The Student Room Group

TSR's 2012 Tuition Fees Tracker - how much are universities charging in 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
But you ought to have known that it might change. This is one of the inherent risks of the system and you should have acted knowing this risk existed.

How am I supposed to know it's changed? I look at the website and it quite clearly states the year of the course you'll be starting, all the info and of course the entry requirement. Nothing on its website suggests that it would change. There's nothing on UCAS either.

It's a bit like going into a restaurant, paying for the for a food and then eating it and after you've eaten, the waiter comes along and says that while I was eating, the price of the food had changed and it's now doubled. Had I known, would I have gone in to that restaurant? Of course not, but it's too late, I've already eaten the food.

See where I'm coming from?
Original post by CharleyChester
It's life.

Edit: Also if you'd know you'd only get ABB (as you keep saying) why would you apply to two universities who want AAB? Surely thats wasting two choices straight away.

You keep missing the point, forget the ABB. It may be life but it's cheating. Thank god most institutions don't do it an it's a rarity.

My point is, it's unfair to state one thing as fact, fool a student into applying to your uni and thus putting your uni down as one of his choice on UCAs and then changing the requirement. Meaning the student is unable to drop Lancester and replace it with another uni and in turn meaning the student only had 4 real choices as oppose to the 5 we normally get.
Original post by Cesar Lecat
How am I supposed to know it's changed? I look at the website and it quite clearly states the year of the course you'll be starting, all the info and of course the entry requirement. Nothing on its website suggests that it would change. There's nothing on UCAS either.

It's a bit like going into a restaurant, paying for the for a food and then eating it and after you've eaten, the waiter comes along and says that while I was eating, the price of the food had changed and it's now doubled. Had I known, would I have gone in to that restaurant? Of course not, but it's too late, I've already eaten the food.

See where I'm coming from?

Read pages 154 and 155 of your prospectus
You keep missing the point, forget the ABB. It may be life but it's cheating. Thank god most institutions don't do it an it's a rarity.

My point is, it's unfair to state one thing as fact, fool a student into applying to your uni and thus putting your uni down as one of his choice on UCAs and then changing the requirement. Meaning the student is unable to drop Lancester and replace it with another uni and in turn meaning the student only had 4 real choices as oppose to the 5 we normally get.

I'm not missing the point at all. I just think you're talking out of your arse. How is it unfair that one university ups its grades when in your 'illustration' you apply to two universities higher anyway?

It's not cheating. It's not fooling or deceiving anyone. They can do what they want and if you don't like it, you phone them.
Read pages 154 and 155 of your prospectus

I didn't mean literally. I've never applied to lancester so I don't have the prospectus.

I'm not missing the point at all. I just think you're talking out of your arse. How is it unfair that one university ups its grades when in your 'illustration' you apply to two universities higher anyway?

It's not cheating. It's not fooling or deceiving anyone. They can do what they want and if you don't like it, you phone them.

**** me. Okay, since you keep focusing on those grades. Let's say I knew I could get AAB? Happy? Now go back to my illustration and see my point. When I mean High risk, I mean high risk as in it's the highest grades I can get, which is AAB. Get it?

If you don't think it's deceiving then get a dictionary out and read the meaning.

You apply to a uni in november, it quite clearly states they require ABB. You put down as one of your choices and you pay your UCAS fee. Then all of a sudden they change their requirement to AAB and you can't replace the uni from ucas and your stuck.
I didn't mean literally. I've never applied to lancester so I don't have the prospectus.

**** me. Okay, since you keep focusing on those grades. Let's say I knew I could get AAB? Happy? Now go back to my illustration and see my point. When I mean High risk, I mean high risk as in it's the highest grades I can get, which is AAB. Get it?

If you don't think it's deceiving then get a dictionary out and read the meaning.

You apply to a uni in november, it quite clearly states they require ABB. You put down as one of your choices and you pay your UCAS fee. Then all of a sudden they change their requirement to AAB and you can't replace the uni from ucas and your stuck.

You know what I am done with you. Get down off your high horse before you do your ego some injury. Y'know **** does happen, but you deal with it and move on.

Just as a side note about you phoning and complaining to UCAS:

3 Disclaimer

3.1 UCAS has taken care to ensure that the information on the network is correct. However, no warranty, express or implied, is given as to its accuracy and UCAS does not accept any liability for error or omission. UCAS is not responsible for how the information is used, how it is interpreted or what reliance is placed on it. We do not guarantee that the information on the network is fit for any particular purpose.
You know what I am done with you. Get down off your high horse before you do your ego some injury. Y'know **** does happen, but you deal with it and move on.

Just as a side note about you phoning and complaining to UCAS:

High horse? It's common sense love. The fact that you seem to think it's perfectly fine and acceptable is astounding.

Oh and that UCAS quote you posted is referring to information on the UCAS website, not the information on the websites of the universities.
High horse? It's common sense love. The fact that you seem to think it's perfectly fine and acceptable is astounding.

Oh and that UCAS quote you posted is referring to information on the UCAS website, not the information on the websites of the universities.

At the end of the day, the universities can do and will do what they want. The opinion of us students is not going to change that. Lancaster is just one of a number of Universities this has happened it and with the huge numbers of students applying they are quite within their rights to make tighter restrictions and requirements in order to not be over subscribed in the next academic year. Universities can be fined huge amounts of money for taking more students than they are allowed to.

I never said it was fine or acceptable for them to do it, i just actually understand why they have to do it and can accept its a fact of life and move on.

Conversation over.
Essex :mmm:
Reply 189
I have to agree with your complaint to a point. With a university prospectus, they are produced so far in advance (we are currently working on material for the 2013 prospectus) you have to take any entry requirements as a rough guideline only.

However, there is no excuse for universities not to have their current requirements clearly displayed on their website. XXX University is by no means the only institution that does this and it is simply not good enough. As stated it often means a wasted choice for the applicant and makes my life hell when applicants ring up to complain! It also makes us look stupid - if we can't get the info on the website correct, why have any faith in what we do.
(edited 13 years ago)
At the end of the day, the universities can do and will do what they want. The opinion of us students is not going to change that. Lancaster is just one of a number of Universities this has happened it and with the huge numbers of students applying they are quite within their rights to make tighter restrictions and requirements in order to not be over subscribed in the next academic year. Universities can be fined huge amounts of money for taking more students than they are allowed to.

I never said it was fine or acceptable for them to do it, i just actually understand why they have to do it and can accept its a fact of life and move on.

Conversation over.

Not good enough reason. Plenty of Unis stick with the same requirement and they know they will get tons of people applying. Bristol I think required AAA for History and had over 1200 people applying, with only 100 places. How do you think they managed to give out offers and rejections? It's not difficult to separate students from their GCSE grades and how well written their personal statements are.

Original post by wdywuk
I have to agree with your complaint to a point. With a university prospectus, they are produced so far in advance (we are currently working on material for the 2013 prospectus) you have to take any entry requirements as a rough guideline only.

However, there is no excuse for universities not to have their current requirements clearly displayed on their website. Lancaster is by no means the only institution that does this and it is simply not good enough. As stated it often means a wasted choice for the applicant and makes my life hell when applicants ring up to complain! It also makes us look stupid - if we can't get the info on the website correct, why have any faith in what we do.

Paper prospectus I can understand. Even the requirement on the website suddenly changing in September I can understand. But in October/November/December/January? No chance, completely unfair and a person who applied to that uni cannot have the option to withdraw from that uni and replace their choice.
Reply 191
But in October/November/December/January? No chance, completely unfair and a person who applied to that uni cannot have the option to withdraw from that uni and replace their choice.

I could show you a whole slew of uni wesites that still have their old requirements up, so changing them in Oct/Nov/Dec is better than a lot of places!
Original post by wdywuk
I could show you a whole slew of uni wesites that still have their old requirements up, so changing them in Oct/Nov/Dec is better than a lot of places!

Like I said, the practice thankfully looks rare. Most people I know have never come across this before or experienced it. Nor have I.
Reply 193
But unfortunately we do have a shortage of people who know how to make barrels

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7819254.stm

Screw education, I want to become a cooper. :smile:
One thing that you seem to be missing about this whole "it's so unfair to change the requirements etc etc" is that most, if not all, university websites and prospectuses will quote a (and here's the kicker) "typical" offer. Note that this gives them the option to raise the grades if they want, or to even lower them if they so choose. Typical does not mean that that's what you need to get in and that's everything done. Typical means that if all goes as they expect, that's what you're likely to need. However, in the situation mentioned at Lancaster, they obviously received more applications than expected and have therefore upped the requirements.
Reply 195
Original post by alfaromeo

My insurance... so at least I know I'll be getting a 'quality education' if I don't get into my firm... :rolleyes: :redface:
Original post by Uni in the UK
One thing that you seem to be missing about this whole "it's so unfair to change the requirements etc etc" is that most, if not all, university websites and prospectuses will quote a (and here's the kicker) "typical" offer. Note that this gives them the option to raise the grades if they want, or to even lower them if they so choose. Typical does not mean that that's what you need to get in and that's everything done. Typical means that if all goes as they expect, that's what you're likely to need. However, in the situation mentioned at Lancaster, they obviously received more applications than expected and have therefore upped the requirements.

Exactly.
Cesar Lecat really are up themselves over this.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12949232

Below are Liverpool John Moores University position in the league tables:

Times (2011) 98
Independent (2011) 102
Guardian (2011) 109

There are approx 120 universities listed on the league tables.
Original post by ultimate mashup

Original post by ultimate mashup
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12949232

Below are Liverpool John Moores University position in the league tables:

Times (2011) 98
Independent (2011) 102
Guardian (2011) 109

There are approx 120 universities listed on the league tables.

Fantastic University, fully support its decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending