The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Graduate Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Loosy
Thanks! I thought private finance was probably the right option but I don't want to fill anything in wrong!

you've already worked it out but i phoned UCAS and private finance is the right option.
Reply 101
Original post by schizopear
you've already worked it out but i phoned UCAS and private finance is the right option.

Thanks for confirming! I don't know how I managed to post my last message twice :s-smilie:
Reply 102
I've tried emailing but keep getting referred back to the FAQs on the websites and am going round in circles. I want to know which unis offer conditional places in advance of your graduation result. I really would like to avoid taking a gap year between completing my current degree and hopefully starting a vet med degree if I could avoid it. Does anyone know the answer please? :confused:
Original post by Madlemur
I've tried emailing but keep getting referred back to the FAQs on the websites and am going round in circles. I want to know which unis offer conditional places in advance of your graduation result. I really would like to avoid taking a gap year between completing my current degree and hopefully starting a vet med degree if I could avoid it. Does anyone know the answer please? :confused:

All of them. I applied in my final year of uni to start straight after and had no problems. Often the conditional grade is of a 2:1 so they give you a conditional offer for that if you're successful after interview. I got an unconditional offer from RVC because I already had the right A Levels and grades but the people who interviewed me though it would be a 2:1 offer when I was there :smile: Bristol offer was for a 2:1 though despite the A Levels - hope that helps!
Reply 104
Thanks for that. I thought Edinburgh would not offer until after you had your degree confirmed [I did biology and chemistry and history [AAB grades] rather than maths or physics as the third A level]. I just didn't want to 'waste' an application I definitely wouldn't be considered.
Hmm well I didn't apply to Edin so can't guarantee it but due to the really high fees for grads thereneore on the grapevine is that it's pretty easy to get in as a grad - as long as you meet the academic requirement so I'd imagine it won't be too much of a problem
Reply 106
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself too.
My name is Catriona and I just finished a degree in Biological Sciences with Honours in Reproductive Biology at Edinburgh University.
I am applying for graduate entry vet med this year at Notts and RVC, although I see Cambridge has been mentioned on here too and was wondering if anyone knew the fees for there? I have tried to contact them but as yet no reply.
Was also wondering if anyone had any advice on the school grades situation? I am from Scotland so did highers and got AABBC, although some of these were after second sitting and the C is Chemistry. However I then did a Chemistry module at University and have heard from others that this may suffice? If not I am happy to retake Chemistry but would just like to know.
Finally was wondering if anyone had any personal statement advice? Have wrote multiple drafts but not quite happy with it yet. Finding it hard condensing why I want to do my life long dream into 4000 characters. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cambs wise the fees are the RVC and Notts ones but they also charge £6k + college fees per year

can't help you with the highers I'm afraid but generally a 2:1 or above in a science related degree makes up for previous grades BUT as both the Notts and RVC courses are v competetive a lot of people re-sit anyway. Also what are your advanced highers?
Reply 108
Original post by cconnon1
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself too.
My name is Catriona and I just finished a degree in Biological Sciences with Honours in Reproductive Biology at Edinburgh University.
I am applying for graduate entry vet med this year at Notts and RVC, although I see Cambridge has been mentioned on here too and was wondering if anyone knew the fees for there? I have tried to contact them but as yet no reply.
Was also wondering if anyone had any advice on the school grades situation? I am from Scotland so did highers and got AABBC, although some of these were after second sitting and the C is Chemistry. However I then did a Chemistry module at University and have heard from others that this may suffice? If not I am happy to retake Chemistry but would just like to know.
Finally was wondering if anyone had any personal statement advice? Have wrote multiple drafts but not quite happy with it yet. Finding it hard condensing why I want to do my life long dream into 4000 characters. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello :smile:

I think I can help with your chemistry question! I do not have chemistry A level (bad, I know), but in first year of my biology degree did a massive chemistry module. I emailed RVC and Cambridge about this asking if it would suffice, they said to send a transcript of the exam and the module contents and said that it was fine, as I got over 70% in that module.

I'm guessing if you got a good grade in your chem module and email to check they will say its ok?

If I don't get in this year I'm probably going to take chem A level during my year out, as its much better to have one than not whilst applying!
Reply 109
Hello!

Just popped by to ask how things are going for you all? :smile:

I'm getting really nervous about the BMAT now. Not to mention the fact that about 20 grads will be applying from my Uni/College as well. Only 3 applied last year, it's never been so many! I'm visiting an abattoir on Friday which I am looking forward to, in a weird way. I think it should be quite interesting.

Emma
Reply 110
Hi!

Im having a major panic as I went to send my UCAS off and realised I can't until my tutor has sent in my reference!!! Really wish I could just press send and pay so it was off my mind!
Reply 111
Original post by peggymeg
Hi!

Im having a major panic as I went to send my UCAS off and realised I can't until my tutor has sent in my reference!!! Really wish I could just press send and pay so it was off my mind!

Panic over, gosh that was bad!! Hope everyone has been coping ok with UCAS:colondollar:
Reply 112
Hiya, I have another question for anyone here who might be able to help me.

I have my letter from UCAS and they have told me that my UCAS number has now changed from the Apply number to access Track, and reverted back to the one I had from my previous application for my first degree. So that is fine and I have been using the reverted Track number when sending documents to the Unis. But I am worrying now because I registered with a school for the BMAT ages ago, with my initial Apply UCAS number.

Has anyone else had this change of number, and does anyone know which number I should be using? I suppose I should contact the school I am registered with for the BMAT and inform them my number has changed.

I have visions of none of my documents being associated with my application, and my BMAT just floating around with no-one to match it with :colondollar:

If anyone has any help it would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by Eevee13

Has anyone else had this change of number, and does anyone know which number I should be using? I suppose I should contact the school I am registered with for the BMAT and inform them my number has changed.

My UCAS number also changed AFTER I registered for the BMAT. I got in contact with the people I am doing the exam through (in your case, the school) to tell them. They changed the number on my application - but that was before the BMAT entry deadline!

I was however, told that your UCAS ID isn't essential - as long as you know your own BMAT entry number, so that you can give those details to the universities you have applied for.

I hope this helps!
Reply 114
I also have this problem!! i only just realised after reading your post and have contacted the private exam centre where i am doing the BMAT test but yet no reply. I too will have lost BMAT and documentation!
Reply 115
Original post by Eevee13
Hiya, I have another question for anyone here who might be able to help me.

I have my letter from UCAS and they have told me that my UCAS number has now changed from the Apply number to access Track, and reverted back to the one I had from my previous application for my first degree. So that is fine and I have been using the reverted Track number when sending documents to the Unis. But I am worrying now because I registered with a school for the BMAT ages ago, with my initial Apply UCAS number.

I have visions of none of my documents being associated with my application, and my BMAT just floating around with no-one to match it with :colondollar:

If anyone has any help it would be greatly appreciated!

do they ask for your UCAS number when you enter the BMAT? my college didn't... i didn't actually have a UCAS number when i entered the BMAT!
Reply 116
I had to apply to a private exam centre on the BMAT website and they asked for my ucas number?! I'm sure they would of asked you for one if they needed it?
Reply 117
Original post by schizopear
do they ask for your UCAS number when you enter the BMAT? my college didn't... i didn't actually have a UCAS number when i entered the BMAT!

I also applied separately from my college (because they were so slow!) and just got in contact with a local school which hold the BMAT. They sent me a form to fill in, and on the form it also asked for my UCAS number. My other friends who are applying through our current college haven't had to worry about filling in the form or even if they have their UCAS number (as many didn't) so I think if it is your own college they will make sure you are ok. But if you are worried I guess poke some people at your college!
Original post by Erin01
My UCAS number also changed AFTER I registered for the BMAT. I got in contact with the people I am doing the exam through (in your case, the school) to tell them. They changed the number on my application - but that was before the BMAT entry deadline!

I was however, told that your UCAS ID isn't essential - as long as you know your own BMAT entry number, so that you can give those details to the universities you have applied for.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice, I will email the school to let them know about my UCAS number changing. It changed after the BMAT deadline, and they registered me a few days after I sent the form anyway, but hopefully it will work out. I guess this must happen a lot! Hopefully the reverted Track number is the right one though, at least then my papers will be associated with the right application. Sorry if I have panicked anyone :frown:
Reply 118
Hello,

Things do not seem to be going well for me, I have been looking at the converstations and I am confused, I registered for BMAT with a college and I have had confirmation that my payment has been received and a letter telling me the time and date but no registration number??!! Please can any mature/gruaduate applicants tell me where you got your BMAT number?

Thanks
Reply 119
Hmm my UCAS number got changed to my old one when I got my confirmation as well, I didn't think of that in relation to the one I put on the BMAT registration form!
I shall have to email and find out... yet more emails :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending