The Student Room Group

The most easiest med school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hassi94
Most med schools won't take your GCSEs into account too much as long as you do well in AS and are predicted high grades for A2.

Some of the easiest ones will be Bristol, Keele, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Sheffield, UEA, Aberdeen, Glasgow, St Andrews and Cardiff.

I base this off the fact they only had requirements of AAB last year rather than the then-standard AAA.

EDIT: And don't Neg. me just because you go to one of these Unis. I'm basing that list off of a 2 minute look in a book and comparing them by one factor only. It is by no means definitive in any way - but I thought I'd add SOMETHING other than the people saying 'there is no easy one' because he's already stated he knows that!

admitting you have a flawed methodology and still giving a conclusion is a pretty poor show...

also note the section in bold is almost always not the case.
Original post by hassi94

Original post by hassi94
To those disagreeing - I realise that my list isn't brilliant - and that's because there is no good list. I just based it being dependant on one particular factor hoping it would help a little.

If I were to do it accurately it would be different and I'd have to take loads of other factors into consideration. But frankly I don't have the time to do that - so I'm just going off one factor to have some positive input.

Cambridge and Oxford probably have the highest acceptance rate but that's because only the best go for them!

But your list isn't relevant at all. It's even less useful than saying "there is no easy medical school". The OP listed their GCSE results, asking where would best suit those, and half the ones on your list are not suitable (e.g. UEA asks for 6As)

So if you don't have time to do it properly, don't waste time writing lists of unis that the OP doesn't have a hope in hell of getting into!
Original post by Straight up G
Sheff and Kings are hard to get into.

Only because of a high UKCAT barrier.
If you do well in the UKCAT you've got a ticket into those universities
Reply 23
Original post by hassi94

Original post by hassi94

Cambridge and Oxford probably have the highest acceptance rate but that's because only the best go for them!

No its because you can only apply for one or the other.
Original post by BackDoorEntry
Only because of a high UKCAT barrier.
If you do well in the UKCAT you've got a ticket into those universities

They both look highly on GCSEs and voluntary work as well, so I don't think it's as easy as that.
Reply 25
Original post by hiyarearl
You really need to do some research into Medical schools which don't take into account your GCSE's as much as others when scoring applicants. For example, it'd be useless applying to universities that want X number of A*'s at GCSE as a minimum requirement. Comb over the minimum requirments for Medicine at various universities online and look for those for which you'll have a chance.

I'd also note with those GCSE's try your best to perform well at the UKCAT then apply to universities which use the UKCAT to rank applicants when offering interviews (e.g. Newcastle I think) and then try to wow them at interview.

I'm not sure but I think some of the universities that your GCSE's might not be too much of an issue when applying (if you score highly in the other areas) are: Barts, Aberdeen, Birghton and Sussex, Dundee, Durham, Kings, Leeds, Leiceter, Newcastle, Peninsula, Southampton and St Andrews.

However although the ones above don't score specifically on GCSE's or ask for a set number of GCSE's officially on their requirements by no means is to say that they don't consider them when selecting for interviews. Personally I'd say your best bet is to aim for the Unis which really focus highly on the UKCAT in their selection process and aim to ace that.

Good luck, it's still definitally possible for you to get into Medical School but make sure you can balance out your average (only in a medicial school applicant context!) grades with strong critera elsewhere.

Thankyou so much for that reply! that is great help for me!and yes i am going to work really hard and hopefully i could smack out a good UKCAT score! :biggrin:
They both look highly on GCSEs and voluntary work as well, so I don't think it's as easy as that.

Well im not applying for medicine, but some of the people who got interviews and offers for medicine at sheffield at my school didn't have spectacular gcse's.. and kings use the UKCAT so heavily its almost abusing it.

So obviously if you have no voluntary work/experience/extra curricular and all that, you won't have a shot. But I'm pretty sure if the OP is applying for medicine they will have the above.
Original post by BackDoorEntry
Well im not applying for medicine, but some of the people who got interviews and offers for medicine at sheffield at my school didn't have spectacular gcse's.. and kings use the UKCAT so heavily its almost abusing it.

So obviously if you have no voluntary work/experience/extra curricular and all that, you won't have a shot. But I'm pretty sure if the OP is applying for medicine they will have the above.

Every school has a different experience, that's all I can say. Kings have a cut off of 720-750 on UKCAT supposedly. Apparently Sheffields cut off is 710. Kings also have high GCSE requirements, and the people I know who got into Sheffield all had 9A*s ore more, so that's what I'm basing it on.
Reply 28

Every school has a different experience, that's all I can say. Kings have a cut off of 720-750 on UKCAT supposedly. Apparently Sheffields cut off is 710. Kings also have high GCSE requirements, and the people I know who got into Sheffield all had 9A*s ore more, so that's what I'm basing it on.

Kings doesn't have a cut off, people with 630 UKCAT have got offers. It's simply a combination of GCSEs and UKCAT.
Original post by gozatron
Kings doesn't have a cut off, people with 630 UKCAT have got offers. It's simply a combination of GCSEs and UKCAT.

Ahh alright. That's why I said supposedly, I thought it was far too high. I had also heard that it was a combination thing elsewhere...
Reply 30
Who told you that education is easy? Shoot the guy!
Reply 31
Original post by Duckasaurus
It depends. If you got less than stellar grades because of the school you went to, eg. if it was in a deprived area, and average results were low, there are certain courses that may be slightly "easier" to get into- King's EMPD springs to mind.

Otherwise, nope, unfortunately they're all about equal and all quite solid- just tailor your application to a uni that doesn't place so much emphasis on GCSEs (avoid Birmingham like the plague) and do really well on the UKCAT/ BMAT, get lots of work experience and you should be in with a chance :smile:

EMDP? and yes i live in a deprived area but go to a school in a better area ket say:smile: and EMDP- tell me more:P
Reply 32
Original post by MedicSoon!

EMDP? and yes i live in a deprived area but go to a school in a better area ket say:smile: and EMDP- tell me more:P

Do you go to a non-selective state school in inner london or kent?
Reply 33
Wouldn't say there's an easiest medical school to get into, but if you play to your strengths then you certainly can increase your chances significantly.

Boss the UKCAT? Apply to Sheffield, Newcastle, Barts, Manchester, Peninsula or Glasgow. Possibly a couple others. Of course though getting an excellent UKCAT will only get you to interview at these places, sometimes not even then. Manchester and Sheffield look at your PS first I believe so that would have to be of a good standard also.

Amazing GCSEs? Well unfortunately you'll have to rule out these but it's important to know them - Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Oxford. There will be more e.g. Kings, although you may get an impressive UKCAT, looks out of reach due to the number of applicants now applying with both very good GCSEs and UKCAT scores.

Impressive PS? Obviously subjective and difficult to gauge, but places that look at it in detail before interview include Leeds, BSMS, Keele and Southampton (who don't interview). Check their respective websites to find out what they're looking for and try and include it in your PS.

Of course each of the med schools mentioned takes into account the whole application so it's important you look into which ones you're interested in further, but it's also important to realise that if one part of your application isn't strong it doesn't mean you won't get in.

Here's a link: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/emdp/details bare in mind it's very specific, not just in terms of schools, but also in terms of geography. Tbh, you're probably best off just doing your best, getting As and aiming for standard A100
Reply 35
Original post by Duckasaurus
Here's a link: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/emdp/details bare in mind it's very specific, not just in terms of schools, but also in terms of geography. Tbh, you're probably best off just doing your best, getting As and aiming for standard A100

Thankyou:smile:
Reply 36
Original post by ScrubZ
Wouldn't say there's an easiest medical school to get into, but if you play to your strengths then you certainly can increase your chances significantly.

Boss the UKCAT? Apply to Sheffield, Newcastle, Barts, Manchester, Peninsula or Glasgow. Possibly a couple others. Of course though getting an excellent UKCAT will only get you to interview at these places, sometimes not even then. Manchester and Sheffield look at your PS first I believe so that would have to be of a good standard also.

Amazing GCSEs? Well unfortunately you'll have to rule out these but it's important to know them - Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Oxford. There will be more e.g. Kings, although you may get an impressive UKCAT, looks out of reach due to the number of applicants now applying with both very good GCSEs and UKCAT scores.

Impressive PS? Obviously subjective and difficult to gauge, but places that look at it in detail before interview include Leeds, BSMS, Keele and Southampton (who don't interview). Check their respective websites to find out what they're looking for and try and include it in your PS.

Of course each of the med schools mentioned takes into account the whole application so it's important you look into which ones you're interested in further, but it's also important to realise that if one part of your application isn't strong it doesn't mean you won't get in.

WOW! amazing thankyou so much for the effort of replying back this is soo helpful! :biggrin:
and i was hoping if i get a decent UKCAT it would cover up my bad gcses grades!:smile:
Reply 37
Original post by gozatron
Do you go to a non-selective state school in inner london or kent?

i go to a non selective school in east london... so yeah!
Original post by hassi94
Most med schools won't take your GCSEs into account too much as long as you do well in AS and are predicted high grades for A2.

Some of the easiest ones will be Bristol, Keele, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Sheffield, UEA, Aberdeen, Glasgow, St Andrews and Cardiff.

I base this off the fact they only had requirements of AAB last year rather than the then-standard AAA.

EDIT: And don't Neg. me just because you go to one of these Unis. I'm basing that list off of a 2 minute look in a book and comparing them by one factor only. It is by no means definitive in any way - but I thought I'd add SOMETHING other than the people saying 'there is no easy one' because he's already stated he knows that!

leeds? really? you need like 8 A*s for interview
bristol? need A in maths, english and all science
Liverpool, you need around 7As
Original post by Limesasquatch
leeds? really? you need like 8 A*s for interview
bristol? need A in maths, english and all science
Liverpool, you need around 7As

As I said it was only a 2 minute search on A level requirements. Can then eliminate GCSE requirements and narrow it down :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending