The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bertiewallace123
Does anyone know much about the second year additional subject thing?

Do we spend like a term doing it or a whole year? and will this mean we won't get any studio time?

I hope its like half a year, a whole year in another subject might derail the art a little,

It's not taking a whole entirely different subject with no studio time or anything. You take one module of your choice, and it's alongside regular studio practice. They may reduce the theory in place of it, I'm not sure. The idea is that it will inform and perhaps diversify your practice - eg if you're doing work based on cells and you take a microbiology module, that will help your work etc.

They explained it pretty well on the open days/open studios, if you went to one.
Original post by ieestok
It's not taking a whole entirely different subject with no studio time or anything. You take one module of your choice, and it's alongside regular studio practice. They may reduce the theory in place of it, I'm not sure. The idea is that it will inform and perhaps diversify your practice - eg if you're doing work based on cells and you take a microbiology module, that will help your work etc.

They explained it pretty well on the open days/open studios, if you went to one.

ah ok cool, looking around each normal student takes 8 modules a year, so it appears it will be relatively marginal if we only take one or two

yh i have a memory like a sieve, i can only remember students art from the open day, visual learner and all that.
St martins submitted me for BA "performance practice and design" instead of fine art...... Not sure why because I've never done set design and I'm not interested in performance..... Any thoughts on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1043
That's strange. How did you find out? Through UCAS?
Original post by eei
That's strange. How did you find out? Through UCAS?

No they emailed me and are going to organise a telephone conversation with the course leader or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got another email afterwards saying they were going to give me an offer without a telephone interview based on the strength of my interview and mini portfolio, but I literally have no idea why....... My mini portfolio isnt really performance design based??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I guess on the bright side I got a place at St martins...... (Even if it isn't for fine art) :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1047
Thinking about it, you might have more chance of finding an actual job after graduating :smile: Set design could be interesting.
I got a rejection :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1049
Original post by floknoyle
I got a rejection :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! From Goldsmiths?
Kind of sad, but also relieved. :smile:
After waiting since February to hear from chelsea, I had a phone interview today with a lovely lady from Wimbledon and she offered me a place on their print and time based media course. Confused as I've never heard of that course... I'll research a bit but I'll probably pick Kingston!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an offer from Goldsmiths, finally able to firm Slade! At long last the application process is over.
Offer from goldsmithsssssss !!!!!!!!
offers from CSM and Goldsmiths, time to decide... if I don't get accepted in schools outside the UK I'll probably go to Goldsmiths for a year and then transfer to someplace more affordable. But i'm hopping to be accepted in Germany or Netherlands though, the tuition fees in UK are beyond any reasonable value. I don't know how it is possible being in europe and everything, UK became totally americanized and neo-liberal, such a shame.
Reply 1054
Neo-liberal?! It become re-Thatcherised with the help of those spineless LibDems who broke their promises. These people would sell their mothers to corporations if they could.
Original post by eei
Neo-liberal?! It become re-Thatcherised with the help of those spineless LibDems who broke their promises. These people would sell their mothers to corporations if they could.

yeah, Tony Blair disguised as a working class hearted man really ****ed that over. Surreal how the values sky-rocked since 2005...I mean, there should be at least one state Uni with the tuition fee values of the rest of europe, which is 1k a year, tops... I'm not even english and I feel so disturbed that so many many people won't even put their feet in a Uni with that type of price, I mean, I have friends who really really struggle to pay 800 euros a year tuition fees If they had to pay those values they wouldn't even bother...
yeh!
Anyone done accom. yet? Its a ****ing fortune, even sharing won't cover my maintenance loan *sob*
Original post by bertiewallace123
Anyone done accom. yet? Its a ****ing fortune, even sharing won't cover my maintenance loan *sob*

ive sent off my accommodation application thing, i did halls and set the amount willing to pay at one of the lowest levels. are you applying for halls or student housing??
Original post by neworder_
ive sent off my accommodation application thing, i did halls and set the amount willing to pay at one of the lowest levels. are you applying for halls or student housing??

I originally put down halls before i applied for a maintenance loan, the loan was just too far off anything so i I resubmitted my UCLaccommodation, takes about 5mins to do. and swapped to student houses. They have more shared rooms (will have to share unfortunately as singles are 2k more) and are self catered (i can cook a good omelette) unlike halls which are all catered bar astor (only 4 twin tho!)

Might resubmit again if i can somehow work out away to get 2k for a single.

Quick Reply

Latest