The Student Room Group

JP morgan Schools Programme 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Competencies
For what it's worth, I just finished at a local state college a decent distance from London.

I think the short paragraph was basically just another way of saying a cover letter. Wasn't there like a 300 word limit on it as well, which is a lot more than short paragraph.

Do you reckon where you went to school made much of an impact? I go to a well known school and obviously hasn't meant anything (as it rightly shouldn't) but just saying.

Mind you, a friend in the year above me got on last year.
Original post by CityTrader
Do you reckon where you went to school made much of an impact? I go to a well known school and obviously hasn't meant anything (as it rightly shouldn't) but just saying.

Mind you, a friend in the year above me got on last year.

I really have no idea, if we roll with the whole disadvantaged thing, then perhaps. I mean, you won't find my college on any top rated lists nor does it cost anything for me to attend so that might've given me an advantage.

But then if only a few years ago it was exclusively for people at the top schools in the country such a u-turn would make very little sense.
Reply 482
I really have no idea, if we roll with the whole disadvantaged thing, then perhaps. I mean, you won't find my college on any top rated lists nor does it cost anything for me to attend so that might've given me an advantage.

But then if only a few years ago it was exclusively for people at the top schools in the country such a u-turn would make very little sense.

I got to a state school and hvae been rejected, despite good academics and ok ECs. So school/grades are not dicriminatios.

Can I ask what you put down for any relevant experience in your CV/CL?
Reply 483
I think you guys are reading too much into it. This programme will not have been a massive priority for J P Morgan. While I'm sure it's important for them I'm sure they had other, more important things to be getting on with. Applications may have been accepted for one reason or another, I think you will struggle to isolate one factor from the others.

Ah well, there's always next year :smile:
Reply 484

And when I say I have poor academics, I did get AAAA at AS and predicted A*AA, just my GCSEs are poor.

mine as well, where are you going next year?
When I say disadvantaged I'm saying it from what I experienced. With the MS programme nobody from my school or some other really good schools I know, got into the programme. But someone who has very similar academics and ECs, from a less well known and not a very good school got in.
And well if it came down to the CL, I would be gutted if that was the reason I didn't get it, I spent a fair amount of time writing it and it was a page of me basically saying how much I would love to have the experience.
Original post by Purehakkai
When I say disadvantaged I'm saying it from what I experienced. With the MS programme nobody from my school or some other really good schools I know, got into the programme. But someone who has very similar academics and ECs, from a less well known and not a very good school got in.
And well if it came down to the CL, I would be gutted if that was the reason I didn't get it, I spent a fair amount of time writing it and it was a page of me basically saying how much I would love to have the experience.

What is CL :s-smilie: Everyone keeps talking about it lol
Sorry if I'm being slow:tongue:
Original post by woods.vanessa
What is CL :s-smilie: Everyone keeps talking about it lol
Sorry if I'm being slow:tongue:

Cover Letter - that 300 word thing we had to write.
Original post by Purehakkai

I don't think you can use one example to support the idea that there was some kind of discrimination against 'advantaged' students, the fact that you both had similar academics/ECs only really backs up the idea that it came down to the cover letter.
Reply 489
lol amateurs
Reply 490
I'm in! For 17th & 18th. Shame it's on results day though :frown:
got my offer for the results day one! how many people get in?
Reply 492
Yeah, on the waiting list for 17/18th too, I think the cover letter was more important than I thought, mine was about 100 words, took about 5 minutes, and is quite frankly **** haha. Ah well, now I know for next year :smile:
Reply 493
Original post by twig
We may be (or may be not) slightly over-emphasising the importance of cover letters, as we can not know for sure. Comparing the strengths of cover letters is too subjective. Anyway, note that in the original website it only mentioned to include CV and a short para in CV. The cover letter was not mentioned.

Just my thoughts anyway.

cover letter for this particular program is extremely important.
Original post by therealOG
Cover Letter - that 300 word thing we had to write.

LOL oh thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 495
do you reckon they would turn down a very strong candidate? like someone with good grades and good experience record because jp morgan believe that there is no point of them gettin on the program
Reply 496
It seems from the email that is was first come first serve OR the waiting list email was a polite rejection...

How annoying!

Completely off topic and nothing to do with investment banking......... But is anyone going to the Deloitte event in the city next week?
Reply 498
Original post by CityTrader
Completely off topic and nothing to do with investment banking......... But is anyone going to the Deloitte event in the city next week?

I'm going on Monday
Original post by antas33
I'm going on Monday

Yep me too, the one in London yar?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending