The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Just rejected by UCAS.
Rejected via Track today. I'm a graduate, reason given was application eligible, but missed the cut-off point for being put on the reserve list. Gutted! Hopefully I'll get good news from Leeds!
Reply 1002
Any graduates still not heard?
Reply 1003
Original post by KezSmyth
Any graduates still not heard?

Hey I'm a graduate & still waiting. just want to know either way now!
Cool.

Yeah, feel more comfortable if I do, I'll be the only guy in a suit by the looks of it then haha!
Reply 1005
Original post by parnie101
Cool.

Yeah, feel more comfortable if I do, I'll be the only guy in a suit by the looks of it then haha!

are you international? when is your interview
Reply 1006
Original post by Dolly_D
Hey I'm a graduate & still waiting. just want to know either way now!

Yeah me too! I'm just starting to worry as I haven't heard!
Hey people! :biggrin:
I was just wondering, do any of you NOT have physics/maths beyond GCSE?
Thanks for any replies... :cool:
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Hey people! :biggrin:
I was just wondering, do any of you NOT have physics/maths beyond GCSE?
Thanks for any replies... :cool:

I don't and I've an offer (interviewed last slot of november). To anyone looking for advice about interview, there isn't much that would be useful; except that you should answer honestly and approach it almost as a conversation. The questions change for each interview day as far as I know and I believe some questions will be designed to make you talk about your experiences. So asking for specific questions isn't much help as your unlikely to be asked the same questions. Good luck to everyone though!
Original post by Banana-Valid
I don't and I've an offer (interviewed last slot of november).

Thanks! Do you mind me asking what subjects you did do? :tongue:
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Thanks! Do you mind me asking what subjects you did do? :tongue:

Not at all- I did Chemistry, Biology, History and Fine Art
applying this year... Please give a honest and total response.

GCSE; 5A* 5A 2B 1C (in English Lang) thinking doing IGCSE Eng lang
AS: Physics, Maths, Bio, Chem (First modu done, result not back)

WE and Extras;

1month Work experience at old peoples nursing home,

1week volunteer at childrens creche,

Due Work Experience at Hospital for 1 week,

Applied for volunteering at British Heart Foundation shop retailing.

St Davids Hospice shop retailing.

Looking to do volunteering other than in shop at the British Red Cross.

Doing DoE Bronze,

volunteering in school, maths buddies, lead a juniors school club.

Thinking of volunteering on a sporty side of things like coaching.

Suscribed to science review magazines

Going to do Young Entreprise

Going to go to different schemes like Cardiff university med experience scheme etc.

Tell me please anything i should or should not do?:s-smilie::smile:
Original post by sgeorge11
applying this year... Please give a honest and total response.

GCSE; 5A* 5A 2B 1C (in English Lang) thinking doing IGCSE Eng lang
AS: Physics, Maths, Bio, Chem (First modu done, result not back)

WE and Extras;

1month Work experience at old peoples nursing home,

1week volunteer at childrens creche,

Due Work Experience at Hospital for 1 week,

Applied for volunteering at British Heart Foundation shop retailing.

St Davids Hospice shop retailing.

Looking to do volunteering other than in shop at the British Red Cross.

Doing DoE Bronze,

volunteering in school, maths buddies, lead a juniors school club.

Thinking of volunteering on a sporty side of things like coaching.

Suscribed to science review magazines

Going to do Young Entreprise

Going to go to different schemes like Cardiff university med experience scheme etc.

Tell me please anything i should or should not do?:s-smilie::smile:

Work experience is great, just make sure you reflect on it well in your PS. Same with ECs; you have more than enough. If you're short on space, you can add the stuff in your last bullet point to the "Activities in preparation for Higher Education" section on your UCAS, and maybe politely ask your referee to add in any ECs on your reference that you couldn't fit on your statement (that's what I did, and it seemed to work!)

The only thing holding you back is the C in GCSE English. BSMS (and most other med schools) require a B, so you may want to think about retaking it. Call them and ask what their policy is on GCSE retakes. Apart from that, your GCSE grades are fine as well, just need to nail your ASs/UKCAT :tongue: Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kidneyjean
Work experience is great, just make sure you reflect on it well in your PS. Same with ECs; you have more than enough. If you're short on space, you can add the stuff in your last bullet point to the "Activities in preparation for Higher Education" section on your UCAS, and maybe politely ask your referee to add in any ECs on your reference that you couldn't fit on your statement (that's what I did, and it seemed to work!)

The only thing holding you back is the C in GCSE English. BSMS (and most other med schools) require a B, so you may want to think about retaking it. Call them and ask what their policy is on GCSE retakes. Apart from that, your GCSE grades are fine as well, just need to nail your ASs/UKCAT :tongue: Good luck!

Yh i know that English Language is giving me such a headach.. I have emailed them in the past and they have replied that my English Literature Grade A is "Just fine to meet their requirement".. I'll do an IGCSE eng lang course anyway however the result will not come before i apply but my head of sixth form has recommened that i put it under current or running qualification to indicate that i am doing it as well.
Does B and S med school accept GCSE resits outside the 2 year period or even in??
Original post by chiny94
Hello, I have no idea where to ask this question but because it is to do with BSMS, i thought I should post it here, full of BSMS applicants :biggrin:
Does anyone know what BSMS is looking for in an applicant? What is their selection criteria and what is their focus (UKCAT, GCSEs...?) when picking people for interview? Thankyou! :biggrin:

I reckon BSMS look for interesting and enthusiastic people! The people I know here have all done a helluva lot of work xp/volunteering, and also have pursued further in their own interests (medically related or not). We've got a professional belly dancer, a crane builder, a nurse cardiologist, a fish enthusiast, an england tag rugby player, and many other interesting people who've done interesting things.
Personally, I don't think I'm that interesting comparatively, but I have done interesting things such as a research study, involved in cancer research, both of which I got asked about (and I talked a lot about!).
Even if you've been working in Tesco's for 5 years, it's a little out of the ordinary, and can be picked up on in the interview!
GCSE's don't matter that much in interview selection, and neither do AS's. A lot is based on your PS and what you've done. Interview selection, and interview.

So yeah, in a nutshell, don't limit yourself to the standard extra cirricular fodder, do other interesting things! :smile:
Original post by bex.13
I too have been reserve listed, does anyone know the realistic chances of us listed people actually get an interview and or offer??

Original post by heeeello
what you said ^^ and also has anyone heard of anyone who has been given an offer/interview who has been on the reserve list in previous years??

Original post by Kidneyjean
There are a few people on the 2011 stalking page who got offers after being put on the waiting list :smile:

STORY OF MY LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE :woo:

Just thought I'd tell you guys don't give up hope!
I was in the same situation last year and it took quite a while for them to come to a decision.
I thought my interview was difficult as hell, that I had a gaff or two, and I'd planned my gap year.
I recieved my offer in late march/early april, after a KILLER wait from November, I didn't even know when they would come to a decision.
It turned out to me by only interview and my only offer.
And now I'm halfway through the first year at BSMS, its awesome (we just finished dissecting the heart and posterior mediastinum!).

So yeah, keep those fingers crossed and do well in your A2's! It would suck so bad to get an offer and then miss it by a few UMS :biggrin:
Reply 1017
anyone have an interview on wednesday? :smile:
Original post by DSal
anyone have an interview on wednesday? :smile:

Wednesday 22nd? :smile:
Original post by Banana-Valid
Not at all- I did Chemistry, Biology, History and Fine Art

Thanks! That's reassuring :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending