Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chelsea v Manchester United - Champions League Quarter Final

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzzle)
    I'd like to see Rooney and Chica starting to unsettle Chelsea's defence early on, with Park/Nani and Valencia on the wings - pace, power and creativity.
    Scholes and Carrick in the middle and the defence picks itself, Rio clearly isn't match fit even if he is physically fit and throwing him in in one of the biggest away games of the season could prove to be a grave mistake considering how well Smalling has coped.

Chelsea's record against Man Utd at SB, coupled with our away form means that i'd be happy with a score draw, and we can kill them off at OT.
    "kill em off at OT"- last year's league champions? We're not like werder bremen or fenerbahce who you can "kill off" at home
    Don't expect to win at Old Trafford, although you guys are favourites to win at Old Trafford. We've won 3 consecutive league matches against you(don't go into the intricacies of the match),so I wouldn't bank on United doing us at OT.
    I reckon it's an evenly contested game.
    Out of the two teams, I think United are less likely to win the away leg but United more likely to win at home. That's why I can't really say who will go through tbh
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    Out of the two teams, I think United are less likely to win the away leg but United more likely to win at home. That's why I can't really say who will go through tbh
    If United are less likely to win away than are Chelsea, how can they also be more likely to win at home than are Chelsea? Surely the fact that United are less likely to win away implies that Chelsea are more likely to win at home?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Likely to be very tight but can't see United winning at the Bridge. Going to say 2-1 Chelsea.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1-0 Chelsea. Lampard Penalty.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Finally, no English ref. Hahaha. I'm not saying we played well in the recent games versus Chelsea, but I can recall bad decisions in almost every game, going back pretty far. I just hope there's not one tonight and that the best team actually wins.

I dunno about the result, never feel too confident going up against Chelsea, especially at Stamford Bridge. We're overdue a win there, but I'd settle for a score draw and beat them at OT. Rio should be back by then too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Found a really interesting article recently

http://hastorresscoredforchelsea.com/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    Likely to be very tight but can't see United winning at the Bridge. Going to say 2-1 Chelsea.
    The difference between home and away isn´t really that great for most of the teams.

1:0 United
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    no disrespect though
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    "kill em off at OT"- last year's league champions? We're not like werder bremen or fenerbahce who you can "kill off" at home
    Don't expect to win at Old Trafford, although you guys are favourites to win at Old Trafford. We've won 3 consecutive league matches against you(don't go into the intricacies of the match),so I wouldn't bank on United doing us at OT.
    I reckon it's an evenly contested game.
    You may not be like werder bremen or fenerbache but you've also slipped up against lesser teams and not too long ago the prospect of gaining automatic qualification for CL was seemingly out of reach. Also I think Luiz has been a valuable asset to your squad since the January transfer window, his absence in the CL could hinder the strength of your defence.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really optimistic or pessimistic, the teams are so close it could go either way. We lost 2-1 at the bridge before, that was without Rooney on form and they had Luiz, so this could go either way. OT is a fortress this season, main thing is not to do a Spurs, make sure Chelsea still have work to do at OT. 2-1 to them would be fine, getting the away goal is important, I think we will win at OT, but with a clean sheet, not so much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can never call it when Chelsea play United.

They are the one team that I'm not sure about, every other team that United play I'm confident of beating. Based on this seasons form though I think that we will go through over the two ties.

Shocking night for Spurs last night. I just hope we don't do the same.

Unless I'm much mistaken Torres and Luiz are not eligible for this right ?

(I'm a Manchester United fan if it's not clear )
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    United line up will be one of these two according to me:

-------------VDS-----------
    Rafael--Vidic--Rio--Evra
    ---Scholes--Carrick--Park
    --Valencia--Rooney--Nani

OR

-----------VDS------------
    Rafael--Vidic--Rio--Evra
    ----Schoes--Carrick------
    Valencia------------Nani
    -----------Rooney---------
    ----------------Hernandez--

Assumption: Rafael and Rio are match fit.

^^ Anyone disagree with the options? I can see Fergie playing one (or a combinatio of) Gibon Berbatov or Smalling/Evans (and sacrificing Rafael). When we play Chelsea we often fall short because of their towering players, and so certain shorter players may be sacrificed for height in the team.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    UNITED
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Great.Gatsby)
    Only Luiz isnt playing, but Torres will be at the match, whether that's on the bench or on the pitch.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Rio Ferdinand's most used twitter phrase "Lets av iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!"
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Good 'ol rio.

Hopefully Chica and Roo start together. Chelsea won't be expecting that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Rooney Chicharito and Gibson to start I reckon.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    It's looking like Bosingwa will come in to Chelski's defense, means Utd will get some 'luck' down their left.
    I thought Ivanovic was at right back, Alex and Terry CB....:confused:
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Great.Gatsby)
    I can never call it when Chelsea play United.

They are the one team that I'm not sure about, every other team that United play I'm confident of beating. Based on this seasons form though I think that we will go through over the two ties.

Shocking night for Spurs last night. I just hope we don't do the same.

(I'm a Manchester United fan if it's not clear )
    Torres is eligible. Luiz isn't. Lucky you. :P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The obvious prediction is 2-1 Chelsea tonight with Drogba and Lampard goals and probably a UTD Victory at Old Trafford.

I'm a Chelsea fan but being pessimistic expect Utd to win 2-1 or more likely a 1-1 draw? If this is the case then I think we'll actually win at Old Trafford and go through...

And then probably lose to Schalke.
Updated: April 12, 2011
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football match discussion threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.