The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Graduate Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oj123
Hi everyone, I am feeling really deflated:frown:, sending out loads of sponsorship letters and just rejection after rejection. Has anyone else had any positive responses, I don't want to know names, but would be really nice to see that there is some hope. Good luck with fundraising:smile:

Hey! 'i've not yet started sending letters, I am planning on ringing and arranging meetings/talk over the phone, then sending follow up letter. Trying to get a bit of a personal touch, in order to secure some sponsorship.. Not sure if it will work, but worth a shot.... Good luck with your fundraising! :smile:
Reply 401
Original post by ElizabethAngela
Hey! 'i've not yet started sending letters, I am planning on ringing and arranging meetings/talk over the phone, then sending follow up letter. Trying to get a bit of a personal touch, in order to secure some sponsorship.. Not sure if it will work, but worth a shot.... Good luck with your fundraising! :smile:

Hi just wondering where the two of you started? I tried calling my last uni (manchester) but the careers centre is a bit useless with courses that they don't offer and so I dont really know where to begin!! Do you have any advice or useful books/websites?
Original post by elena1041
Hi just wondering where the two of you started? I tried calling my last uni (manchester) but the careers centre is a bit useless with courses that they don't offer and so I dont really know where to begin!! Do you have any advice or useful books/websites?

Um, I haven't any amazing answers! I looked for any charities, applied to them, I've set up a website, where I can put more info about my 'quest' then I got my mum to ask for advice at her uni (academic at Oxford) there is a large compendium (apparently "it's as big as an f***ing bible") that provides info on all the charitable trusts etc in the UK, and is available at most libraries.
Other than that, not sure, am harassing anyone I know that is wealthy, and contacting large companies that I have worked for, and will approach others that I haven;t a professional relationship with soon.
However, I feel it is unlikely that I will get any money,and am not relying on it too heavily. I've already sorted the maintenance loan.
However, realistically, I'm probs going to have to get one of the parents to arrange a meeting with their bank managers.....
I'm also planning on betting substantially on the cheltenham gold cup.....
:smile:
Reply 403

have you looked at the BVA page on postgraduate funding?

don't know if that is any help? :smile:
Reply 404
Hi :smile:

I am soo happy to have found this thread. Sadly i have another 3 years to go before I starting applying for grad vet med however I want to get as much information as I can now so I know whether I can ever achieve my dream of being a vet one day.

I got a B an chemistry A level so there was no hope for me applying as an undergrad so instead I thought i would choose a degree I could possibly use to fund graduate vet med, so I chose Pharmacy. I am only in my first year of the 4yr degree and can think of nothing appart from graduating so I can apply for vet med.

I would love to hear if anyone has any advice for me, as many people on here seem to have offers :smile:
Also, the issue of fees...i'm soo confused - for example is anyone going to be paying upfront fees of £26,000 a year- like Edinburgh are charging. And is it really just RVC and Nottingham who charge 9k a year??
Any info much appreciated

Emily
Original post by Mully09
Hi :smile:

I am soo happy to have found this thread. Sadly i have another 3 years to go before I starting applying for grad vet med however I want to get as much information as I can now so I know whether I can ever achieve my dream of being a vet one day.

I got a B an chemistry A level so there was no hope for me applying as an undergrad so instead I thought i would choose a degree I could possibly use to fund graduate vet med, so I chose Pharmacy. I am only in my first year of the 4yr degree and can think of nothing appart from graduating so I can apply for vet med.

I would love to hear if anyone has any advice for me, as many people on here seem to have offers :smile:
Also, the issue of fees...i'm soo confused - for example is anyone going to be paying upfront fees of £26,000 a year- like Edinburgh are charging. And is it really just RVC and Nottingham who charge 9k a year??
Any info much appreciated

Emily

You are obviously partly heading down the route of doing grad entry now - but it is an expensive, long, and hard route. Hence why many people take the option of resitting a levels/gap years instead. But anyway....

Most of the uni's do charge full fees - slightly different amounts, but all high! Nottm, RVC and Cambridge currently charge the same as they charge normal undergrads, so this year it will be £9000. How much the £9000 will have changed in 3 years is anyones guess. Equally, if those three uni's will still be charging the normal under grad amount would hopefully be the same, but could also change - it's up to them. Cambridge have college fees on top of the fees, so end up working out to be pretty much the same as some of the full fee uni's anyway.

This means that Nottm and RVC are insanely competitive for grads (although it is a fair bit easier to get an offer from the other uni's). Nottm seem to interview a very small number of grads for their course, and give a very small number of offers to them. RVC interview grads for their 4yr course and 5yr course (depending on your degree), and take a higher number of grads each year than nottingham, but still not many compared to the number applying.

Some places do 4 yr course for grads with a relevant degree, whether pharmacy would have enough of a cross over I don't know. You would have to ask. Most people on the 4yr at RVC have done biovetsci, animal sci etc. There are a couple of people who have done pharmacy, but I have heard they are getting more picky about how much you need to have covered of modules in your previous degree. Edinburgh and RVC have an intergrated 'graduate' year - so you form your own year and then merge into 3rd year with everyone else. Liverpool do a 4yr version, but you cover modules that you haven't done before with the 1st or 2nd years - so not a specific grad course/year. Bristol allow exemptions from some modules (and a discount on fees), but it still has to be done over 5 yrs. Glasgow and Nottm only offer the 5yr course. Camb is 5yrs (as opposed to the normal 6, as you don't have to intercalate).

At the moment I would say your main focus has to be on doing well in your degree! You need at least a 2:1 in it. Work experience will be needed as well, and a good amount/variety will help you stand out amongst other grads. You will need to sit the BMAT in the yr you apply for RVC (and camb), and this is used as a cut off point for interviewing. So is worth putting effort in to do well at it!

Other than that...only advice I can offer is start saving up! It's not easy to fund your way through a second degree! Unless things change, at the moment, grads get no tuition fee loan but can get a maintainence loan. So still a lot of money to find, with very little holiday to earn money in (but EMS which eats money!) Don't rely on the assumption that you will be able to find sponsorship/grants either. I know of no one who has got much through this kind of thing. At most a few £100 for a year. Which is nothing...yes, it may help a little, but not with the kind of money you need to find. Good luck!
Reply 406
Oh cheers!! Is it just US students at the moment? Yeh i was thinking house share but i do want to live with students I think just for the social aspect but not really sure where to start!! Im going for 4yr what about you? Currently living back home to try and save money! Are you 4/5 yr?

Well I think the face book group began as just the us students but there are a few others on there now. Its me and the cat looking for a place. And yeah I'm 4 yr. Sorry if I've already asked you but are you definitely set on Edinburgh? :smile:
Reply 407
Original post by sophie_aj
Well I think the face book group began as just the us students but there are a few others on there now. Its me and the cat looking for a place. And yeah I'm 4 yr. Sorry if I've already asked you but are you definitely set on Edinburgh? :smile:

Yeh Ive accepted my place now! But honestly it wasnt my first choice I was hoping to leave the UK to do vet med with conservation but thats even more ridiculously expensive!! So yeh just figuring out how im going to afford it now really! What about you? are you definitely Edinburgh?
Reply 408
Yeh Ive accepted my place now! But honestly it wasnt my first choice I was hoping to leave the UK to do vet med with conservation but thats even more ridiculously expensive!! So yeh just figuring out how im going to afford it now really! What about you? are you definitely Edinburgh?

Waiting to hear from Liverpool but I think Edinburgh is my favourite! Have you sorted any Ems?
Reply 409
Waiting to hear from Liverpool but I think Edinburgh is my favourite! Have you sorted any Ems?

No i've literally just been on the fb site and started worrying about it! But i'm not sure what I have to do because it says recommended I do some more equine work but not that I have to? and its a bit difficult as I'm working full time at the moment to try and fund as much as I can! What about you? and Good luck with Liverpool!!
Reply 410

No i've literally just been on the fb site and started worrying about it! But i'm not sure what I have to do because it says recommended I do some more equine work but not that I have to? and its a bit difficult as I'm working full time at the moment to try and fund as much as I can! What about you? and Good luck with Liverpool!!

Don't worry about it. I haven't sorted any yet or got any that is worthy of exemptions. I also work full time. I am going to try and arrange 3 weeks pro rats like 1 day a week as i now you can do that but I don't think Edinburgh will send me info until i confirm my place there. I just don't think I can realistically do more than that as I am not currently studying so we are in the same boat. I also think I am going to be in work til July (LOL) with a project happening the week before Edinburgh starts so who knows when I am going to be moving! So much to think about!

How much equine have you had? I know you don't have toif it's only their recommendation. I would be inclined to prioritise EMS placements... because 12 weeks in 1 year is alot and we are going to need a bit of a life in the first year! lol :smile:
Reply 411
Don't worry about it. I haven't sorted any yet or got any that is worthy of exemptions. I also work full time. I am going to try and arrange 3 weeks pro rats like 1 day a week as i now you can do that but I don't think Edinburgh will send me info until i confirm my place there. I just don't think I can realistically do more than that as I am not currently studying so we are in the same boat. I also think I am going to be in work til July (LOL) with a project happening the week before Edinburgh starts so who knows when I am going to be moving! So much to think about!

How much equine have you had? I know you don't have toif it's only their recommendation. I would be inclined to prioritise EMS placements... because 12 weeks in 1 year is alot and we are going to need a bit of a life in the first year! lol :smile:

SO can we do some of our 12 weeks of EMS before we start uni then? I so have no idea how im going to find the time to get everything done!! I was really hoping to be able to work while I was at uni even if it was just like 8 hours a week or something because of the ridiculous prices but im not sure its possible!!

I've pretty much done no equine i do like horses but ive been really dumb and just got 90% of my experience with wildlife because I know its what i want to do in the future! but I just think I need the money more that the experience at the moment (unless it can count towards the EMS placements)

And I am worried about having any life at all at uni this time round..I did zoology before and I thought we were all animal geeks then but i think it might be worse with vet med!! If you go to edinburgh are you thinking of doing the first 5 weeks in halls then?
SO can we do some of our 12 weeks of EMS before we start uni then? I so have no idea how im going to find the time to get everything done!! I was really hoping to be able to work while I was at uni even if it was just like 8 hours a week or something because of the ridiculous prices but im not sure its possible!!

I've pretty much done no equine i do like horses but ive been really dumb and just got 90% of my experience with wildlife because I know its what i want to do in the future! but I just think I need the money more that the experience at the moment (unless it can count towards the EMS placements)

And I am worried about having any life at all at uni this time round..I did zoology before and I thought we were all animal geeks then but i think it might be worse with vet med!! If you go to edinburgh are you thinking of doing the first 5 weeks in halls then?

I dont know if its the same with Edinburgh but at RVC you can do up to 6 weeks EMS prior to starting the course and you may be able to get some weeks 'knocked off' due to previous experience. i.e. If you did 6 weeks of lambing this year they may consider that as your 1/2 weeks lambing EMS. I think you have to do EMS within certain catergories tho so there might be restrictions on which of them you can do outside of starting the course.
Reply 413

Hum I worked during my first degree but not sure especially for the GEP course. I think the first year might be a but crazy intense but we'll see. In the Edinburgh offer pack there is all the info about EMS. I don't think I will do 5 weeks in halls no. I think most people will do according to the FB page but although I want to meet people I don't think I want to live with other vets (don't take it the wrong way!)

Pheonix is right about the EMS too.
Offer from RVC!!!!!!! YAAAAY! So so pleased, will be firming my offer right away :biggrin: :biggrin: Conditional 2-1
Reply 415
Original post by cornish_pasty
Offer from RVC!!!!!!! YAAAAY! So so pleased, will be firming my offer right away :biggrin: :biggrin: Conditional 2-1

thats amazing congrats!!!!
hopefully i'll be you in 4 years!
Reply 416
Hum I worked during my first degree but not sure especially for the GEP course. I think the first year might be a but crazy intense but we'll see. In the Edinburgh offer pack there is all the info about EMS. I don't think I will do 5 weeks in halls no. I think most people will do according to the FB page but although I want to meet people I don't think I want to live with other vets (don't take it the wrong way!)

Pheonix is right about the EMS too.

Haha dont worry i completely understand why you wouldnt want to live with vets! I just definitely want to live with student but think id kill 1st years either that or just end up pretending im 18 again and getting drunk all the time!!
Im a bit worried about the EMS thing I just dont know if im going to have time before and 12 weeks during the year sounds impossible!!
Have you seen the list of things we need yet? Someone put a link to it on the fb group I hadnt even thought how much boiler suits and steel capped shoes were going to cost!!!!
Reply 417
Hiya all. Just wanted to say congratulations to those with offers :biggrin: and also really sorry to those with rejections. I got rejected from RVC this Tuesday and although I am heartbroken I am determined to reapply. So I hope that any of you who have been rejected will be reapplying too.

Don't give up!

x
Reply 418
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Liverpool offer-unconditional :biggrin: So pleased.

Now got to find accommodation for me, my horse and dog!!!

Congrats to everyone and commiserations on rejections.
Original post by schizopear
congratulations to all the graduates with offers and commiserations to those without - don't give up yet!

i already posted on the main 2012 applicant thread but since i started this thread thought i should update that i've got an offer for the five year course at RVC - so excited! :woo:

hopefully i'll get to meet some of you other graduates at RVC even though i'm not on the same course :smile:

Hey Schizopear. Congrats on the offer. Ive noticed youve been on these threads a while whilst ~I was in my lurking phase so I know you must be super excited to finally be in. Me too! Its taken me years. I ot my offer for RVC Accelerated so I will see you there. Just trying to work out how im going to cover all my expenses now....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending