The Student Room Group

Does which college I go to for my access course matter?

Do you think universitys judge your application on which college you studied your access course? or is it just purely judged upon the grades you achieved while you were there?

If it helps I'm looking to apply to Nottingham, Reading, Newcastle & Harper Adams. (i.e do you think these unis would judge my application on where I went to college).

Reply 1
It doesn't really make any difference what college you go to. Most further education institutions are judged about the same by universities. The thing that is, however, important is the course content that is taught at each college.

You should do a bit of research into each of the colleges to find out exactly what their Access course consists of. Each institution will have its own curriculum and, depending on the degree that you want to do, you may have to be extremely careful about what course you sign up for. This advice is especially important to take into account if you want to get into any science based degree, as the degree courses often require prerequisite knowledge which is only taught at some colleges.

Check with the universities exactly what they require, then check with the colleges you intend to go to to ensure that their course meets the spec that the universities have stipulated. That's your safest bet.
Reply 2
Original post by TomU
It doesn't really make any difference what college you go to. Most further education institutions are judged about the same by universities. The thing that is, however, important is the course content that is taught at each college.

You should do a bit of research into each of the colleges to find out exactly what their Access course consists of. Each institution will have its own curriculum and, depending on the degree that you want to do, you may have to be extremely careful about what course you sign up for. This advice is especially important to take into account if you want to get into any science based degree, as the degree courses often require prerequisite knowledge which is only taught at some colleges.

Check with the universities exactly what they require, then check with the colleges you intend to go to to ensure that their course meets the spec that the universities have stipulated. That's your safest bet.

Thanks for the reply mate, I have already contacted the universitys regarding what they wish for me to study in my access course and they say as long as I do modules in Biology and Chemistry they will accept me. However Newcastle went into more detail and stated that they require at least 30 level 3 credits at a minimum of merit, do you know what this means? as I have no idea.
Reply 3
When you do an Access course, your assignments are graded and you are awarded credits. These can be either at level 2 (GCSE) or level 3 (A Level).

Level 2 credits can only be gained at "pass" level. Level 3 credits, however, can be earnt at either Pass, Merit or Distinction. You'll get grade descriptors with each assignment so you'll know what you need to do in order to get merits and distinctions at level 3.

In order to complete your access course, you'll need to get a minimum of 45 credits at level 3 (any grade) and 15 credits at level 2. Some universities, such as your Newcastle example, may require some of your level 3 credits to be achieved at a certain grade though to meet their conditions of entry.

The idea is simply to make it easier for universities to determine how able a student is. If you get 45 distinctions at level 3 and 15 credits at level 2, this is worth the equivalent of A*AA at A level, for example, whilst a mere pass might be worth EEE at A level. Universities all have differing requirements and some are vague about what they'll accept on an Access course, whilst they state A-level requirements. A useful table to get an idea of what Access credits are in "A level currency" is here:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/undergraduate/apply/201011Equivalenciesv2.pdf
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TomU
When you do an Access course, your assignments are graded and you are awarded credits. These can be either at level 2 (GCSE) or level 3 (A Level).

Level 2 credits can only be gained at "pass" level. Level 3 credits, however, can be earnt at either Pass, Merit or Distinction. You'll get grade descriptors with each assignment so you'll know what you need to do in order to get merits and distinctions at level 3.

In order to complete your access course, you'll need to get a minimum of 45 credits at level 3 (any grade) and 15 credits at level 2. Some universities, such as your Newcastle example, may require some of your level 3 credits to be achieved at a certain grade though to meet their conditions of entry.

The idea is simply to make it easier for universities to determine how able a student is. If you get 45 distinctions at level 3 and 15 credits at level 2, this is worth the equivalent of A*AA at A level, for example, whilst a mere pass might be worth EEE at A level. Universities all have differing requirements and some are vague about what they'll accept on an Access course, whilst they state A-level requirements. A useful table to get an idea of what Access credits are in "A level currency" is here:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/undergraduate/apply/201011Equivalenciesv2.pdf

Ok I understand now, thanks for all the help. (I repped you). :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by ForgetAboutIt.
Ok I understand now, thanks for all the help. (I repped you). :biggrin:

With all respect to Tom, the Durham table gives a good idea of how some unis see it but others do not follow those kind of guidelines. (unforunately).

To be honest it is a bit of a headache trying to guess what grades they will ask for when it comes to Access courses.

I applied to two different unis, both asking for BBB at A-level. One asked me for 25 distinctions the other said just pass the course..... I know a guy who was asked for 30 merits for a BBB course at Nottingham (the proper one).... which I thought was a nice offer for such a good Uni.

I don't think it matters what FE college you do the Access course at, the courses are externally verified anyway.

Check and double check the entry requirements for any kind of BSc / BEng degree. Some may want additional Maths/Science qualifications that you may not already have or gain via Access to HE; best to find out now and do something about it, than find you are stuffed after you have applied.

Pay attention, work hard and stay on top of your work throughout the course. I mean seriously, I cannot stress this point enough. Up until this point I have actually stayed well ahead by getting stuff done early, sometimes weeks ahead of the actual deadline. Yet here I am still faced with approx 14 assignments to get done between now and mid June - some of them are big 6 credit assignments too, that means a lot of my final grade will depend on how they turn out.

I feel stressed and I'm already having to manage my time very carefully. I don't know how people who are already 3 or 4 assignments behind are going to cope. You simply cannot afford to fall behind on an Access course.

Looking ahead a bit............Make sure your personal statement is flawless and try to impress your tutors early on in the course; the university admissions tutors don't have much to go on with Access students; a good PS and top notch reference could just swing it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Do you think universitys judge your application on which college you studied your access course? or is it just purely judged upon the grades you achieved while you were there?

If it helps I'm looking to apply to Nottingham, Reading, Newcastle & Harper Adams. (i.e do you think these unis would judge my application on where I went to college).

Harper Adams? You must be doing an Agriculture or related degree then. I'd avoid the place like the plague if I were you, as the Royal Ag are planning major payback after HA decided to plough (yes, a tractor and plough!) the Ag's rugby pitch :lol:

In all seriousness (and having a mate from Access thats now at the Royal Ag), there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to get on to a decent agricultural course with the right grades and a decent reference from the vast majority of Access course providers (as long as they teach modules that your chosen uni's are happy with) - I don't think that the course provider is the important bit.
Reply 7
Original post by Heinz the German
Harper Adams? You must be doing an Agriculture or related degree then. I'd avoid the place like the plague if I were you, as the Royal Ag are planning major payback after HA decided to plough (yes, a tractor and plough!) the Ag's rugby pitch :lol:

In all seriousness (and having a mate from Access thats now at the Royal Ag), there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to get on to a decent agricultural course with the right grades and a decent reference from the vast majority of Access course providers (as long as they teach modules that your chosen uni's are happy with) - I don't think that the course provider is the important bit.

Haha! yeah I'm looking to study farm business management, to be honest harper was going to be my last choice! :lol:.

All the unis I listed have already stated that if I study modules in chemistry, biology and buisiness they will definately consider me; so I guess that means I'm in with a chance. Does it only matter to the unis what modules your studying (i.e chemistry & biology) or do they also want to know the content of each module?
None of the uni's I have been offered places at wanted to know what the content of the modules was.
Reply 9
Original post by BigV
With all respect to Tom, the Durham table gives a good idea of how some unis see it but others do not follow those kind of guidelines. (unforunately).

This is correct. The link to the Durham guide was just that - only a guide. It's best to check the entry requirements direct with universities if you want to know what their typical offers to Access students are.

My offers are all for courses that ask for A*AA - AAA at A level, but my offers have varied from 36 distinctions to just 12 distinctions and 21 merits, which shows the disparity between different institutions.
Reply 10
Haha! yeah I'm looking to study farm business management, to be honest harper was going to be my last choice! :lol:.

All the unis I listed have already stated that if I study modules in chemistry, biology and buisiness they will definately consider me; so I guess that means I'm in with a chance. Does it only matter to the unis what modules your studying (i.e chemistry & biology) or do they also want to know the content of each module?

what will generally happen is you're invited to a "technical interview". should you answer the questions to a decent standard and show good communication skills you will be given an offer.

, however, i doubt it will even come to that. as long as your course is QAA accredited i would have thought the modules would be sufficent - irregardless of college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending