The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notwinter
Thanks! I'll probably go to leeds as I'm very interested in curation. I have knew a boy that got accepted to slade and was told he was the first person to reject it in 20 years... But if I got it I would accept!! I'm not terribly fussed about Chelsea, but I want my options!

Oh cool! I love installation. I know they look thoroughly through each portfolio, mine was all different when I opened it back up so they must have had a good look.

He doesn't say much haha, but his mum id very nice!

All that work on my Flickr is independent work, my BTEC work is very irrelevant to what I do outside. But I'd say I make just as much for school than I do for myself.
When I went to the talk at Slade I was told they don't want to see any ALEVEL work, mostly independent maybe some foundation if you did some. That scared me!

See I don't understand the criticism of A-Level work. What are they so keen on seeing that wouldn't be presented? At my school we literally manage are own time and do whatever we want with little guidance. Perhaps it's not like that at other schools?

I do hope they give it a good look! Doing A-level however I get little time to do anything outside of school so I hope they can consider that a lil. I doubt my grades will interest them that much either... why did I apply again haha
I'm not sure, I just think they want to see what you do in your own time. Because in Alevel you are given projects and I think they want to see your interests outside of school. In my school we do literally whatever like you, but I didn't want to put anything in so I just used all my independent work. I'm sure it won't matter, because they won't know :-)
I'm sure they will look over it all. Don't worry, but grades aren't brilliant, I probs have the grades to scrape getting in.
I'm doubting applying now. There's like a 0.0001% chance i'll get an interview :smile:
I'm not sure, I just think they want to see what you do in your own time. Because in Alevel you are given projects and I think they want to see your interests outside of school. In my school we do literally whatever like you, but I didn't want to put anything in so I just used all my independent work. I'm sure it won't matter, because they won't know :-)
I'm sure they will look over it all. Don't worry, but grades aren't brilliant, I probs have the grades to scrape getting in.
I'm doubting applying now. There's like a 0.0001% chance i'll get an interview :smile:

I suppose they will get students entering the "Where I live" project and perhaps they mean it from that point of view. I feel as if I have tried my best so there really isn't much I could do I guess. Either way its a waiting game now but fortunately not the longest!

I am pretty sure you have a good chance at an interview. After re-reading the portfolio specification constantly it always stood out the idea of independent work so that will look good :smile: Good luck anyway! Out of interest what did you get for GCSE/predicted for your BTEC? :smile:
I've never heard of that one. Sounds interesting. What did you make for it?
I was debating putting is a textile piece I just made. It's like this really weird cape where I dyed 1000 goose feathers green and gold foiled the edges. I'm not sure if I have a pic of it, let me look!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/16292135785/
But I'm not sure it's very fine arty. At school we have to make all sorts of art. I hardly do any painting there. I know! It really is a waiting game. I reckon we will start finding out within a week. Scary. I'm sure your portfolio is great! Sounds like you care a lot.
Good luck to you too.
I'm not sure, I just enjoy making independent work, I'm not sure I could go a day without making something it just sort of relaxes me haha.
My GCSE's weren't brilliant. 2 A's, 3 B's, 3 C's and D*D*D* in Art
For BTEC/Alevel I got an E in English (redoing) I'm predicted a B now... exam mess ups, sigh. And I'm predicted something like D*D*D.
What about you?
I've never heard of that one. Sounds interesting. What did you make for it?
I was debating putting is a textile piece I just made. It's like this really weird cape where I dyed 1000 goose feathers green and gold foiled the edges. I'm not sure if I have a pic of it, let me look!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sommerackerman/16292135785/
But I'm not sure it's very fine arty. At school we have to make all sorts of art. I hardly do any painting there. I know! It really is a waiting game. I reckon we will start finding out within a week. Scary. I'm sure your portfolio is great! Sounds like you care a lot.
Good luck to you too.
I'm not sure, I just enjoy making independent work, I'm not sure I could go a day without making something it just sort of relaxes me haha.
My GCSE's weren't brilliant. 2 A's, 3 B's, 3 C's and D*D*D* in Art
For BTEC/Alevel I got an E in English (redoing) I'm predicted a B now... exam mess ups, sigh. And I'm predicted something like D*D*D.
What about you?

That piece is gorgeous seriously! I understand why you debated it however as you almost have to consider if this is what they are looking for! Did you put it in? It is very interesting!

Do you really think we find out so soon? I just checked the website and it says notified by the 4th of March.. I suppose they could do that I was suprised at the rate Oxford replied to me! I thought it was from the summer school I had attended there and just ripped it open to see "you are rejected" hahaha.

