Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookies!)
    Whats the name of the compound for the entry level question? And can someone explain how they did it? thanks!
    think about what they're drawn it out off

GOOGLE LIKE CRAZY
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    haha thanks so much!
    completely over saw what they were drawn out from :P
    got it straight away when i typed it on google!
    thanks for the hint
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dream_merchant)
    i didnt use the density at all. you know the compound so you know the mr of the compound. so you mess aroiund with the numbers to change mg/dm3 to mol/dm-3
    I am still stuck on this. :/

Spoiler:
    Show
    I've got 0.0045 g/dm^-3 and divided it by 305.41. Is that wrong? D: I am feeling sufficiently stupid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    WOo done
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So stuck on gold! can any explain please?
    im guessing its 3 elements in red blood cells, leaves etc? something to do with porphyrins? or am I completely missing something :P
    thanks!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonal95)
    im guessing its 3 elements in red blood cells, leaves etc? something to do with porphyrins? or am I completely missing something :P
    thanks!
    You're looking for three different metal atoms that occur in three different types of porphyrin (look at the pictures in the background)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookies!)
    WOo done
    how about a hint for the last one??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    how about a hint for the last one??

seriously! what is the name of that old guy??? and that elemental riddle is driving me CRAZY! help please someone??? just tell me what his name is!!! :confused::confused:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck on gold =/ I think the metal atoms for red blood cells and leaves are iron and magnesium but what is the other one?!

Yeah, I've just realised that it is a turaco
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelaSwisse)
    seriously! what is the name of that old guy??? and that elemental riddle is driving me CRAZY! help please someone??? just tell me what his name is!!! :confused::confused:
    old guy??

and yeah, that riddle is downright confusing but will be so damn obvious once we know the answer. :rolleyes:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    old guy??

and yeah, that riddle is downright confusing but will be so damn obvious once we know the answer. :rolleyes:
    Have you done it yet? I think I have the answers for the 3rd and 4th letters.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craig12)
    Have you done it yet? I think I have the answers for the 3rd and 4th letters.
    nope, does each line mean a letter, a group of letters, or each relate to an element to make a compound. its so confusing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    See below for a hint:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Each clue is a single letter and each line is an element (2 elements per clue)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CM23925)
    See below for a hint:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Each clue is a single letter and each line is an element (2 elements per clue)
    thanks, having another go now as a break from revision
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craig12)
    I'm stuck on gold =/ I think the metal atoms for red blood cells and leaves are iron and magnesium but what is the other one?!

Yeah, I've just realised that it is a turaco
    haha yeah, i ended up typing into google spiky hair, green body and orange eyes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    nope, does each line mean a letter, a group of letters, or each relate to an element to make a compound. its so confusing
    yup basically what everyone else has said! also, you will know this chemist if you do a level chem :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Finally Thank God for wikipedia
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ended up going through a list of chemists till i found a name i recognised. not really showing off my chemistry talen there but ah well
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonal95)
    thanks!
    did you find the answer? I'm really stuck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Finally Thank God for wikipedia
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ended up going through a list of chemists till i found a name i recognised. not really showing off my chemistry talen there but ah well
    you got the answer??? if you did...can you please gimme some sort of a clue???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelaSwisse)
    you got the answer??? if you did...can you please gimme some sort of a clue???
    I didnt really work it out, as ive said in my spoiler, but theres plenty of hints above

Spoiler:
    Show
    one element per line, one leter per clue(2lines) and it comes out as a chemists name.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 29, 2014
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.