The Student Room Group

Can you use a netbook as your only computer?

I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 1525, which is rapidly dying. I'm looking to get a netbook to replace it (probably an ASUS, with a dual core processor), but suddenly wondered if it's as functionable as I want...

The plan was to hook it up to a decent sized monitor, external DVD drive, etc, so that at home it runs pretty much like a desktop, but then unplug it and take it to uni. Will it be able to run video (I watch tv on my laptop), multiple internet tabs, a few Office programs, etc without slowing down?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah

I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 1525, which is rapidly dying. I'm looking to get a netbook to replace it (probably an ASUS, with a dual core processor), but suddenly wondered if it's as functionable as I want...

The plan was to hook it up to a decent sized monitor, external DVD drive, etc, so that at home it runs pretty much like a desktop, but then unplug it and take it to uni. Will it be able to run video (I watch tv on my laptop), multiple internet tabs, a few Office programs, etc without slowing down?

All that stuff simultaneously will stress most entry level netbooks "straight out the box", given that their processors are a low speed and they usually only come with 1GB of RAM. Buying a 2GB stick of RAM (Which will set you back about £20) and installing that will probably be a necessity. Do that, and it should be able to cope without slowing down too much.
(edited 13 years ago)
It's pushing it... As Gofre says you will need to put in 2GB of RAM before it's running well. (I've recently upgraded my 2009 netbook to Windows 7 and the 1GB RAM is seriously starting to affect performance.)

To be honest, what you want to do is OK but I think it will feel too workaroundy. I used my old laptop in clamshell mode for a while and couldn't stand it for longer than a few days.
Reply 3
Original post by Sports Racer
It's pushing it... As Gofre says you will need to put in 2GB of RAM before it's running well. (I've recently upgraded my 2009 netbook to Windows 7 and the 1GB RAM is seriously starting to affect performance.)

To be honest, what you want to do is OK but I think it will feel too workaroundy. I used my old laptop in clamshell mode for a while and couldn't stand it for longer than a few days.

Thanks guys. I was looking for 2GB RAM but it seems pretty rare to be able to buy a netbook with it already installed (and my computing abilities definitely do not extend to opening it up and fiddling about inside :s-smilie:).
Reply 4
Agreed about sticking a bit of extra ram in it. Otherwise, it should be able to do what you want, so long as you're not watching video and doing the other stuff all at once.

It'll play video alone fine, and also it should run multiple internets, office, WinAmp (or iTunes if you're gay) etc. all at once fine - but probably not the internets, office, etc. and video all at once (you'd probably find the video starting to stutter). Though I'm not sure why you'd even want to do it all at once, unless your multitasking abilities are superhuman!

Of course, you'll need to make sure before buying that it has the ability to attach an external monitor - as not all do. It would suck balls to be stuck with a tiny screen. I won't even use a laptop with less than a 15" screen, it just feels too restrictive to even be usable for long. Though that may be because I'm too used to my 24" desktop monitor... and even with that I run a 2nd 17" 4:3 monitor that I put MSN Messenger and WinAmp on :biggrin:. I've been spoiled for screen space, prolly.

Thanks guys. I was looking for 2GB RAM but it seems pretty rare to be able to buy a netbook with it already installed (and my computing abilities definitely do not extend to opening it up and fiddling about inside :s-smilie:).

You get a better deal buying it yourself rather than pre-installed anyway. Most computer companies put a disproportional mark-up on the price of models with higher RAM than identical models with less.

Upgrading RAM is actually pretty easy. Once you've taken the back off (For which all you'll need is a screwdriver), the RAM is usually right on top- some laptops even come with little pop-up lids for easy access to the RAM. all you do is pull the two latches holding it down apart, and it springs up. Take out the old, put the new one in, and press it down until you hear a click. That's all there is to it [=

Because RAM is like the upgradeable thing in a computer, it's easily accessible from the outside. On the bottom of the netbook there's a flap with a screw holding it in place. You can use Crucial's RAM tool to find and buy guaranteed-compatible RAM. Then you can use your common sense and skills developed when you were playing with Lego to take the old RAM out and put the new in.
Reply 7

Depends on what you do with it, i have a netbook single core, upgraded to 2gb of ram and it runs just like my old pentium 4 computer. Dual core should have some benefits.

In terms of multiple internet tabs, office programs i can run it on my netbook, i often have notepad++, word, chrome, iTunes open and it runs fine.

As for videos, i know for sure that a single core netbook struggles to play HD content, 720p is laggy, and 1080p would probaly crash your media player. Im not sure if the dual core netbooks have issues with HD content, but it should be decent.

I use my netbook to play Standard def videos on my 40" TV via vga and it works fine, so dual monitoring with a netbook wont be a issue.

Just so you know their a Samsung dual core netbook with 8hr battery life for £230ish

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/251966

If you intend to pay more than £350 + for a netbook, id say get a laptop, but the samsung netbook link i posted is cheap and covers your needs.
Reply 8
Original post by Sports Racer
Because RAM is like the upgradeable thing in a computer, it's easily accessible from the outside. On the bottom of the netbook there's a flap with a screw holding it in place. You can use Crucial's RAM tool to find and buy guaranteed-compatible RAM. Then you can use your common sense and skills developed when you were playing with Lego to take the old RAM out and put the new in.

That sounds far less complicated than I was imagining :awesome: Is there a limit to how much RAM I can put in? Like, how much the netbook is capable of working with? And is there an optimum I should be aiming for - say 2GB will be sufficient, or shell out a bit more to get 3GB?

That sounds far less complicated than I was imagining :awesome: Is there a limit to how much RAM I can put in? Like, how much the netbook is capable of working with? And is there an optimum I should be aiming for - say 2GB will be sufficient, or shell out a bit more to get 3GB?

2GB should be sufficient, and probably all you'll be able to use anyway. You're correct in that RAM is limited, with each computer having a set quantity that it can support. Given the generally low specs across the board in a netbook, this is unlikely to be past 2GB, and given the low processor speeds you wouldn't notice any difference even if you put more RAM in. Furthermore RAM sticks double in capacity each time (512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB etc), and netbooks usually only come with a single bay where RAM can be added, making 3GB an unlikely scenario. But in the off chance that the one you purchase does have a second RAM bay and supports 3GB (Check with the manufacturer first, using incorrect RAM quantities can cripple a computer's performance while you use that configuration), you can put the newly bought 2GB stick in and keep the original 1GB in the other. However for your needs and the general limitations of a netbook, 2GB is probably the optimum level you'll need.

Meh, I have been doing it for a year and a half now and just got a MacBook to use as my main computer.

Up until now on my single core, 1.0ghz netbook I could do EVERYTHING that I needed to do concerning school work, web browsing, document creation, etc.

What I couldn't do, however, was watch HD video, or any video for that matter over 360p. (Youtube, online streaming, etc.)

There were porformance hits and I started getting frustrated at waiting a lot, but overall I could do it.

With the Macbook, I'm doing everything faster and more efficiently, mostly because of the changes form XP to OSX and the highly increased specs.

So all in all, if you are using a netbook as your main computer, you're only going to run into any real problems if you start messing around with media, mainly video. I could do a little super light photo editing on mine and I could watch pretty much any video I downloaded, just not HD quality. This couldn't really be done at the same time though.

Oh and I did have a 19 inch monitor hooked up along with 2 external drives; as long as you have the ports you should be good to go.

There is a limit to ram, it depends on one the actual number of cards you can put. I don't remember the other criteria but I'm sure someone will chime in :smile:

As for the 2 or 3 gigs, the more the better... but it is really going to depend on what you're doing that uses up a lot of RAM. If you're just doing document editing and light surfing, you wouldn't really see an increase in performance.
I use mine as my main computer at uni, yes I agree with the others and would recommend a RAM upgrade, I got one for mine and it was quite straightforward to put it in.

But I often watch a video using vlc, have over 30 tabs open, a couple of word documents open and its runs ok for me- so yes it can handle the stress.
Reply 13

Tell me about it, I've got an Inspiron 1525 aswell, the battery doesn't work, constantly makes the USB device connect/disconnect sound certain days and it's operating at 50% processing power because the battery doesn't work. Trying to hold off replacing it til I get my NUS card when I start uni to buy a Mac.
Reply 14
Original post by im_ant
Tell me about it, I've got an Inspiron 1525 aswell, the battery doesn't work, constantly makes the USB device connect/disconnect sound certain days and it's operating at 50% processing power because the battery doesn't work. Trying to hold off replacing it til I get my NUS card when I start uni to buy a Mac.

Eek! So far I just have the battery dying (it claims it still charges, but unplug it from the mains and I get about half an hour maximum!) and the trackpad playing up - it freezes, but if you hit the bottom left corner of the laptop it starts working again! Even with educational discount I can't justify a Mac, tho I would love one, so looks like it'll be a PC netbook for me.
Original post by Young Spade
Meh, I have been doing it for a year and a half now and just got a MacBook to use as my main computer.

Up until now on my single core, 1.0ghz netbook I could do EVERYTHING that I needed to do concerning school work, web browsing, document creation, etc.

What I couldn't do, however, was watch HD video, or any video for that matter over 360p. (Youtube, online streaming, etc.)

There were porformance hits and I started getting frustrated at waiting a lot, but overall I could do it.

With the Macbook, I'm doing everything faster and more efficiently, mostly because of the changes form XP to OSX and the highly increased specs.

So all in all, if you are using a netbook as your main computer, you're only going to run into any real problems if you start messing around with media, mainly video. I could do a little super light photo editing on mine and I could watch pretty much any video I downloaded, just not HD quality. This couldn't really be done at the same time though.

Oh and I did have a 19 inch monitor hooked up along with 2 external drives; as long as you have the ports you should be good to go.

You have to bear in mind people buy netbooks because they're cheap and small, MacBooks are neither.

OP, I'd just go for a standard netbook and upgrade to 2GB of RAM, that will cover your basic needs. You should be able to browse the web, have office open, listen to music all simultaneously. Watching HD video should be OK provided you're not doing a multitude of other things at the same time. Just check to netbook is compatible with what you need to do with it, ie. installing more RAM, hooking up to a monitor etc.
My Asus Eee is currently streaming video from iplayer, has three tabs open in Firefox and five docs open in MS Word. It's currently using the TV as an external monitor and the picture is very good :smile:. It also has a lovely keyboard and excellent battery life, so I can't see any drawbacks as long as you don't want to do music recording, major photoshopping etc on it.
Reply 17
Eek! So far I just have the battery dying (it claims it still charges, but unplug it from the mains and I get about half an hour maximum!) and the trackpad playing up - it freezes, but if you hit the bottom left corner of the laptop it starts working again! Even with educational discount I can't justify a Mac, tho I would love one, so looks like it'll be a PC netbook for me.

What is your budget?

You can pick up a 13"-15" notebook for not very much more money, and you will definitely feel the improved performance and full sized keyboard.
The other thing you will notice is that even things like plugging in an external monitor will affect the performance of a netbook seriously.
Reply 18
Original post by Fallen
What is your budget?

You can pick up a 13"-15" notebook for not very much more money, and you will definitely feel the improved performance and full sized keyboard.
The other thing you will notice is that even things like plugging in an external monitor will affect the performance of a netbook seriously.

I was thinking £4-500, but that's to cover getting an external monitor, keyboard, DVD drive, etc as well... :s-smilie: And I'd prefer something <12", given that I'd like to be able to take it into uni occasionally.
Reply 19
I was thinking £4-500, but that's to cover getting an external monitor, keyboard, DVD drive, etc as well... :s-smilie: And I'd prefer something <12", given that I'd like to be able to take it into uni occasionally.

For £500 (or less) you can easily get a notebook which suits realistically your computing needs, eliminates the need for a keyboard and DVD drive.

A entry-level 15" notebook (although you could go 13") will be thin and light enough for you to take with you in a backpack or messenger bag (etc.) comfortably.
I suppose are you willing to compromise on the screen? Would you be able to handle a 15" all the time without an external one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending