Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrietAC)
    No idea yet! haha, when I applied I was set on going to BSMS, but i've kinda warmed up to Peninsula, probably because i have an offer there. I cant decide whether I would be too bother if the med school didnt teach with cadavers. BSMS do, PMS doesnt. I reckon cadavers are a really good learning tool, but at PMS they do anatomy all inteactive and on models. Both are relatively easy to fly to, gatwick or exeter, so just weighing up the pro's and con's of both just incase I get a choice of offers!
    Pick BSMS, here's 3 reasons:

- You might finally get to see who .eXe really is
    - If anatomy teaching is really important to you (as it is to me) then BSMS is the best choice. Theirs is fully integrated, with theoretical learning, clinical models, dissections along with imaging. It really is the most comprehensive model for anatomy teaching.
    - Smaller school so great interaction with students/profs

Some bad things about it though:

- I don't like Brighton, it's very small and really expensive
    - Their football team is ****
    - It's a relatively newer school (this can be both a positive and a negative)

In my opinion, the pros outweight the cons, but I am still deciding myself because there's quite a bit I like about Liverpool, I just can't get over the PBL aspect. Lots of thinking to do!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Pick BSMS, here's 3 reasons:

- You might finally get to see who .eXe really is
    - If anatomy teaching is really important to you (as it is to me) then BSMS is the best choice. Theirs is fully integrated, with theoretical learning, clinical models, dissections along with imaging. It really is the most comprehensive model for anatomy teaching.
    - Smaller school so great interaction with students/profs

Some bad things about it though:

- I don't like Brighton, it's very small and really expensive
    - Their football team is ****
    - It's a relatively newer school (this can be both a positive and a negative)

In my opinion, the pros outweight the cons, but I am still deciding myself because there's quite a bit I like about Liverpool, I just can't get over the PBL aspect. Lots of thinking to do!
    You don't already go to BSMS, right? And have you ever even been to Brighton?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpet21)
    You don't already go to BSMS, right? And have you ever even been to Brighton?
    Nope I have an offer to start this year. And yes, I went there for my interview and stayed a few days.

edit: are you a student there? if yes, can you please post a bit about the school and city? what I posted earlier are my opinions but i'd love to hear some first-hand stuff from current students.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Nope I have an offer to start this year. And yes, I went there for my interview and stayed a few days.

edit: are you a student there? if yes, can you please post a bit about the school and city? what I posted earlier are my opinions but i'd love to hear some first-hand stuff from current students.
    Yeah I'm a student here, school and city are amazing. It's fair enough that Brighton doesn't appeal to you, but people have come here from all over the country and agree that it's easily one of the best student cities in the country. Sure I'll pm you some stuff about the school/city at some point when I get the chance to, I'll see if I can persuade you to pick BSMS.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpet21)
    Yeah I'm a student here, school and city are amazing. It's fair enough that Brighton doesn't appeal to you, but people have come here from all over the country and agree that it's easily one of the best student cities in the country. Sure I'll pm you some stuff about the school/city at some point when I get the chance to, I'll see if I can persuade you to pick BSMS.
    Thank you!! Looking forward to it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    just rejected from soton , bsms here i come! ( i have an unconditional)- see some of you guys there
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amreek77)
    just rejected from soton , bsms here i come! ( i have an unconditional)- see some of you guys there
    grats! are you intl or home? and I assume you were a gap year applicant or graduate?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Guys on post-interview hold list, I have just withdrawn as I already have 3 offers. Good luck to you all, hope you get a place!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    grats! are you intl or home? and I assume you were a gap year applicant or graduate?
    Im a home gap year applicant . just firmed it on ucas track - been nearly 2 years of waiting for that- such a relief
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just had a rejection, I was on the pre-interview reserve list
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex.13)
    Just had a rejection, I was on the pre-interview reserve list
    Same. It was my last chance. Gap year here we come!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Still trying to work out what I did wrong in my previous life to not even deserve an interview for BSMS :dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just rejected. I as on the pre interview reserve list, (home student, yr13). Well done to everyone, maybe next year!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    As above, rejection on preinterview waiting list
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by os93)
    Guys on post-interview hold list, I have just withdrawn as I already have 3 offers. Good luck to you all, hope you get a place!
    Thanks mate!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to all the above rejections guys
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Very sorry to hear about the rejections above.

Please don't panic, believe me I was there with 4 rejections last year (no interviews!) and now I had 3 unconditionals after a lovely gap year. By no means start thinking that having a year out of studying is unproductive, boring or useless. True you will miss your friends, but you will learn so much about you. Do some travelling, Europe is lovely. Get a job and start saving, tuition fees are high enough; plus you will learn how to budget. You will definitely grow a lot, and come back to UCAS 2013 more determined than ever. Whatever you do, just don't give up. Make sure you get really good grades during your exams coming up, bare in mind that required grades will probably go up so aim really high - if they ask for AAA expect A*s to start being a requirement. I would also recommend asking the universities for some feedback as to what you did wrong. If you didn't get in because of your UKCAT or GCSE grades, then belive me your A- level results will make up for it, however be realistic if you got 3As at GCSE don't apply for Birmingham again. Same applies to work experience if you only got 1 week of work experience then seriously consider getting more, maybe get a job that is somehow related to medicine or working with people - care worker is excellent and you will appreciate a nurses job.

Super duper good luck next year, and if anyone has any questions or just feels a bit rubbish and wants to have a chat. Please do PM me
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rejected! Oh well whatever, Im not too disappointed!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAMDS1993)
    Rejected! Oh well whatever, Im not too disappointed!
    Pre interview?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewpeters)
    Pre interview?
    Nah post!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 20, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.