I got 3A*s, 7A's and 1B... for AS I got 4As and predicted 2A*s 2As.... I really wouldnt worry about your grades though. It's your art that is important! However I think for the written elements of the course that may be the only part we would need the ability but I am sure you will agree that writing about art and writing an exam essay are completely different skills all together which perhaps are not displayed through a grade. (Plus I can see you really do have passion for creation which speaks for itself)

I hope we do find out next week!
I heard that someone found out within two days, but I'm not sure I believe that.
No, I didn't put the piece in. I thought it was a bit 'un fine-arty"
But I do think we will start finding out around the 20th... I'm sorry about Oxford! Was the summer school good? My friend that went for interview there said the art there from people that has interview was really weird and it was like throwing food at walls and photographing rubbish. It was very conceptual, I don't really understand ?? :/
Wow, you're super smart! Well done. I'm not too worried about Essays for art, as we do that in school. Plus I have written talks for when I've presented at galleries. I suppose doing curation I have gained a lot of knowledge about modern art... so I know I could talk for ages on art. It's just I may miss out a comma or two :smile:

Did you get in your rejection email something along the lines of "you had some interesting pieces in your portfolio"?
I heard that someone found out within two days, but I'm not sure I believe that.
No, I didn't put the piece in. I thought it was a bit 'un fine-arty"
But I do think we will start finding out around the 20th... I'm sorry about Oxford! Was the summer school good? My friend that went for interview there said the art there from people that has interview was really weird and it was like throwing food at walls and photographing rubbish. It was very conceptual, I don't really understand ?? :/
Wow, you're super smart! Well done. I'm not too worried about Essays for art, as we do that in school. Plus I have written talks for when I've presented at galleries. I suppose doing curation I have gained a lot of knowledge about modern art... so I know I could talk for ages on art. It's just I may miss out a comma or two :smile:

Did you get in your rejection email something along the lines of "you had some interesting pieces in your portfolio"?

I get you :smile: Yes the summer school was amazing however I am torn between if I fell in love with Oxford or the actual experience of being with a group of totally like-minded individuals. I feel the latter to be honest!

I was fairly gutted I never got in but yeah I did feel when I went to the Ruskin that there was no sense of direction to what they actually liked. Whether you can deem that good or bad I have no idea.

Yes, your skills will be much more valuable and I bet if you do get an interview they will be very interested. I do have curating experience that I luckily attained in the autumn. I think the most interesting part of being in a gallery is just people watching haha

Well I hope we find out sooner rather than later. Then life can perhaps go back to a more "relaxed" pace again. I only have to get an E on Unit 4 for my art to get an A now so I can pretty much guarantee the grades thankfully. In reply to before I have an offer from Lancaster, rejected Oxford, withdrew from UAL, waiting upon Edinburgh and UCL. :smile:
sounds really good! When I went to oxford I found myself less in love with the course and more with the idea instead! haha
Don't worry though, my teachers say that if you don't get in the UNI is not suited to you and you probably wouldn't enjoy it. So just focus on that these ones are probably more you :smile: Well done for Lancaster. Which one from UAL? Also I hear Edinburgh is very good.

I've only got one more unit left" No clue what my grades are art. I'm currently finishing 4 essays for english, they're veryyyy boring.
I just really want an interview to know what's it's like. I think I would faint. It's all I've wanted for a long time.
sounds really good! When I went to oxford I found myself less in love with the course and more with the idea instead! haha
Don't worry though, my teachers say that if you don't get in the UNI is not suited to you and you probably wouldn't enjoy it. So just focus on that these ones are probably more you :smile: Well done for Lancaster. Which one from UAL? Also I hear Edinburgh is very good.

I've only got one more unit left" No clue what my grades are art. I'm currently finishing 4 essays for english, they're veryyyy boring.
I just really want an interview to know what's it's like. I think I would faint. It's all I've wanted for a long time.

I hear you haha! Yes I agree with your teacher. They know what they are looking for however if I don't get an offer from UCL or Edinburgh I will be doing a foundation for definite. I have visited Edinburgh and it really did impress me much more than Oxford and Lancaster. I withdrew from Camberwell...

I hear you loud and clear. Yet at Oxford only about 50 are shortlisted but UCL you say is more 200... it probably works out about the same chance to be shortlisted but still I am sure there are people applying that quite frankly shouldn't be.
I've heard that roughly 1400-1700 can apply to Slade, and they say 100 every year shouldn't have applied. And 200 get interviewed for 40 to get in. I mean, it's not great odd. That means like 50 interviews for each day of like 400 people that put their portfolios in. I'm a bit obsessed with working it out.
Oh I'm not terribly keen on camberwell, it wasn't my favourite of UAL :-(. What foundation will you do?
I'm sure you will get in though
Original post by Artfanatic
I hear you haha! Yes I agree with your teacher. They know what they are looking for however if I don't get an offer from UCL or Edinburgh I will be doing a foundation for definite. I have visited Edinburgh and it really did impress me much more than Oxford and Lancaster. I withdrew from Camberwell...

I hear you loud and clear. Yet at Oxford only about 50 are shortlisted but UCL you say is more 200... it probably works out about the same chance to be shortlisted but still I am sure there are people applying that quite frankly shouldn't be.

Aha! I also applied to Oxford (rejected), UCL and Edinburgh. I only applied to Oxford for the 'tag' tbh, though the course was better than many of the UAL courses I'd seen (too pretentious). Never had a fine art interview and maybe I never will! who knows... I think you are right in saying that UCL shortlist 200, and I hope so too. DKAY but I'll take 1/8 odds.

What was the Oxford interview like btw? I think the reason I wasn't invited up was because of my ABC A level grades, which might have swung the vote.
I've heard that roughly 1400-1700 can apply to Slade, and they say 100 every year shouldn't have applied. And 200 get interviewed for 40 to get in. I mean, it's not great odd. That means like 50 interviews for each day of like 400 people that put their portfolios in. I'm a bit obsessed with working it out.
Oh I'm not terribly keen on camberwell, it wasn't my favourite of UAL :-(. What foundation will you do?
I'm sure you will get in though

I know what you mean haha! I love applying a statistic to myself I guess! I worked out from the Which University guide that if you add the BA percentage of 5% intake and BFA of 4% then, if 20 were equally accepted you both it would equate to 400 applications and 500 applications which would be 900 applications? (Have I worked something out wrong?)

I doubt I will but if I get an interview at UCL I would probably die of excitement before even making it to a train to London haha. I will just be doing a local foundation course as I really cannot afford London without the actual student and accommodation loans. Ahhh I really hope it is next week! Please update when you find out haha :smile:
Original post by bertiewallace123
Aha! I also applied to Oxford (rejected), UCL and Edinburgh. I only applied to Oxford for the 'tag' tbh, though the course was better than many of the UAL courses I'd seen (too pretentious). Never had a fine art interview and maybe I never will! who knows... I think you are right in saying that UCL shortlist 200, and I hope so too. DKAY but I'll take 1/8 odds.

What was the Oxford interview like btw? I think the reason I wasn't invited up was because of my ABC A level grades, which might have swung the vote.

Oooh we are quite the same then! Oh I was rejected pre-interview too! Sad times but clearly it wasn't for me! :smile:
ummm I am taking it as having 1500 applicants, 700, 800 for each. I did BFA I believe.
I think I would too? Are you northern?
let me know as soon as you know :smile:
ummm I am taking it as having 1500 applicants, 700, 800 for each. I did BFA I believe.

BFA and BA are pooled together, there is virtually no distinction other than one has an extra and more academic year. I'm afraid odds don't change for BA/BFA course (I chose BA). All we can do is hope that the other 99% aren't as good as we are!

Initially I had believed it was around 2,000 applicants for undergraduate study at the Slade (don't know where I picked that up from) but the smaller the number the better haha. I applied for the BA :smile:

Yes I am! Are you? Ahhh out of interest, from the people you have talked to who have applied/had interview at slade, do you know abouts when they found out or even a specific date! It certainly calms the nerves haha!
No I'm from London!

I know it roughly about the 20th of Feb.
Everyone there seemed really nice, they were all doing foundations and seemed very trendy!
Original post by bertiewallace123
BFA and BA are pooled together, there is virtually no distinction other than one has an extra and more academic year. I'm afraid odds don't change for BA/BFA course (I chose BA). All we can do is hope that the other 99% aren't as good as we are!

I see. Yes I went for the BA based mostly on the idea of the extra year and what it entails. Yes, that's one positive way of looking at it but the merit of 'good' could be taken into completely different light so it all depends on the portfolio inspection obviously. Ahhhh they will either be viewing my portfolio tomorrow or Wednesday. Exciting!
Original post by Artfanatic
I see. Yes I went for the BA based mostly on the idea of the extra year and what it entails. Yes, that's one positive way of looking at it but the merit of 'good' could be taken into completely different light so it all depends on the portfolio inspection obviously. Ahhhh they will either be viewing my portfolio tomorrow or Wednesday. Exciting!

True, best of luck,
No I'm from London!

I know it roughly about the 20th of Feb.
Everyone there seemed really nice, they were all doing foundations and seemed very trendy!

Well I from the 20th being a Friday I am presuming the 23rd will have responses flowing from them. I feel that without foundation my application will be frowned upon automatically which is understandable but annoying. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest