The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Also bear in mind letter writing success depends on the warden. I can easily see it working on Donald...but he's not your typical warden either.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 41
Phil_D
If you want to get in to Wills you'll almost definately have to write the warden a letter. I didn't and didn't make it in - yet a whole host of TSR people did this year and they made it. In other words, Donald likes to have his arse kissed. Which makes the decision process much easier for him - i.e "who has kissed my arse this year". And it turns out that so many people write him letters that you can't really afford not to.

Cynical and bitter on my part, but wholely accurate. :biggrin:

I didn't, and no one i know of did, athough, its not the kind of thing that crops up in conversation
Reply 42
I did :p:
Reply 43
Gexko
I did :p:

As did many many others.
Reply 44
Erm I'm hazarding a guess that the letter writing advocates might be a slightly self selected 'majority' on here. In the 'real world', they're defintely the minority. Most people don't write letters.

So it appears that writing a letter increases your chances. What we don't know (especially as Wills is vastly oversubscribed) is how many letter writers did NOT get in, and we also need to notice how many (the vast majority) of those in Wills did NOT write letters...so back to the self selecting sample right here. People on TSR, IN a halls thread who got into Wills...who are care enough about the whole thing to be on TSR, IN a halls thread (after already getting into Wills...) in Wills...hardly a surprise they might be a sizable majority of that letter writing minority...
Reply 45
No most people write emails.

Much quicker and more convenient.

--------------

A poll is needed.
Reply 46
Gexko
No most people write emails.

Much quicker and more convenient.

--------------

A poll is needed.

But like brabzzz said, a sample from a TSR who care enough to talk about it on the Bristol forum isn't gonna prove an awful lot.

Cxx
Reply 47
ciara
But like brabzzz said, a sample from a TSR who care enough to talk about it on the Bristol forum isn't gonna prove an awful lot.

Cxx

Even if that is true, it's still fair to say that if you wanna improve your chances of getting into Wills, write Donald a letter. Even if it's true that only a tiny minority actually wrote letters to get in, i would imagine that a huge majority of those that wrote letters did make it in. Or so i would assume.
Reply 48
Phil_D
Even if that is true, it's still fair to say that if you wanna improve your chances of getting into Wills, write Donald a letter. Even if it's true that only a tiny minority actually wrote letters to get in, i would imagine that a huge majority of those that wrote letters did make it in. Or so i would assume.

Totally! I'd definitely advise people trying to get into Wills this year to write a letter, not so sure about other halls but I doubt a quick e-mail would do any harm. Just was commenting that a poll wouldn't show a lot.

Cxx
Reply 49
What if I sent a nice gift with my letter? Like some expensive chocolates? :p:
Reply 50
bribery is the answer.

Latest

Trending

Trending