The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Studying in Huddersfield...moving to Leeds

Hi,

I currently Live in Huddersfield and it's boring as hell (but the Uni is good). I'm tired of being in a small town and I want to move to the city. What area would I be best in? I'm looking for a 1 bedroom flat/studio.

What areas should I avoid? Would I be better staying in Hudds? It's incredibly boring round here though :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I go to New Collge in Hudds :smile:

And try student accomodation?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by jblackmoustache
Hi,

I currently Live in Huddersfield and it's boring as hell (but the Uni is good). I'm tired of being in a small town and I want to move to the city. What area would I be best in? I'm looking for a 1 bedroom flat/studio.

What areas should I avoid? Would I be better staying in Hudds? It's incredibly boring round here though :frown:

Leeds will be a lot more expensive, both the rent itself and paying for travel and you will need to be able to motivate yourself to actually get to lectures etc. But if you've got the moneyand the motivation, it's certainly a more interesting place to live than Huddersfield.
I'd advise getting somewhere as near the station as possible to minimise your travelling. As far as where goes, it depends whether you're looking for specific student accommodation or not. If you're not bothered, a lot of the big new city centre developments are very good value for money at the moment and there are some that are very close to the station - but they might be a bit isolating. If you want to be in student accommodation, you'd probably be equidistant from the station (i.e about 15 minutes walk) at Concept Place, The Triangle, Opal 3 and the Plaza.
Original post by EmerleeX
I go to New Collge in Hudds :smile:

And try student accomodation?

I don't live too far from there. I live in Marsh.

Don't think city centre living is my thing. Those city flats cost way too much.

My uni placement will be in Leeds and I'm only in 2 days a week, so what's the point in being tied to a boring ass town? I'm a Sheffield lad so not used to being in a small place.

Found a place in Hyde Park if thats an ok area? I'm from a council estate anyway so i'm not afraid of a bit of rough lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Hyde Park and Headingley are where most of the students and young folk hang. Somewhere round there would probably be your best bet. Although, Hyde Park is a bit rough, as is nearby Burley.
Reply 5
Hi jblackmoustache,

Did you actually move to Leeds? How was it? How long does it take you to get to the Uni? How much do you pay for transportation?

I'm sorry if these are too many questions but I'm feel the same way as you (I will start a postgraduate course next January and I don't want to live in a small town).

Your experience would be of great value for me so if you could share some tips and information I'd really appreciate.

Quick Reply

Latest