that intentional or a mistake on C3L6's part? Because I used 99.275 in my calculations and it worked just fine....but would 0.720 work just the same for others?

Although many of you find Gold evil, and Rg eviler if you aren't a big fan of maths, I'd have to say, copper level last month was worse. (who even knows about the E number controversy besides anybody else in the EU?)

Coper level last month was simple; it was gold level last month that was crazy!
Original post by chemistinthemaking
LOL :biggrin: last month's challenge was worse

No I did April in day 1 in a total of about 5 hours. Here, I am on day 2 and still stuck on Rg
Original post by Lutski
I shall! I'll speak to you soon ;P

I don't know whether I have the energy to try and fail again. :frown: Any progress? *hopeful*
Reply 519
I don't know whether I have the energy to try and fail again. :frown: Any progress? *hopeful*

No, not really. I've been given an A2 Physics textbook with a bunch of seemingly relevant formulae, but I don't know what to do with them.

Quick Reply