The Student Room Group

Occupational therapy experience

hi im thinking of applying to study occupational therapy this september. i dont really have the grades ( biology - D, art - B and p.e - C) but ive recently get a new job as a domiciliary care worker whihc i dunno if that will be good enoughwork experience as il have to come in contact with occupational therapists at some point. im not sure if i should re-take my biology a-level to give me a better chance, any advice??
Reply 1
Look here:

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QNbJ93kUlGoR_SS4uxDy68zlV5HOA-4yIe/HAHTpage/search.HsDetails.run?n=1065156

I know someone who studied OT at York St John University. Many of the brightest minds in the field are lecturers there. The entry requirement is 260 UCAS points. This is BCC in A level terms but they might be flexible, you should check it out. :smile:
At the end of the day you need the grades before they'll even consider you, no use having experience without the grades so that should be your main priority in my opinion. A whole hearted good luck to you and fingers crossed for you.
Reply 3
I have been offered a place to do OT at YSJ and my grades are not high enough but I do have a degree (only a 2.2) and am over 21 so considered a "mature" student . I also have over a years experience in a job helping kids with difficulties. Would recommend you take real care doing your personal statement and let it sell yourself so they would be daft not to at least interview you. Good Luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Bambo
hi im thinking of applying to study occupational therapy this september. i dont really have the grades ( biology - D, art - B and p.e - C) but ive recently get a new job as a domiciliary care worker whihc i dunno if that will be good enoughwork experience as il have to come in contact with occupational therapists at some point. im not sure if i should re-take my biology a-level to give me a better chance, any advice??

Hi I would suggest doing an access course with health sciences. It really prepares you for studying at uni. Hard work but well worth it. Probably best to try focusing on getting direct work experience if you can for instance a couple of days in a hospital ot dept I just rand around and when i said i was doing access they let me do 2 experience. Also volunteer work always looks good for your personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest