The Student Room Group

Is Psychology a 'weak' subject at A level and Degree level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SpeedyDesiato
Yeah, I'd say that a lot of the concepts/theories are pretty alright to grasp. An excess of dopamine could lead to Schizophrenia.

It's number of different proofs and synoptic understanding you need to show that make it a more demanding topic.

That's the pinnacle of it, this is what my class struggles with in what seems to come naturally to me.
Reply 21
Original post by SpeedyDesiato
The A Level isn't exactly easy. There's a reason that 100% UMS is often around 55/75 marks.

I got 100 ums in my last exam PSYA4 which was 65 marks. I was aiming for 100% but I'm disappointed I didn't get more raw marks.
Reply 22
Original post by Marsha2112
Well.....I do it for AS with while doing A2s in Further Maths, Physics and Chem. It's the "easiest" to understand, but it's the only subject I ever do homework for, and I got the lowest module result for it in January out of all my subjects, despite putting the most hours of revision in.

I'm surprised at that, any idea why?
The A-Level is easy, but I wouldn't criticise anything after that....I would never suggest that experimental psychology or any other type of professional psychology was easy...or "weak"
Reply 24
Original post by RobertWhite
I'm surprised at that, any idea why?

It's probably because Psychology isn't as much of an x leads to y leads to z kind of subject, as many of the traditional 'harder' science subjects are. There's more skirting around, deliberation, argument and justification needed when trying to make a point in Psychology.

edit: I might add that some people just find that a very difficult skill to maser.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
I've heard in others posts that Psychology is not considered a strong subject. What are your opinions on this? keep bias to a minimum!

Reasons would be great! :smile:

If you are planning to study Psychology at any university then of course it wouldn't be considered a weak subject at A-level! - the same goes for History of Art, RS (for Theology) or Government and Politics (for Politics). However, if you take Psych A-level and don't intend to do a degree in it then you may need to justify it in your Personal Statement. I study Art as an A-level and have had no problems getting offers for English, I think that's because I justified it well enough in my PS.
Original post by beepbeeprichie
Psychology is one of the most flawed disciplines in the academic world. It's also done a lot of evil stuff.

Continue....
You could argue it at A'level but no, at university it is well respected.
Original post by CathySarah
If you are planning to study Psychology at any university then of course it wouldn't be considered a weak subject at A-level! - the same goes for History of Art, RS (for Theology) or Government and Politics (for Politics). However, if you take Psych A-level and don't intend to do a degree in it then you may need to justify it in your Personal Statement. I study Art as an A-level and have had no problems getting offers for English, I think that's because I justified it well enough in my PS.
So long as you're justifying it rather than excusing it.

I don't see why you'd have to excuse either though. I'd have buckled under the workload my friends did for art and music and I did maths, biology and chemistry (not typically seen as "soft")
Reply 29
Original post by CathySarah

I do plan on studying it at University.
Reply 30
Original post by aliluvschoc
It's probably because Psychology isn't as much of an x leads to y leads to z kind of subject, as many of the traditional 'harder' science subjects are. There's more skirting around, deliberation, argument and justification needed when trying to make a point in Psychology.

edit: I might add that some people just find that a very difficult skill to maser.

That some people being my whole class, except me (no arrogance intended). :colone:
A level is really easy, can't say about degree. But I would defintely say a level is weak as it doesn't take much effort at all.
Reply 32
Original post by warning.shot
A level is really easy, can't say about degree. But I would defintely say a level is weak as it doesn't take much effort at all.

I agree with you to an extent. I don't believe the A level is REALLY easy, some people find it really hard because they lack the evaluative skills. I think it takes effort though, hence the grade boundaries being rock bottom at the moment.
Reply 33
I wouldn't personally say so, no.
There is a lot of memorization required to get a decent grade. It's not a subject you can just sort of walk in to, and know what you're doing.

I think many people still think that psychology is 'Reading minds' or 'Mind games' or 'Magic tricks'. No, we don't all want to be Derren Brown.
(Obviously Oxbridge don't hold this opinion, one would assume they knew what it entailed)
(edited 13 years ago)
I agree with you to an extent. I don't believe the A level is REALLY easy, some people find it really hard because they lack the evaluative skills. I think it takes effort though, hence the grade boundaries being rock bottom at the moment.

I would hardly describe memorising an arbitrary list of "methodological evaluations" as requiring skills.
Reply 35
A level Psychology isn't even seen as a weak subject by academic institutions. Even Cambridge see it as more acceptable for certain subjects. :curious:
Reply 36
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I would hardly describe memorising an arbitrary list of "methodological evaluations" as requiring skills.

You'd be surprised at the general ability of my sixth form in doing this then. I do go to a sixth form that doesn't even rank in the whole of the UK though, nor in my area out of the hundreds present.
Reply 37
Original post by Racheld25
I wouldn't personally say so, no.
There is a lot of memorization required to get a decent grade. It's not a subject you can just sort of walk in to, and know what you're doing.

I think many people still think that psychology is 'Reading minds' or 'Mind games' or 'Magic tricks'. No, we don't all want to be Derren Brown.
(Obviously Oxbridge don't hold this opinion, one would assume they knew what it entailed)

I agree there are many misconceptions on what Psychology compromises of.
Chemistry, Physics and maths are arguably more conceptually demanding, but there's no bloody content in them at all.
Reply 39
Original post by Llamageddon
Chemistry, Physics and maths are arguably more conceptually demanding, but there's no bloody content in them at all.

Is that so? I've always related chemistry at least to holding as much content as biology. It's no surprise to me now why I have a friend who knows his stuff but achieves U's in the exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending